DJI WKM Digital Compass Calibration - Spin on the spot or rotate?

homer911

What does everyone else do? Keep the center point of the multi on the same point or just rotate it and keep your feet on the same place.

The diagram in the manual isn't very clear. I does say that it doesn't have to be perfectly 90* just above 45*. I'm just not sure of the spin on the spot thingy???

Anyone?

Tahoe Ed

I spin around the Z and the X axis. But that is just me. I have seen others rotate around their body. Do which ever way works for you.

Benchmark

I have tried both but somehow i feel i got better calibration by rotating round my body as the axis than spinning it vertically around its own axis. May just superstition but i have held to that method since.

araines2750

Hexa Crazy
I asked this same question to Robert at UAV Products about a year ago as each video & manufacturer seems to show something different.
This is what he and DJi recommend:

1. Enter Compass calibration mode by rapidly switching fight control mode switch several times. Wait a few seconds, the LED will turn blue constant.
2. Rotate the aircraft horizonally (flat to ground). Slowly to make a complete 360 degree circle, Center of the circle is a straight line through the center of the compass.
3. When the circle reaches 360 degrees, the LED will turn green constant.
4. Position aircraft so nose (front) is pointing down to the ground. Slowly rotate aircraft in a 360 degree circle along it's front to back centerline.
5. When the circle reaches 360 degrees, the LED will turn white.
6. Place aircraft on ground. Wait a few seconds. Power off aircraft.

I do this in the middle of a large field where I fly, away from buildings, metal etc., I even place my TX radio about 20' away while I do this.

homer911

Great info, cheers. You woukd think tdji would tell everyone through tge manual not just who asks.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

02deuce

Time Warped
It shows it in the manual on page 32, and the picture illustration actually shows rotating your body 360 degrees.

Tahoe Ed

In the videos that Colin, CEO of DJI NA, did for the Phantom, he rotated his body. Who knows. I have always did it the other way and it worked. I am going out to fly later with a F330, F450 and a Phantom. They are all running the same software so it should show if there is any difference.

Mori55

My magnetic declination is 12o west. Does that mean just turn the compass arrow a little counter clockwise?

DLien

What I have wondered is does it matter if you rotate with the nose up? Or would it be better to rotate nose down? What is optimal? Does it matter?

Aviator

You can rotate it anyway you like, as long as you complete both axis even if you run around in a circle as long as the angle is more or less pointing up then at 90 degrees.. It is to calibrate the compass for magnetic declination so it wont change that much within a 5 mile radius, so stay within that whilst you calibrate and you should be fine... :)

By araines2750 one page back
I asked this same question to Robert at UAV Products about a year ago as each video & manufacturer seems to show something different.
This is what he and DJi recommend:

1. Enter Compass calibration mode by rapidly switching fight control mode switch several times. Wait a few seconds, the LED will turn blue constant.
2. Rotate the aircraft horizonally (flat to ground). Slowly to make a complete 360 degree circle, Center of the circle is a straight line through the center of the compass.
3. When the circle reaches 360 degrees, the LED will turn green constant.

4. Position aircraft so nose (front) is pointing down to the ground. Slowly rotate aircraft in a 360 degree circle along it's front to back centerline.

5. When the circle reaches 360 degrees, the LED will turn white.
6. Place aircraft on ground. Wait a few seconds. Power off aircraft.

I do this in the middle of a large field where I fly, away from buildings, metal etc., I even place my TX radio about 20' away while I do this.

RuralFPV

COWS!!!!
What I do depends on wether or not I have an audience. If not, I do the dance. If I do, I rotate it while holding out infront of me.

I already look like a bit of a nutter just flying the thing, no need to bump that up by dancing with it. :)