My Flyaway Came Home 5 weeks later

khellio

On Easter Saturday I cried as my DJI 450 flew away into oblivion to never be seen again..or so I thought.

I'd been flying just on dusk amidst a heavily treed area just near where I live. Visibility was getting low so I decided it was time to quit so I started to bring my 450 back towards me.
Everything was going fine until I flew behind a tree and came out the other side and hit the overhead power lines. The 450 sort of untangled itself from the upper level wires and descended smack dead into the lower ones.

Once again it disengaged but when I attempted to control it, it just took off in the opposite direction until almost out of site. I have a Naza M Lite fitted so kicked in the failsafe but instead of it rising as it's supposed to do before heading back home, it just continued on it's merry way until I lost sight of it completely.

I couldn't understand what had happened and spent hours that night trying to see the flashing light of the Naza among the trees or on the ground but all in vain as was my search the following day and for several days and weeks after.

In frustration and with a glimmer of hope, I posted notices in obvious places like at the local school and on trees and telegraph post offering a substantial reward for info leading to the recovery of my baby.

At last I gave up after 5 weeks and decided to buy a F550. I ordered it online from a DJI dealer in Melbourne ( I live on the Gold Coast) (They're both in Australia :))

That was on Monday.

As is often the case, (like when you throw something away thinking you'll never need or use it again and then find the following day that you need it) on Tuesday afternoon I had the phone call I'd been waiting for, for 5 weeks. Someone had seen one of the notices at the local school and called me.
He'd found it the very evening I'd lost it when his dog started to bark so he went to investigate. He'd found it upside down under a tree where it must have come down when the batteries went flat.

It must have come down into the tree where it had flipped on descent hitting the bottom plate on a rock or something and breaking a small piece off the corner.

The only other damage was a broken cable tie which held one of the speedies on and the lipo battery wouldn't charge and was swollen.
It was obvious what must have happened as soon as I looked at it. The Naza satellite receiver disc had been spun completely around a full 180 degrees so it was pointing backward instead of forward and must have occurred when it entangled in the power lines.

I took it home, replaced the battery and the cable tie, turned the disc around and took it for a spin in the back yard.
Another happy ending to a true story...but now I have 2 multi-copters..... or I will when the new one arrives probably tomorrow.

I'm wondering now if there are tracking devices which can be fitted and activated with an Iphone?

Last edited by a moderator:

Av8Chuck

Why would you buy another DJI after the last one you owned flew away?

What would have happened if instead of hitting the tree it hit someone or the guys dog?

The best kind of tracking device is to use a controller that won't fly away uncontrolled in the first place.

khellio

Why would you buy another DJI after the last one you owned flew away?

What would have happened if instead of hitting the tree it hit someone or the guys dog?

The best kind of tracking device is to use a controller that won't fly away uncontrolled in the first place.
I have no idea what you are talking about or why you would post such a reply when I made it quite clear that this instance was a rare happening and is extremely unlikely to ever happen again.
I can only assume that you are one of those people who posts such idiotic replies in order to spoil great forums like this for everyone and my only regret is that it didn't hit you!

Av8Chuck

I have no idea what you are talking about or why you would post such a reply when I made it quite clear that this instance was a rare happening and is extremely unlikely to ever happen again.
I can only assume that you are one of those people who posts such idiotic replies in order to spoil great forums like this for everyone and my only regret is that it didn't hit you!

So you think fly aways with DJI's are a rare occurrence? Maybe you should google "fly-aways" then spend the next six weeks or so reading and watching videos about them, then maybe you'll have an idea of what I'm talking about. That term was invented for DJI.

Your assumption would be wrong and if you keep expressing regret for not hitting other members your tenure on this great forum might be limited.

But that's OK, I have been doing this for so long that I had forgotten the excitement of my first multirotor.

RE: Your question regarding tracking devices...... the following have proven very successful for a wide range of aerial related hobbies and commercial activities..... The President, i.e., Greg provides very reliable products with long range at a good price..... never mind the hokey web site design.... he is a radio whiz, not a website developer. http://www.bigredbee.com/

On Easter Saturday I cried as my DJI 450 flew away into oblivion to never be seen again..or so I thought.

I'd been flying just on dusk amidst a heavily treed area just near where I live. Visibility was getting low so I decided it was time to quit so I started to bring my 450 back towards me.
Everything was going fine until I flew behind a tree and came out the other side and hit the overhead power lines. The 450 sort of untangled itself from the upper level wires and descended smack dead into the lower ones.

Once again it disengaged but when I attempted to control it, it just took off in the opposite direction until almost out of site. I have a Naza M Lite fitted so kicked in the failsafe but instead of it rising as it's supposed to do before heading back home, it just continued on it's merry way until I lost sight of it completely.

I couldn't understand what had happened and spent hours that night trying to see the flashing light of the Naza among the trees or on the ground but all in vain as was my search the following day and for several days and weeks after.

In frustration and with a glimmer of hope, I posted notices in obvious places like at the local school and on trees and telegraph post offering a substantial reward for info leading to the recovery of my baby.

At last I gave up after 5 weeks and decided to buy a F550. I ordered it online from a DJI dealer in Melbourne ( I live on the Gold Coast) (They're both in Australia :))

That was on Monday.

As is often the case, (like when you throw something away thinking you'll never need or use it again and then find the following day that you need it) on Tuesday afternoon I had the phone call I'd been waiting for, for 5 weeks. Someone had seen one of the notices at the local school and called me.
He'd found it the very evening I'd lost it when his dog started to bark so he went to investigate. He'd found it upside down under a tree where it must have come down when the batteries went flat.

It must have come down into the tree where it had flipped on descent hitting the bottom plate on a rock or something and breaking a small piece off the corner.

The only other damage was a broken cable tie which held one of the speedies on and the lipo battery wouldn't charge and was swollen.
It was obvious what must have happened as soon as I looked at it. The Naza satellite receiver disc had been spun completely around a full 180 degrees so it was pointing backward instead of forward and must have occurred when it entangled in the power lines.

I took it home, replaced the battery and the cable tie, turned the disc around and took it for a spin in the back yard.
Another happy ending to a true story...but now I have 2 multi-copters..... or I will when the new one arrives probably tomorrow.

I'm wondering now if there are tracking devices which can be fitted and activated with an Iphone?

khellio

So you think fly aways with DJI's are a rare occurrence? Maybe you should google "fly-aways" then spend the next six weeks or so reading and watching videos about them, then maybe you'll have an idea of what I'm talking about. That term was invented for DJI.

Your assumption would be wrong and if you keep expressing regret for not hitting other members your tenure on this great forum might be limited.

But that's OK, I have been doing this for so long that I had forgotten the excitement of my first multirotor.

I didn't mean it was a rare occurrence for DJI's, I meant it was a rare occurrence for me. I live in a very sparsely populated area and the mere fact that it did land close to anything other than trees, is also rare in itself.
I don't quite understand what you meant by saying "I've been doing this for so long" Do you mean flying or do you mean f*rting on newbies posts and making idle threats which I doubt you could follow through with anyway?
Oh. I'm sorry. Didn't I mention I'm a newbie both to this forum and flying multi's?
Or are you some sort of self proclaimed guru who targets newbies in some form of self righteous initiation to make them feel unwelcome here where everyone else is so friendly and helpful?

But that's OK too. Reply if you have to have the last word but I won't bother to respond again. I'll be too busy flying into houses and dogs and little old ladies in wheelchairs and whatever else.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Although I'm aware of the DJI flyway syndrome, I can't imagine any FC would be immune to A) having its GPS spun around and B) it being spun around by power lines....TWICE!.

Seems that's about the most Abbot & Costello type mishap that could happen to these electronics devices :)

glad you got your MR back. I've suggested posting signs to several people who have lost their craft - it's nice to see that it works for some people.

Shabadoo

If you ever have a flyaway, put your R/C into manual mode. That is your only hope if the flight controller goes haywire. Put your name and contact info on your quadcopter. Help the person who finds it to find you.

haha49

human error...

Set the thing to auto land then it just comes down and lands instead of flying back. If it loses satlight lock it can cause it to lose it's homelocation ect. If the attena isn't pointed foward it can fly funny in gps mode as well. Most people just don't understand how it works fully and that's why they run into problems.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
...............Everything was going fine until I flew behind a tree and came out the other side and hit the overhead power lines. The 450 sort of untangled itself from the upper level wires and descended smack dead into the lower ones.....................

did anyone that wrote to bash DJI actually read the original post where khellio said he flew the helicopter behind a tree (1st no-no) and into a power line (2nd no-no)???

where does the bashing come from when the first post of the thread admits very clearly that it was pilot error?

It's the same premise as product reviews. Mostly the angry people go on and give bad reviews and most of the happy people are out flying. I think the overall percentage of "Fly-Away" crafts vs. perfectly functional is going to be extremely small...

did anyone that wrote to bash DJI actually read the original post where khellio said he flew the helicopter behind a tree (1st no-no) and into a power line (2nd no-no)???

where does the bashing come from when the first post of the thread admits very clearly that it was pilot error?

+1 Bartman!

khellio

Exactly. This had nothing to do with the model or brand of quad. This had everything to do with my error in flying into overhead power lines which reversed the satellite disc.
The machine did exactly what it was told to do by the navigation system and could just as easily happen to any make or brand but it's a lesson well learned.

Treg

Captain Fudpucker
If you read those closely you will find out that 95% of them are pilot error or builder error not the mfr. I have 5 NAZA systems V1/V2 and lite and have been flying them for 3 years and have not had as much as 1 glich in any of them