My brushless gimbal result

I have a CarbonCore 650 and I'm now flying, smiling, with the GotHeli Brushless Gimbal. I mounted it to the aluminum tray that comes with the CarbonCore (short version) leg set. I had to drill holes in the plate to line up with the outermost slots in the mounting plate of the gimbal. That was easy. The carboncore leg set is worth the money in my opinion because it makes maintaining the CG of the aircraft so easy, simply by sliding the gimbal tray and/or battery tray fore and aft until the balance point is in the middle of the aircraft. The camera (NEX 6 with Sigma 19mm f2.8 EXDn lens) sits out front far enough, and low enough that visual obstruction from the legs is
a non-issue. BTW, the Sigma lens, with a 35mm equivalent of about 28mm, is very sharp and I highly recommend it. Inexpensive: $140 from Amazon.
The tuning was not difficult once I solved some updating issues (Java) on a borrowed PC laptop and was able to load the software. V was very helpful and patient in a few support phone calls. The longer I'm in this industry the more I appreciate business people who
answer the phone, return phone calls, and who are helpful. Not always the case.

I was new to brushless gimbals--who isn't!--and it took me a while to really understand the variables in getting the camera really neutrally balanced on the gimbal. Once I did, though, I was just amazed at the silent, smooth, performance.

Now I'm chasing vibration from props and motors, but the gimbal is solved!

Thank you for this, very reassuring! Glad it's feasible.

I was new to brushless gimbals--who isn't!--and it took me a while to really understand the variables in getting the camera really neutrally balanced on the gimbal. Once I did, though, I was just amazed at the silent, smooth, performance.

Any chance you could share your settings please Ptnick? I've just bought the barebones GotHeli Brushless Gimbal and am going to fit my existing Alexmos controller to it, so could do with a good starting point for the controller settings :) Thanks!

Ptnick

I no longer have the computer here that shows the settings in the controller. When I get it again in a few days I will post the information.

mark.bryant61

Allround Heli Pilot
I'm looking at the connection diagram for the Alexmos controller. Think I understand most of it, but what is the meaning of "BTN" connection. Not sure on that one. I'm no electronics wizard.
Any explanations would be appreciated!

mark.bryant61

Allround Heli Pilot
Just got a reply email from GotHeli Rc......."believes the button is to reset the board"......
Got Heli's responses to questions is outstanding!

Icke84

nobody reads the manual?

Menu button
If you have connected menu button, you can get quick access to number of functions:
• Single-press — runs accelerometer calibration (like CALIB_ACC button in GUI)
• Double-press — temporarily switching input from receiver's PITCH axis to ROLL axis. This is useful
if you connect only one receiver channel to RC_PITCH, and want to adjust ROLL axis before flight.
When finished, double-press menu button again and ROLL position will be saved to memory.
• Press and hold for 3 seconds – reset system

if i'm right then this is for what the button can be used ;)

GotHeliRC

http://gothelirc.com
Sorry, my bad for not remembering the other functions. Never used the button yet. Can't remember anything any more. :)

Don't ask me how old I am, ask me how many gimbal I need to make. haha!

Ptnick

GotHeli Gimbal on CarbonCore 650 Hexa

Since a couple of folks have inquired about this setup I"ll post a few pictures of a rig I've just finished building.
These are the shorter version of the Carbon Core leg set. The Giimbal is mounted to the base of the aluminum tray that comes with the
Carbon Core leg set. I was concerned that they might be too short but they're fine, though in tall grass the lens of the camera can contact the grass.
Tomorrow I'm going to remount the gimbal on Zen Muse type vibration isolators. I think they are more flexible and soft than the ones that GotHeli provides.
Chasing down vibration is the name of the game, as I'm learning. The camera is a Sony NEX 6 with a Sigma 19mm (28mm equivalent) f2.8 lens.
View attachment 11224View attachment 11225View attachment 11226View attachment 11227View attachment 11228View attachment 11229View attachment 11230

Attachments

• 20130419-_DSC5093-2.jpg
    20130419-_DSC5093-2.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 486
  • 20130419-_DSC5089-2.jpg
    20130419-_DSC5089-2.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 490
  • 20130419-_DSC5092-2.jpg
    20130419-_DSC5092-2.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 417
  • 20130419-_DSC5093-2.jpg
    20130419-_DSC5093-2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 417
  • 20130419-_DSC5096.jpg
    20130419-_DSC5096.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 439
  • 20130419-_DSC5098.jpg
    20130419-_DSC5098.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 371
  • 20130419-_DSC5100.jpg
    20130419-_DSC5100.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 431
  • 20130419-_DSC5101.jpg
    20130419-_DSC5101.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 385
Last edited by a moderator:

gyroster

Guys, Do you have picture of the IMU properly installed in the gimbal? I'm having a hardtime positioning it. Also how do you install the program software of Alexmos.

My GotHeli Gimbal turned up yesterday and I've got to say I'm pretty impressed with the build quality. However, as I bought the bare-bones system (without the pre-configured Alexmos controller) I'm struggling to get the settings sorted with my Flyduino Alexmos board. Roll seems pretty stable, pitch is okay to a point but when it exceeds about 20 degrees it gets some serious vibrations. Anybody have any ideas? I've been messing with it for hours.

My current settings are:

Roll 18 - 0.30 - 8 - Power 180
Pitch 18 - 0.30 - 3 - Power 100

Both 4006 motors are set at 14 poles and inverted.

Please could somebody post the settings recommended by GotHeli?

rwskier

Multi Rotor Video
These work great for me with the Sony NEX and a 18-55mm lens.

18-40-12 Power 200
18-30-8 Power 80

This is with the 1.2b firmware.

GotHeliRC

http://gothelirc.com
My GotHeli Gimbal turned up yesterday and I've got to say I'm pretty impressed with the build quality. However, as I bought the bare-bones system (without the pre-configured Alexmos controller) I'm struggling to get the settings sorted with my Flyduino Alexmos board. Roll seems pretty stable, pitch is okay to a point but when it exceeds about 20 degrees it gets some serious vibrations. Anybody have any ideas? I've been messing with it for hours.

My current settings are:

Roll 18 - 0.30 - 8 - Power 180
Pitch 18 - 0.30 - 3 - Power 100

Both 4006 motors are set at 14 poles and inverted.

Please could somebody post the settings recommended by GotHeli?

If it work ok at 0 degree, then you tilt it 20degree then it vibrate, normally mean the camera is not balanced in all direction. Don't power the gimbal, manually move the tilt to 90degree (facing down to the ground, is your camera balance now?) If the gimbal is not balanced in all direction, it simply won't work.

Ptnick

I just tried RWSKIER's setting and they were a HUGE improvement using my NEX 6 and Sigma 19mm lens on a CarbonCore 650 with the GotHeli Gimbal. I think I may be finally
dialed-in. Huge thanks for posting the numbers!
Nick

rwskier

Multi Rotor Video
@PTnick I am glad they worked for you and they sure did cure my problems but credit has to go to GotHeliRC since I got them directly from him. I struggled for a while with different setups but he has the thing dialed in for the NEX.

rwskier

Multi Rotor Video
this Gimbal is working fantastic now and I am now working on getting all settings dialed in and flying good. Here is a short video shot 4/27/2013.

Russell

Last edited by a moderator:

Tomstoy2

Not bad indeed, still seeing some horizon shift on roll though. Looks to be about all you need to work out of it.