My brushless gimbal result

speedin

I want to use this gimbal with my canon rebel t4i. Is that pushing the limits of this gimbal? Or will it work, I don't want balance issues

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Took the Cinestar out in the field today for the first time with the Brushless gimbal and Nex 5n fully setup. Almost didn't due to the wind blowing up to 20 mph at times, had my hands full just keeping the CS pointed where I wanted at times. Here's a bunch of clips from the flights I did with a few of the local FPV guys at field near the house, I never would have considered trying to record video in these conditions with the Photohigher AV130, there wouldn't have been 30 seconds of usable video with the old gimbal in wind this strong. Pretty much everything I recorded is useable though to make it perfect would require a touch of post process stabilization to counter the unwanted yawing and general bouncing around of the wind pushing the camera and gimbal around on the Cinestar isolation mounts. Time to do a little tuning of those mounts to firm things up a bit and a little more work on the Wookong-M gains to get it a bit more stable in wind as well but overall I'm extremely happy with the results for the first real world test.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Kari

@Ken all that i can say is wow how your gimbal is working. No jitter or vibrations, just perfect roll and tilt. After adding 3rd axis this will be beast. Though i'm not sure how big problem yaw even is in real life if operating one man setup, normally we always do some kind of pans and moves and are much closer objects.

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
I think it might be pushing things a bit at the moment, bit too large and heavy, but I imagine as the year progresses you'll start seeing gimbals able to take your size camera?

andrewrob

Yes I think from what the guy that's making these Nex size gimbals said he's got a T2i etc size one in the pipeline so hopefully wont be too long maybe summer I think someone said, I'm can't wait after watching the footage people are uploading, stunning!

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicpocketcinemacamera/techspecs

this will take aerial filming to another level for us mere mortals who can't afford to fly Red Epic's ....

Hmmm.... dimensionally only slightly larger than a Nex 5n and still within the frame size of the current Nex 5n brushless gimbal. Might require some tweaks to the gimbal to get it to fit well and balance correctly but nothing that can't be solved with a bit of G10 and a milling machine. Shipping in July, time to start building up a new camera fund I think ;)

Ken

r0beert0

ok here is a rough cut of my first aerial vid gig... no post stabilization.

DennyR

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicpocketcinemacamera/techspecs

this will take aerial filming to another level for us mere mortals who can't afford to fly Red Epic's ....

At last the penny is starting to drop. The shallow depth of field preferred by cinematographers with their feet stuck to the ground, has no place in aerial filming. Smaller sensors are coming with smaller and better lenses. (much smaller) If you believe the Jim Janice hype about the unequaled quality of a 35mm sensor then you have never seen a still image interpolated to 800% without any loss of quality.
It is a fact that the smaller the sensor then the easier it is to make a near perfect lens.

What is the point of hauling a Red (or a DSLR) in the air and then being constrained by weight and size to the limitation of a ****ty lens.

Stacky

Why exactly does a shallow depth of field have no place in aerial photography?

At last the penny is starting to drop. The shallow depth of field preferred by cinematographers with their feet stuck to the ground, has no place in aerial filming. Smaller sensors are coming with smaller and better lenses. (much smaller) If you believe the Jim Janice hype about the unequaled quality of a 35mm sensor then you have never seen a still image interpolated to 800% without any loss of quality.
It is a fact that the smaller the sensor then the easier it is to make a near perfect lens.

What is the point of hauling a Red (or a DSLR) in the air and then being constrained by weight and size to the limitation of a ****ty lens.

DennyR

ok here is a rough cut of my first aerial vid gig... no post stabilization.

Nice work, but I think the barrel lens distortion would be a no no for many high end clients. At least in my experience that has always been the case. They expect the video to look like the CGI. i.e. verticals to be vertical and not bent at the sides.

You can fix that in post. Get you head around MOCHA

nicwilke

Finally someone with the balls to say it. Thanks DenniR, as we progress, cameras will continue to shrink, making our crafts lighter, safer, longer flying.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

DennyR

Stacky
What would be the point of a differential focus pull, typically, to draw the eye to another point of interest when all that is between the subject and some point in between is generally fresh air.
As you cant pull the focus anyway it is irrelevant is it not? Why would you want some part of the image unsharp anyway. At the typical ultra wide angles it is not going to be effective even if you wanted to do it.

DennyR

Finally someone with the balls to say it. Thanks DenniR, as we progress, cameras will continue to shrink, making our crafts lighter, safer, longer flying.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Things in Cyprus are difficult at the moment especially the postal service and money transfers. I hope to be able to show you guys something that is a real game changer in a few days/weeks.

Stacky

Thanks for that, great explanation, appreciate it.

Stacky
What would be the point of a differential focus pull, typically, to draw the eye to another point of interest when all that is between the subject and some point in between is generally fresh air.
As you cant pull the focus anyway it is irrelevant is it not? Why would you want some part of the image unsharp anyway. At the typical ultra wide angles it is not going to be effective even if you wanted to do it.

r0beert0

Nice work, but I think the barrel lens distortion would be a no no for many high end clients. At least in my experience that has always been the case. They expect the video to look like the CGI. i.e. verticals to be vertical and not bent at the sides.

You can fix that in post. Get you head around MOCHA

Hey thanks for the tip, I'm still new to all this video for production stuff! ha... this was done on iMovie :) GP 2 and 3 is all I had available for this shoot (gotta start somewhere) still images where taken by a photographer sometime last year.

rocjock

can any of the camera gurus comment on V's video upthread? my nex 18-55 does the same. does anyone foresee that being in issue?

I see how it's... you're making fun of my little desert water fall... :D

Anyway, here's the lens slop, this can't be normal right?