KDE Direct has added Multi-Rotor Heli motors to their lineup

GotHeliRC

http://gothelirc.com
For the 3520.
From their specs, on 15x5 props, they are showing 100% throttle at 18.1 amps draw.
.... 16x5.4 props, they are showing 100% throttle at 22.2 amps draw.
.... 18x6.1 props, they are showing 100% throttle at 30.2 amps draw.

16" would be the maximum prop size I'd use for a quad, so I'm looking at the 22.2 amps wondering if I could SAFELY & RELIABLY use some 40amp ESC's I have laying? around.

I'm 1 year into the sport and know nothing about KDE. Are you guys thinking theese may be up to par with the Tiger u5 or u7 or the Avroto 3515 or 3520?

40amps is more than enough. 22amps is max throttle, I am sure you're not going to full throttle for more than 10secs at a time. Average you'll probably only going to pull 8-15amps.

As for KDE, they have been making high performance Helicopter motors for a long time.

We will have 4014, 4012, 3520 in stock next week. I decided to carry them after seeing the Dynamic balancing...

GotHeliRC

http://gothelirc.com

Attachments

• KDEmotors.jpg
    KDEmotors.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 429

Amerly

They are here!!! Bench test are incredible, running motor at full speed holding it in my hand and barely can feel that it's running... freaky awesome.

Here's the three together for size comparison.

In stock: http://gothelirc.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=264&cat=KDE+Direct+High+Performance

I've just been told by Aerial Pixels guys that they tested theses new motors and that they did not get the advertised trust... Anyone can confirm ? I was going to let go the T-Motors MN4120 order for the KDE4014XF-380...

I was getting all excited about theses new motors ! Tech video got me all horny :) I hope their power efficiency chart is accurate !

mangoats

It would be interesting to see how they tested them and their testing jig. I'd like to see Aerial Pixels numbers before passing judgment.

KDE Direct

KDE Direct, LLC.
I've just been told by Aerial Pixels guys that they tested theses new motors and that they did not get the advertised trust... Anyone can confirm ? I was going to let go the T-Motors MN4120 order for the KDE4014XF-380...

I was getting all excited about theses new motors ! Tech video got me all horny :) I hope their power efficiency chart is accurate !

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to quick introduce myself, I'm the Owner of KDE Direct, and I'm new to this forum. I've been in discussion with the forum Owners/Moderators, and will soon look to support the site, lot of great things happening here. In terms of data and dyno-testing, there are a number of factors that can drastically affect the performance output of a motor - including ESC control algorithm, environment (air humidity, temperature, altitude, etc.), motor timing, power-supply voltage accuracy, PWM rate, etc. that can tell different stories, depending on the setup and testing equipment - especially when measuring thrust generation. There is no industry standard for data collection, so it's up to the honesty of each manufacturer to provide the data and also, do their best to verify the results in real-world test flying applications and base this on commonly used electronics in the industry. It's not easy, and already most of the data on the market is exaggerated or misinformed, so providing good data is a major task that we took on to provide to our customers. If you have any questions, we are based here in the U.S. (Washington State), so we are more than willing to explain the technology of the motors and help you with any questions or data you'd like to see - always please feel free to e-mail us at sales@kdedirect.com or support@kdedirect.com, and we'll do our best to get back to you as soon as possible.

Hope you all enjoy the new motors and looking forward to reading/hearing more of the reviews; thus far, it's been very positive and we're excited to bring his level of quality and technology to the Multi-Rotor industry.

Thanks,
Patrick Koegler

Amerly

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to quick introduce myself, I'm the Owner of KDE Direct, and I'm new to this forum. I've been in discussion with the forum Owners/Moderators, and will soon look to support the site, lot of great things happening here. In terms of data and dyno-testing, there are a number of factors that can drastically affect the performance output of a motor - including ESC control algorithm, environment (air humidity, temperature, altitude, etc.), motor timing, power-supply voltage accuracy, PWM rate, etc. that can tell different stories, depending on the setup and testing equipment - especially when measuring thrust generation. There is no industry standard for data collection, so it's up to the honesty of each manufacturer to provide the data and also, do their best to verify the results in real-world test flying applications and base this on commonly used electronics in the industry. It's not easy, and already most of the data on the market is exaggerated or misinformed, so providing good data is a major task that we took on to provide to our customers. If you have any questions, we are based here in the U.S. (Washington State), so we are more than willing to explain the technology of the motors and help you with any questions or data you'd like to see - always please feel free to e-mail us at sales@kdedirect.com or support@kdedirect.com, and we'll do our best to get back to you as soon as possible.

Hope you all enjoy the new motors and looking forward to reading/hearing more of the reviews; thus far, it's been very positive and we're excited to bring his level of quality and technology to the Multi-Rotor industry.

Thanks,
Patrick Koegler

Hey Patrick !

So nice to have your input on this forum ! Theses motors seems very efficient and well built ! What specific ESC's and settings would you use for both 12N14P and 18N24P config to get close to the advertised specs ? I'm guessing you did try many and found a nice reliable and efficient solution :)

Cheers !

ps: Are all 3 motors dynamically balanced with epoxy ?

KDE Direct

KDE Direct, LLC.
Hey Patrick !

So nice to have your input on this forum ! Theses motors seems very efficient and well built ! What specific ESC's and settings would you use for both 12N14P and 18N24P config to get close to the advertised specs ? I'm guessing you did try many and found a nice reliable and efficient solution :)

Cheers !

ps: Are all 3 motors dynamically balanced with epoxy ?

The ESCs we've currently been running have been prototype KDE Direct XF controllers on our octocopters, and they've been working excellent in combination with the motors. The motor-timing is auto-controlled, and similar to some other high-end controllers, will dynamically adjust based on the torque-loads placed on the motor, ranging from 5 Degrees when high-efficiency is desired in a typical hover, up to 30 Degrees when high-thrust loads are demanded. I'll have more information on the controllers in the near future.

Yes, all KDE Direct XF motors are computer-dynamically balanced with weighted epoxy.

sk8brd

hey kloner any progress on direct comparison like hover amp draw vs u5. i know specs are better on paper but i like real life results..thanks

kloner

Aerial DP
actually yes but it's not much of a test, the u5 rig got totalled the first flight... but i got numbers

u5

kde

Last edited by a moderator:

sk8brd

thanks-sorry to hear about the rig. it's hard for me to figure out which one was more efficient, they both look pretty good hover around 12-13 amps?

kloner

Aerial DP
they both hover the same but the tiger were easier to get higher amp draws underway = less efficient

i'm gonna order a set or the 360 4014 kde to put side by side with this 3520 set... hopefully it holds up better

sk8brd

cool thanks- that was my next question, 3520 vs 4014. it seams the 4014 can lift more at lower amps then the 3520 and is a little bit lighter on paper but looking forward to your test.

Zubeyir

The ESCs we've currently been running have been prototype KDE Direct XF controllers on our octocopters, and they've been working excellent in combination with the motors. The motor-timing is auto-controlled, and similar to some other high-end controllers, will dynamically adjust based on the torque-loads placed on the motor, ranging from 5 Degrees when high-efficiency is desired in a typical hover, up to 30 Degrees when high-thrust loads are demanded. I'll have more information on the controllers in the near future.

Yes, all KDE Direct XF motors are computer-dynamically balanced with weighted epoxy.

Hi Patrick,

I was talking with Lawrence at ATI, I'm excited about what you can bring to the table from the heli world. Seeing your last post, I'd like to know when we can expect the KDE ESCs to be available, or maybe just a rough timeframe. For now, what off the shelf ESCs would you recommend for the 4012 or 4014?
And, what props were you using in your tests?
I watched the entirety of the video about these new motors, details indeed. I love epoxy encased coils as they remind me of good times in port working on sailboat electronics.

KDE Direct

KDE Direct, LLC.
Hi Patrick,

I was talking with Lawrence at ATI, I'm excited about what you can bring to the table from the heli world. Seeing your last post, I'd like to know when we can expect the KDE ESCs to be available, or maybe just a rough timeframe. For now, what off the shelf ESCs would you recommend for the 4012 or 4014?
And, what props were you using in your tests?
I watched the entirety of the video about these new motors, details indeed. I love epoxy encased coils as they remind me of good times in port working on sailboat electronics.

I can't share much information on the ESCs, they are still in development, but the goal is to release these by mid-March or a bit later. For now, I've been having decent luck with the Maytech Eagle-Multi Series with the SimonK firmware, and not ran into any issues. They don't appear to be the most efficient ESC by any means, but compatible with the KDE Direct XF motors. For the props, the data we provided has been with the T-Motor Carbon Fiber props, we'll also be looking to expand the data to other brands of props in the near future from our Dyno. Great to hear you enjoyed the video, always great to hear. :)

kloner

Aerial DP
sup kde, were testing through the 3520 and 4014 for our rtf kits coming out... loving the power, nice smooth footage, clean results, they don't draw a whole heck alot at 6 lbs quads but they sure fly good. thumbs up to the motors, i'm diggin them.

that was all shot on it, little one man brushless long range rig with a hero..... Look forward to some bigger stuff for the real lifting from you guys like u7 or the u11 12s offerings..... I get to you guys through Garret at alttitude

Last edited by a moderator:

sk8brd

Hi KDE-looking forward to the esc's from you guys at this time... though currently i own turning plush's will those work ok w/the kde motor's?

KDE Direct

KDE Direct, LLC.
Hi KDE-looking forward to the esc's from you guys at this time... though currently i own turning plush's will those work ok w/the kde motor's?

I don't have any personal experience with the Turnigy Plush series, but if they are SimonK based or similar algorithm, then there should be no issues.