Mikrokopter MKTools - No connection?

MikroJ

I have seem to come across my first "worrying" problem.......When I connect the MKUSB between the Mikrokopter and PC I get a "No Connection" showing in MKtools?

The RX and TX lights are flashing on the MKUSB.....

Things I have tried....
1. Only open up MKtools and plug in MKUSB = Mktools opens and reads "no Connection"and TX light on MKUSB flashes.
2. same as step 1 but then plugged into Mikrokopter same "no connection" in MKtools, but the TX and RX lights are flashing on the MKUSB.
3. Have disconnected the NAVI from Flight control board and connected the MKUSB direct and get same results as step 2.?

All this is done using no jumper and the lipo connected to Mikrokopter.....
any other steps I can try?

The only odd thing I have done this time round is connect a camera mount and plug in the roll servo, which worked, but just needed some adjustments in MKtools..

Im hoping at worst its the MKUSB faulty!!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Have you disconnected the camera mount and gone back to how you had it before you plugged it in?

DAve

I have seem to come across my first "worrying" problem.......When I connect the MKUSB between the Mikrokopter and PC I get a "No Connection" showing in MKtools?

The RX and TX lights are flashing on the MKUSB.....

Things I have tried....
1. Only open up MKtools and plug in MKUSB = Mktools opens and reads "no Connection"and TX light on MKUSB flashes.
2. same as step 1 but then plugged into Mikrokopter same "no connection" in MKtools, but the TX and RX lights are flashing on the MKUSB.
3. Have disconnected the NAVI from Flight control board and connected the MKUSB direct and get same results as step 2.?

All this is done using no jumper and the lipo connected to Mikrokopter.....
any other steps I can try?

The only odd thing I have done this time round is connect a camera mount and plug in the roll servo, which worked, but just needed some adjustments in MKtools..

Im hoping at worst its the MKUSB faulty!!

Have you verified that Windoze hasn't changed the serial (com) port on you? Plugging the MKUSB into a different USB port might change the assignment of the serial port.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
mikroj
i plug the mkUSB ribbon cable into the copter and plug the USB cord into the computer so the connections are all made before applying power. The mkUSB jumper is placed so that USB power isn't getting to the copter. Then I attach a battery to the copter and have the radio on alongside of it. Once all of that is done and stable I click and open MKtool. I've had a compatibility message for a while now but it hasn't kept me from doing what I need to do.
Also double check that the ribbon cable is being plugged in properly. The red band should be to the right when plugging it into the copter.
Hope that helps.

Buzzed

As Rick has already said Windows can unexpectedly change the com port which will put you out of business. Open MKTool and check the comm address in the terminal window.

Bartman

buzzed,
windows won't recognize the port or be able to configure the hardware for it if the MKusb isn't plugged in and powered up. that's been my experience at least. the xaircraft usb tool is the same way.
bart

MikroJ

Thank guys but no luck yet, this is the screen shot with it plugged into Mikrokopter. Before it flashes to "no Connection" it reads for a second "not connected" ?

View attachment 416

I have noticed a cracked connector but it is only the top half, could this be enough for it not to be working ?

View attachment 417

All this is done with out my camera mount connected at all. Have tried both my PC and Laptop. same results.......

Attachments

• MKtools - no connection.jpg
    MKtools - no connection.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 176
  • P1030590.jpg
    P1030590.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 234

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Could be the connector. i know if the connector in your picture on my USB connection is not FULLY home i get a no connection message.

Bartman

are you absolutely positively sure that the ribbon cable isn't plugged in upside down on one side or the other? try putting the jumper in place so the mkusb gets power but don't plug it into the copter. plug it into the pc then click on mktool. let's see if the mkusb is working and if mktool will open and stay open without the copter being plugged in. i'll try it here too.
bart

Bartman

with the mkusb plugged into the computer with just the jumper powering it, i can open mktool and it stays open with "No Connection" showing in the center black window.
the copter is still downstairs sleeping.
if you can get this far then it's either the orientation of the cable or the cable itself that isn't working.
good luck,
bart

Crash

Defies Psychics
The USB powers the MKUSB even without the jumper.

When the MKUSB is NOT plugged into the FC and WITH MKTools running on the debug screen, you should see a constant flickering on the TX LED. If no flickering change to the correct com port.

The crack on the connector above is on the strain relief. It is however directly over pins 1 and 2 which are necessary for communication. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the cable that we can't see.

I would try using the short Navi to FC cable and connect to the FC directly. (After you get the flickering I mentioned above.)

MikroJ

The USB powers the MKUSB even without the jumper.

When the MKUSB is NOT plugged into the FC and WITH MKTools running on the debug screen, you should see a constant flickering on the TX LED. If no flickering change to the correct com port.
all working as you mentioned TX led flickering.

I would try using the short Navi to FC cable and connect to the FC directly. (After you get the flickering I mentioned above.)
I gave that a go and still no connection so assuming the cable is ok....

I also tried to power the FC with the jumper,( no lipo of course) and nothing ???

I should at least get some LED's on the FC flashing or light up with only the power from MKUSB?

MikroJ

are you absolutely positively sure that the ribbon cable isn't plugged in upside down on one side or the other? try putting the jumper in place so the mkusb gets power but don't plug it into the copter. plug it into the pc then click on mktool. let's see if the mkusb is working and if mktool will open and stay open without the copter being plugged in. i'll try it here too.
bart
OOOOOOOOOkay sorry peoples!! very embarrassing moment here, all it was in the end was the cable (which I don't normally disconnect from the MKUSB) was upside down!!!! I was looking at the wrong "#1" on the board, cannot believe it was that, thanks for all of your thoughts. All working ok now , but could this have caused any problems to FC or Navi?

Lesson learnt = step 1-Look, step 2-check,step 3-double check, step 4-repeat steps 1 to 3!!

Next move is to tune camera mount....can anyone point me to the right thread/forum for tips/info regarding Mktools settings?

Thanks again

Bartman

MikroJ
You've earned my eternal respect for coming back and admitting it!
Glad it's up and working again.
Bart

Crash

Defies Psychics
MikroJ
You've earned my eternal respect for coming back and admitting it!
Glad it's up and working again.
Bart

Yes and thanks for letting us know what the problem was. I was starting to pull hair. :p

It's funny how the easy stuff tends to slip by. That's why we should ask for photos.

You guys would be amazed at some of the bonehead things I have done on my CC frame. I put props on the wrong way on two different occasions. :eek: All because I was complacent and hurrying.

MikroJ

Thanks guys I just hope that others read this, who might be new to it, can learn from my mistake, and be more aware , I defiantly have learnt for now :eek:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Glad you found it... how frustrating.. As for the camera mount set up I would start a new thread. I will help as much as I can because there is a couple of things you need to make sure you have set for the Y6 other wise your mount will do all sorts of crazy things. I think I have it on my youtube channel..

DAve

Lazo

Hi,

I have a connection problem. I saw the warning too late, and I tried to update via Software XBee! Of course it failed update. I got MK-USB interface, but can not connect to.
I´m using kopter tool v1_78a
I´ve tried loading Flight Ctrl 88a.hex again and again, but with no success.
A couple of notes
- I´m using the correct port and I´ve changed it in Firmware and Updates(Control Panel – Port Administrator)
- The LED on the USB tool (TX) is lit and blinking
- I´ve tried 2 different computers
- I´ve tried multiple ways of connecting (turning on MK Tool, connect, power up/ power-up, connect turn on MK tool, etc)
- I´ve re-soldered the 10 point connections on the USB tool as well as on the Flight Ctrl.
- I´ve made sure that Pin 1 is lined up with the red cable on the ribbon on both sides; and I´ve tried changing them around.
I´m having no problems flying the hexa with the radio only. I have not yet connected the GPS or Nav Ctrl.
Any ideas? New USB tool? Something funky with FC?
As well, I´m working on Windows 7. Used the System Administrator in Control Panel, and right clicked on the corresponding port (in my case 7).
Connected the kopter, turned on MK tool, booted up power, didn´t work. Tried re-loading the hex file, still didn´t work.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikroJ

Is that the latest version of mk tools..? Maybe try an earlier version? Not sure if they are backward compatible......cause it sounds like you havent completed the update yet?

Bartman

i had 1_78 working and then one day it stopped working.....I couldn't connect to the FC regardless of what I tried. I downloaded the install file again, re-installed it onto my computer and things miraculously began working again. I've also had to reinstall the .88 firmware so I'm not quite sure what is at the heart of these kinds of problems.