My brushless gimbal result

GotHeliRC

http://gothelirc.com
Humm, I think your option is to Set the I on the pitch to 0, this way where ever you fixed the gimbal to with your hand, it will stay (this might not work on v2.4). Or added a Joystick on board.

As for the Yaw creeping, is the Gimbal making small vibration? Maybe motor power is too high causing the IMU to vibrate. If you're talking about the Yaw not lining straight with your copter, you need to set the Yaw Offset.

Cameraj

Humm, I think your option is to Set the I on the pitch to 0, this way where ever you fixed the gimbal to with your hand, it will stay (this might not work on v2.4). Or added a Joystick on board.

As for the Yaw creeping, is the Gimbal making small vibration? Maybe motor power is too high causing the IMU to vibrate. If you're talking about the Yaw not lining straight with your copter, you need to set the Yaw Offset.

My gimbal on startup is not center, how do you adjust the offset? To make the camera point straight ahead,

Mikeq

No, the gimbal isn't making vibrations. It's rock solid in pitch and roll but creeps in yaw. It will start out straight but over a 3-4 minute period will turn about 45 degrees.

Mikeq

No, the gimbal isn't making vibrations. It's rock solid in pitch and roll but creeps in yaw. It will start out straight but over a 3-4 minute period will turn about 45 degrees.

Here's some video of the problems I'm having.

This was shot over a 5 minute period and sped up to illustrate the drift in yaw that I'm seeing.

This is at about 11 minutes. You can see the gimbal has drifted to a point where its doesn't seem to be able to go any further and just keeps jerking.

And finally, this is another issue I'm having where the gimbal tracks in yaw but then suddenly seems to lose tracking and then recovers:

Last edited by a moderator:

yeehaanow

Drift is pretty normal with the type of gyros these IMU's are using. It's the only axis that can't use accelerometers to compensate for drift. If you have an operator I really don't see the problem??

GotHeliRC

Ohhhh Mr. Mikeq

I am not sure why you didn't read the guide/tips info we sent a long with the gimbal. It clearly stated DO NOT USE THE DEFAULT function, it will erase all of the setting we put on there (like you mention in the PM). Once the setting is erase and if you don't know what you're doing, it isn't going to work again. Secondly, for further help, please send us email directly, sending PM here we can not reply right away.

- The instructions also said the gimbal will only work WITH THE camera on it... It also said the gimbal was tuned for a Nex5 with 18-55mm lens. Does that lipo weight 1.1 lb? If not, there's 1 issue. Without the proper weight/power of the motor it will make small vibration that you can't sense it and could increase the drift problem.

- Upgrading it to latest version without understanding what the newer version does and how to tune it again is a disaster. You mention after upgrading to 2.4 the gimbal shake and jerk... well here's the problem.
Quote from the upgrade log
"Up to 5x more precision with the new PID (increase I-term until oscillation starts and than reduce a little back to get the maximum from it)" So you need to start with the lowest number possible... .01

- About the gimbal break away in yaw showing in your video, I am not quite sure what the issue is. But I think it probably the Follow Mode, we set the gimbal with Follow Yaw mode enable. It only stabilized a few degree then once pass that it will follow. In your video, you move yaw back and forth quickly and way pass the small yaw movement it's correcting, then it start doing the follow... but then you turn it the other direction so quick, that might be the problem.

Mikeq

Ohhhh Mr. Mikeq

I am not sure why you didn't read the guide/tips info we sent a long with the gimbal. It clearly stated DO NOT USE THE DEFAULT function, it will erase all of the setting we put on there (like you mention in the PM). Once the setting is erase and if you don't know what you're doing, it isn't going to work again. Secondly, for further help, please send us email directly, sending PM here we can not reply right away.

No problem on contacting directly. Some of the other RC vendors seem to their tech support through the forums so I posted here.

I must have missed the "Do Not Use Default". Regardless, I had the drift issue before resetting to defaults. That's what led me to tuning the settings and ultimately resetting them.

- The instructions also said the gimbal will only work WITH THE camera on it... It also said the gimbal was tuned for a Nex5 with 18-55mm lens. Does that lipo weight 1.1 lb? If not, there's 1 issue. Without the proper weight/power of the motor it will make small vibration that you can't sense it and could increase the drift problem.

If it's only meant to carry a Nex5 with 18-55mm, then why do you have 2 videos link next to the product showing that it works with a GoPro?

From the website:

Videos: All video is RAW, no software stabilization was use.
Carrying a GoPro3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2cGRJHWwxQ
2nd view: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1nNAkdkxwA

The battery is the same weight as a GoPro and the problem with the drift I originally experienced was with the GoPro. I have a Nex 7 with 18-55mm on order but have been using the GoPro until it arrives.

- Upgrading it to latest version without understanding what the newer version does and how to tune it again is a disaster. You mention after upgrading to 2.4 the gimbal shake and jerk... well here's the problem.
Quote from the upgrade log
"Up to 5x more precision with the new PID (increase I-term until oscillation starts and than reduce a little back to get the maximum from it)" So you need to start with the lowest number possible... .01

I did see this and started with .01. Perhaps with 2.4 it's too sensitive now to carry a GoPro? When I reduce the value low enough that it doesn't wobble, then it no longer acts like a gimbal. It will behave similarly to the breakaway behavior I posted. It stabilizes a bit but then fails and slowly regains stability.

- About the gimbal break away in yaw showing in your video, I am not quite sure what the issue is. But I think it probably the Follow Mode, we set the gimbal with Follow Yaw mode enable. It only stabilized a few degree then once pass that it will follow. In your video, you move yaw back and forth quickly and way pass the small yaw movement it's correcting, then it start doing the follow... but then you turn it the other direction so quick, that might be the problem.

Follow mode was disabled.

I think the best approach at this point is to make sure I'm actually back to the shipped default settings. Are there any settings you program into the controller that cannot be accessed through the GUI or can we get back to the settings you shipped the gimbal with?

Mikeq

On the GUI, the Roll, Pitch and Yaw dials have two sets of numbers on each dial. One set is in white and the other blue. What do these values represent?

I'm assuming one is gyro and the other accel but which is which?

GotHeliRC

It can work with any camera/lens, as long as it can fit into the gimbal and can be balanced correctly and tuned right.

Boltzman

It is a modified TBS Discovery with VX5 gimbal and Klonerarms. Backpack size of the multirotor. You need it that portable for these environments.
NEX-5 camera.

Yes, FPV with 5" monitor but honestly you don't see a lot in this bright sunlight, just need to get the right path and take the risk:)

kloner

Aerial DP
that's the only problem with a nex series cameras, the lenses need constant vigilence and the sensors are easy to scratch chasing that stuff.....

boltz is the man of the hour, great quality for such a small tight package

GotHeliRC

Make me want to drop everything and go to places like that and fly and film.... ain't going to happen though... haha!

Boltzman

Thanks again! Yes the dust spot is something you kind of miss on the analogue fpv monitor, got dam what I look forward to the new HD FPV links coming in masses now to a reasonable cost. Will plug it in to the Oculus Rift, however there will be some training to deal with the additional latency...
Also financed the Indiego 4G FPV Skydrone project but that is kind of impossible in these environments. Next stop is Macchu Pichu in Peru (April).

Maverick

Some new shots with the GotheliRC VX5 gimbal:
http://vimeo.com/87368710

WOW!!!... Very impressive Boltzman!...

What camera settings were you using there...? iAuto...? Manual/Auto Focus...? Care to share...?

BTW, the Nex series are notorious for their sensors catching/trapping dust! After I got mine professionally cleaned, I sellotaped up where the lens joins the body... Works a treat!

Keep up the good work!

Mav.

Boltzman

Shutter priority at 1/125, 1080 60p. Autofocus. 10-18mm sony lens. polarizer. GothelRC VX5 gimbal. Kloner arms (Aerial Mob) http://www.aerialmob.com/store/.
Dust is a problem and you don't have so much time for details in these extreme hot locations...
The unique thing with this setup is that it is backpack portable. More pics and details earlier in this thread. Works awesome.