Monto RC Hobby **Avroto** Motors Contest Giveaway!! Beyond the hover!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Announcing the start of MultiRotorForums.com's next Greatest-Contest-Ever!!
Sponsored by;

View attachment 524

Winner to receive SIX (6)

uPgnTlz9nT2F8bHUHRLzovgAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
View attachment 525

M2814-11S short shaft 770kv brushless motors!!!
FREE!!!

To win though, you'll have to fly like you've never flown before...............beyond the hover!

The contest is simple, fly as many laps as possible between a table and a point on the ground fifteen feet away. The winner will be chosen randomly from the top five entries as voted on by the multirotorforums.com membership!

The rules are simple but in applying the rules you are encouraged to be as original as possible. So long as you meet the spirit of the rules you will be eligible to win. You are encouraged to be creative both in flying style and in what you fly and the membership will vote for the videos based on overall appeal of your submission. Video quality will not be judged though so don't burn up a lot of time editing and polishing your recording.

RULES:

• The table has to be at least 30 inches above the ground. It has to have a continuous flat surface (no holes to reduce ground effect), a defined edge all the way around, and cannot be modified to facilitate landings or take-offs.

• The point on the ground has to be at least 15 feet away from the edge of the table.

• The time will start when the multi-rotor lifts off from the table for the first lap and will expire two minutes later. The goal is to fly as many laps as possible while landing each lap on the table and the ground.

• Entries must be submitted to this thread via recorded video between Friday, July 15, 2011 and Friday, August 19, 2011

• There must be an obvious attempt to fly laps between the table and the spot on the ground.
When posting your video to the internet please put MultiRotorForums.com in the video title so it can be located with a search.

While it won't help your chances of winning, you will earn the respect of millions of multi-rotor pilots across the world by posting crash footage which brings us to our blanket disclaimer;

Neither Monto RC Hobby or MultiRotorForums.com or anyone associated with them will be responsible for property or people damaged or injured in the course of entering or trying to enter this contest. Entries shall be prepared at your own risk.

The prize motors will be supplied with all guarantees and warranties normally afforded to retail customers and will be shipped to the winner by Monto RC Hobby. Should there be any issues with the delivered motors, return shipping will be paid for by the prize recipient.

Please visit Monto RC Hobby at www.MontoRC.com to see their full lineup of RC Electric Motors, ESC's, Batteries, Planes, and Accessories and a big THANK YOU to Jim from MontoRC for his support and friendly assistance in arranging this contest!!

Attachments

• montorc logo.gif
    montorc logo.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 285
  • Avroto logo.gif
    Avroto logo.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 270

Bartman

Landing on the table is required. Landing shall be loosely defined as touching the table surface with your skids/gear/wheels/zip-tied-foamie-extrusions/etc. :) Same goes for the ground landings. Good question.

Bartman

I had planned to do that once I had my X650 converted to CopterControl but I crashed it pretty bad on Tuesday.

View attachment 526

I'll get something posted in the next few days.

Moderators and Vendor Area participants are welcome to post contest entries but will, SADLY, not be eligible to win. It will be interesting to see if any "Factory" entries are submitted.

Attachments

• P1060137.jpg
    P1060137.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 305

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Ah Bart com'on' if I can admit to hitting a Gormley Statue surely you can tell us what happened!

Bartman

In the intial post I asked that videos have the site name in their titles to aid search engines. Please also do this in the tag line just below the description box (that's where it is with Youtube, it may be somewhere else with different video hosting sites).
Thanks!

Bartman

Ah Bart com'on' if I can admit to hitting a Gormley Statue surely you can tell us what happened!

it didn't end well but my wife stopped the camera when it disappeared over the house so there's no carnage to see. i hope the contest videos end better than this did.

For what it's worth, i'm having compatibility issues and will have to check the camera settings again to see why my video quality is so poor.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Here's a link to the contest prize motors.

http://montorc.com/M2814Shaft.aspx

I was in the process of buying eight Avroto motors for my new Droidworx AD-8HL frame when the conversation turned to MontoRC sponsoring our next contest/giveaway. I suggested Jim provide four as a prize and he generously upped it to six. They're a well made motor with power similar to the Axi 2814-22 or MK 3638.

If I wasn't willing to fly them on my heli's I wouldn't offer them to you as a prize. :)

Good luck!

DennyR

Bart I see just one problem. if someone speeds up the video which is very easily done with most edit software these days. Or even undercranks the camera. Then that would not make a level playing field. I would suggest a clock on the table. As a first safeguard. and timeline data to be included. No edit cuts permitted.

Bartman

thanks for pointing that out DennyR, in my haste to get the announcement up I left out that detail;

Videos have to be continuous with no edits made within the two minute flight. Frame-in-a-frame can be used to show what's going on but the two minute flight must be shown without edits.

The other issue of speeding up or slowing down the video was considered and the potential for cheating was part of the reason I went with the suggestion that at the end of the contest the winner will be chosen randomly from the best submissions. The clock idea is a good one but don't most video cameras allow you the option to show a clock in the shot? Maybe?

I'll check my wife's camera to see if it'll do it. If her old Panasonic camera can do it I'd expect most others can also.

Thanks for the input DennyR!

FlyEYE

Someone could just edit in the clock afterwards. My guess is that with editing you might get an extra lap but more just wouldn't look right.

Just tried some practice runs, this isn't going to be easy and will be hard on the landing gear.

Bartman

for the gear, maybe some pool noodles would soften things a bit? black foamie pipe insulation is also pretty soft.

as for the timing, let's just see what happens and go from there. if things look too doctored then the effort will be for nothing as it won't get votes. by having a vote at the end we should be able to weed out the bad and reward the good.

thanks for your input.

bart

juz

FPV pilot
Kool Kool. I wouldn't worry about how many laps people achieve, its all about trying something new and challenging. I'll be voting for flights that look fun and original. Great contest idea. Can't wait to see the out takes =]

matwelli

personally i wont be sticking a clock in shot, honesty goes a long way :)

found a picnic table at work, so ready to get some runs in this week at lunch time,

no landing gear on the Vtal Quad :)

Bartman

Maybe this will help to get the ball rolling.....if you post a video and then get a better video you can update your entry......whichever post you want to have as your entry is up to you

So let's see some videos!!

I'll have a demo as soon as I get a replacement arm for my X650 from XAircraftUSA

Bart

Crash

Defies Psychics
So let me get this straight, you have to land on the ground for each lap? You can't land in a bush or a tree that's 15 feet away or more?:rolleyes:

I'm not sure if I have a table that tall. Can my wife's car roof be substituted? :p

Are prop changes included in the 2 minute limit? If so, I may need a better pit crew.

Bartman

crash, i suppose your wife's car can be substituted. as for the bush, if you can extricate yourself from the bush with motor power only then go for it