LEDs.. WOW these babys are BRIGHT!

CMonteiro

Hi Dave?
Can you tell me the name of the leds you used for the white and red? I would like to order something similar from aeromodel lighting
thanks
CMonteiro

plingboot

Bloody hell, it took me a couple of goes to read that website :nevreness: but looks like a great 'local' resource - pdf requested.

Almost tempted to offer to recode that page so it's a bit more user friendly.

Emowillcox

THese are nice looking LEDs.. any suggestions if we are in the U.S. would this still be the best place to order led lights?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Been away fro a few days.. Ross atlightingforaeromodelers is a retired CAA guy who just does this as a hobby.. I do warn everyone they would need sunglasses for his site!

They are good lights though..

@CMonteiro

the ones in my second video are the superbrights and they ARE SUPERBRIGHT even in direct sunlight.. They are almost to bright at dusk when its close by but when its up and away from you its a shinning beacon! The different colour give you real good orientation. I have an even brighter one I ain mounted yet. Its the helicopter search light and its blinding.!

I have now rigged mine up on TX switches via the extension PCB so I can turn them on and off and have them flash at me when the battery is at my alarm trigger point..

Will try do a video this weekend if the wind drops

@Emo.. he ships world wide so no problem

Dave

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
I have now rigged mine up on TX switches via the extension PCB so I can turn them on and off and have them flash at me when the battery is at my alarm trigger point..

Nice one Dave! I am going to rely on the voltage readout/alarm doohicky for low voltage warning. I have one the same as yours...hopefully that buzzer can be heard at 50M!

CMonteiro

... I have now rigged mine up on TX switches via the extension PCB so I can turn them on and off and have them flash at me when the battery is at my alarm trigger point..

Sorry for my ignorance... what is the extension pcb? That means you feed your lights through the receiver? or you have a rc switch connected to your receiver, and that closes lights circuit with a battery?

Ododobe

Has anyone tried painting the frame with fluro/dayglo paint and using UV LED for night flying?
I know at nightclubs when they turn on the UV/Blacklight it shows up that sort of thing as if it was lit up.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Has anyone tried painting the frame with fluro/dayglo paint and using UV LED for night flying?
I know at nightclubs when they turn on the UV/Blacklight it shows up that sort of thing as if it was lit up.

Good idea if you are allowed to night fly in NZ.. Here in UK its illegal.. you can only fly here upto 30 mins after sunset!

These lights are so bright that they are brilliant for keeping the orientation in daylight and even bright sunlight of your MR especially Octos where keeping it orientated can be a big problem..

Dave

Good idea if you are allowed to night fly in NZ.. Here in UK its illegal.. you can only fly here upto 30 mins after sunset!

Didn't know that, oops!

Just fitted some bike lights that were hanging around to help with orientation, once I'm decided and done with the build I'll order and fit some 'proper' LEDs. I might ask for a font change first though.

Untitled by demowayne, on Flickr

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
You going Formby cycles friday 21st then or Leisurely eventually maybe one day lakes then? :dread:

I'm going to Quinns to do some 2012 product training, Thursday I'll be in north Wales. I usually try to get some riding in while training too. Shame there are bike shops in nice riding areas eh? ;-)

CMonteiro

I think it would only work if the led was focusing the painted area.
bat that reminds me of a nice thing to try.
To paint the lower face of the props with that ink (balance the props afterwords) and then install the leds on the skids, pointing up to the props circle.

Ododobe

A quick google later tells me that

101.211 Night operations
With the exception of control line model aircraft, a person shall not operate a model aircraft at night unless the operation is—
(1) indoors; or
(2) a shielded operation.

Bugger.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
101.211 Night operations
With the exception of control line model aircraft, a person shall not operate a model aircraft at night unless the operation is—
(1) indoors; or
(2) a shielded operation.

Bugger.
Indeed! We must all be seen to be flying our MR's with in the constraints of local flying regs.. no matter how frustrating it is..

Dave

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Ye Gods.

I just received the Lighting pdf catalogue. I had eyeball-ache before the end of the first page. What a ghastly typeface. It's practically illegible!
Quite a sense of humour he must have, stressing that it should be read in its entirety before ordering.
Strikes me that attempting to read the whole lot will GUARANTEE you mess up the order.