My brushless gimbal result

badbill

I have one on the way, that I will use on my 6s S-800 hexa. I will need a separate lipo for the gimbal, what voltage is working best? Are the initial settings for 3s or 4s? Has anyone tried using a BEC to power the gimbal motors?

Thanks,

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

Kilby

I finally got around to testing my gimbal. Weather has been crap here, so it took a little while to get to it.

No real subject matter, just testing the hardware at the baseball field, but I'm really happy with it so far. I'm hoping to get some good footage this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

GotHeliRC

http://gothelirc.com
You have to adjust the positioning of the camera when you change the lens in order to maintain balance. When you use the 18-55 lens, the whole camera sits back further in the gimbal and there is plenty of space to use the HDMI cable mentioned. With the 16mm lens, the HDMI plug gets in the way of the gimbal and you have to make the modification mentioned. I attempted them myself since I use the 16mm, but even after being extremely careful with the mod, the cable wasn't able to handle it and stopped working. It's a shame that this gimbal isn't just a few mm wider so that this issue would go away on it's own. I love my gimbal, but this is the one drawback in my opinion. I have opted to use a small FPV camera mounted ontop of my lens instead of the HDMI output. With this approach, you get the added benefit of not needing an HDMI converter onboard adding more weight to the build.

Humm, I have done mine and it has been working fine.... I did shoot a bit of hot glue over it and heat shrink it though. Everything seem to be pretty solid. Personally I would preferred it this way, I wouldn't want a giant plug or 90degree converter. It would be adding about 10mm to use a 90degree adapter and 20mm to use a normal plug. If you really want it, I can do the surgery for you. :)

badbill

Anyone?

I have one on the way, that I will use on my 6s S-800 hexa. I will need a separate lipo for the gimbal, what voltage is working best? Are the initial settings for 3s or 4s? Has anyone tried using a BEC to power the gimbal motors?

Thanks,

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

Kilby

Humm, I have done mine and it has been working fine.... I did shoot a bit of hot glue over it and heat shrink it though. Everything seem to be pretty solid. Personally I would preferred it this way, I wouldn't want a giant plug or 90degree converter. It would be adding about 10mm to use a 90degree adapter and 20mm to use a normal plug. If you really want it, I can do the surgery for you. :)

I'm not complaining, I probably botched the surgery myself. To be honest, I kinda like it better this way. There is a weight savings by not having the hdmi convertor on board any longer. The gimbal is working great, and I have no issues with the FPV cam riding along so I can see.

I'm going to use it for some shots this weekend, so I'll let you know how it goes. As far as I can tell right now, there shouldn't an issue, but if I find that there is a big difference in FOV between the FPV cam and the 16mm lens, I might take you up on the offer to cut another cable for me.

thanks!

reddinos

i understand that the mini hdmi cable will grab the video from the camera and send it where? what fpv system comes with a full sized hdmi input? extremely confused here haha

Kilby

i understand that the mini hdmi cable will grab the video from the camera and send it where? what fpv system comes with a full sized hdmi input? extremely confused here haha

You send it to a converter that outputs component video, which the video transmitter can send down to the ground. You can't go direct from HDMI to the vtx.

reddinos

i though so! amazing thanks for the replies guys! received my gimbal today! looks amazing, added the nex5n, i love how easy it is to balance it! the only thing that got my by surprise is the sound that the gimbal makes when on! very high pitch "peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" sound but i guess is ok! i though it was silent! other than that it looks amazing and cant wait to try it out in the field tomorrow! will keep you all posted!

vip

Quick question

Has anyone tried the Sony HX30V in the vx5n gimbal? Trying to find a good gimbal

Thanks

that actually is a nice little camera BUT!!! the thing you will find is that when the hdmi out cable is plugged into a convertor
for transmitting it will shut down after 3 minutes of recording. I had one and took it back for this reason.
It works great if you do not record while have the cable plugged in.. I talked to sony, that is the way it is.

reddinos

the question would be... would the Black Magic Cinema Pocket camera work on this mount! cant wait to try it out!.

GotHeliRC

http://gothelirc.com
The black magic camera body does fit.... but the screw mounting is wrong... so need to change the bottom plate in order for it to work.