Just received what I wanted for a long time....THE PIRATEYE monocular video glasses

ChrisViperM

I was looking for a solution to watch my bird flying AND be able to see where the camera is pointing and get my OSD infos at the same time. There are a few (also cheaper) other options avalible, but I decided for this:

Today I received my parcel and just by looking and touching, this is TOP quality stuff. Since I am a bit on the shortsighted side, it also ordered an adapter for corrective lenses.

I bought the Pirateye from Cederic of http://www.1001copters.com/lang-en/...es/44-lunette-video-monoculaire-pirateye.html and I am more than happy with the way Cederic is running his business and served me as a customer....hell of a nice guy on top of it

Chris

Attachments

• pirate eye.jpg
    pirate eye.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 511
Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
that makes the most since for framing shots, that way your not locked in like goggles or taking your eyes off it to look down

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Doesn't this mean you have to close one eye to look at the aircraft? Won't the lack of stereoscopic vision mean you lose depth perception?

Kilby

Doesn't this mean you have to close one eye to look at the aircraft? Won't the lack of stereoscopic vision mean you lose depth perception?

That's always been my concern with this approach. The lack of depth perception from only having one eye on the target seems very scary to me. Please let me know how you get on with these after you have had a few test flights, especially after you fly up and over a few objects.

ChrisViperM

The glasses are made in a way that you can actually look with both eyes at the bird. The side where the monocular sits doesn't really interfere with your sight because the monocular sits pretty "deep" on the glasses.. If you want to see if your camera is in the right position, you just quickly look into the monocular. According to some people who use it already it takes a little bit of training to get used to it...Depht perseption is not an issue for me since I rather SEE what my bird is doing and only use the mono for a quick look to get the info I need.

PS: It will not replace a real FPV, but to me it's a perfect compromise of both worlds

Chris

swisser

I have a set of these for sale. Unfortunately the previous time I advertised them the buyer wasn't able to come through. Price is £240 plus shipping. They are in as new condition and I can throw in a prescription glasses insert.

Maverick

I have a set of these for sale. Unfortunately the previous time I advertised them the buyer wasn't able to come through. Price is £240 plus shipping. They are in as new condition and I can throw in a prescription glasses insert.

Hi swisser,
Are the ones you have for sale the exact same make and model as In post #1...?
Any pics? I might be interested...

Cheers.

swisser

I've had a number of PMs about these. Yes, they are the ones shown in the first post of this thread. They are complete and unused (other than testing). They also include the optional eyeglass insert that doesn't come with the standard kit. The price is £240 plus shipping. For those that have asked, shipping in the UK is £10, Europe is £20 and US is £25, which is insured and trackable and delivery estimate of 5 days. Next day to the US would be £60.

View attachment 5975

Attachments

• _D7K3326.JPG
    _D7K3326.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 384

Maverick

I've had a number of PMs about these. Yes, they are the ones shown in the first post of this thread. They are complete and unused (other than testing). They also include the optional eyeglass insert that doesn't come with the standard kit. The price is £240 plus shipping. For those that have asked, shipping in the UK is £10, Europe is £20 and US is £25, which is insured and trackable and delivery estimate of 5 days. Next day to the US would be £60.

View attachment 7933

If you accept PayPal, I'll take them.

crcr

@chrisViper - how are you getting on with the pirate eye glasses? any good? I'm looking to buy some.

Cheers
Craig

Maverick

Mine are working a treat, as you can see from my Avatar! I tend to use them with the tinted lenses most of the time, as it gives me a better contrast to the screen inside the monocular. But saying that, you could always rig up some sort of a foam surround for that eye, to act as a sun shade, to stop the light bleeding through. On a bright day, using the non-tinted glasses, doesn't really work, as all you see is the glare/reflection. A bit like trying to look inside a house window from outside, without putting your hands between the glass and your eyes...
The depth perception thing doesn't come into it, as you never have only one eye on your craft. The image is very sharp, because of the FOV. A bit like comparing FatShark AE RCV922 with 46* FOV, and Dominators - Slightly smaller, but sharper.
All in all, very handy for framing your shots, yet still being fully aware of all your surroundings; behind your 'bird'; above; to the side; below. Not like FPV, where if you drift backwards or sideways, or lose altitude, by the time you notice it in the FPV goggles, it might be too late! This way, you're always 100% aware of your proximity to any obstacles/hazards like power lines, poles, trees, buildings etc, as you never have to tilt your head down or away from your craft. Just glance your eyeball down. A bit like glancing in your rear view, or wing mirror, while driving your car - you still are aware what's going on in front of you!
Bottom line - no regrets.

Maverick.

Maverick

As a trial, you could maybe try wearing FatSharks loosely, so as they sit low on your nose, like a pair of reading glasses, but you can still see out over the top of them. It might give you some idea as to having the best of first-person AND third-person view. Fly your craft LOS, and use your goggles for glancing down.

View attachment 11343

Maverick.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 236

ChrisViperM

@chrisViper - how are you getting on with the pirate eye glasses? any good? I'm looking to buy some.

Cheers
Craig

Hi....my Pirate's are still great. As Maverick pointed out, a slightly tinted lens helps a lot in bright sunlight....Maverick's whole review in Post #13 is spot-on.....BUT: It is also important to consider what you want to do with them. With my TBS Disco I use the Fatshark Dominators (I tried the Attitude, but the cheaper Dominators give me a more crisp image), but this is mainly FPV flying for fun. Since you only have POV, I find it sometimes difficult to to estimate the distance to the ground and to objects. When filming things where it is important to keep the object you are filming in a certain area of your screen without "jumping" arround, especially moving objects , you need a set-up with a second person, one is flying ands one is operating the camera....and there is the real strenght of the Pirateye. I fly the copter, and with the Pirate's I can concentrate on the position and movement of the Copter, while the other person can move the camera. Second person is using Fatsharks and I am using the Pirates and can have a glance any now and then what the camera is "doing"....also have all the info coming from the OSD.

Chris

crcr

Mine are working a treat, as you can see from my Avatar! I tend to use them with the tinted lenses most of the time, as it gives me a better contrast to the screen inside the monocular. But saying that, you could always rig up some sort of a foam surround for that eye, to act as a sun shade, to stop the light bleeding through. On a bright day, using the non-tinted glasses, doesn't really work, as all you see is the glare/reflection. A bit like trying to look inside a house window from outside, without putting your hands between the glass and your eyes...
The depth perception thing doesn't come into it, as you never have only one eye on your craft. The image is very sharp, because of the FOV. A bit like comparing FatShark AE RCV922 with 46* FOV, and Dominators - Slightly smaller, but sharper.
All in all, very handy for framing your shots, yet still being fully aware of all your surroundings; behind your 'bird'; above; to the side; below. Not like FPV, where if you drift backwards or sideways, or lose altitude, by the time you notice it in the FPV goggles, it might be too late! This way, you're always 100% aware of your proximity to any obstacles/hazards like power lines, poles, trees, buildings etc, as you never have to tilt your head down or away from your craft. Just glance your eyeball down. A bit like glancing in your rear view, or wing mirror, while driving your car - you still are aware what's going on in front of you!
Bottom line - no regrets.

Maverick.

Thanks for that. I currently have a pair of Eye top centra glasses but haven't used them for a while as the resolution is no good and it's easier to frame the shot looking at my 7" monitor. But it can get a bit uneasy when the wind is up and you're trying to fly and look down at a monitor at the same time, which is why I want to go back to the glasses but need something better/higher resolution than Eye tops and that will also allow me to read the OSD. I'm guessing the Pirate Eyes give you a clear picture and also allow you to easily read text?

Thanks
Craig

crcr

Thanks Chris, sorry I had this topic open for a while before posting so didn't see your post before hand. thanks again.

I want mine for a one man operation for framing shots and also wanting to see the osd.

Craig

ChrisViperM

Thanks for that. I currently have a pair of Eye top centra glasses but haven't used them for a while as the resolution is no good and it's easier to frame the shot looking at my 7" monitor. But it can get a bit uneasy when the wind is up and you're trying to fly and look down at a monitor at the same time, which is why I want to go back to the glasses but need something better/higher resolution than Eye tops and that will also allow me to read the OSD. I'm guessing the Pirate Eyes give you a clear picture and also allow you to easily read text?

Thanks
Craig

Strange enough, but the Pirateye gives me a sharper and brighter image than the Fatsharks.....I was talking to an optometrist last week (I got new Bi-focal glasses and and felt sea-sick) he explained something interesting to me: The eye is seeing something and passes that information to the brain, where it gets "processed" in a way that you "see" a clear picture. If the information coming from the eye is "altered" through Bi-focal glasses for example, the brain has difficulties to transfer that input to a clear picture. The brain needs some time to develop new synapses (about three weeks) in order to cope with the new situation. The same applies to working with a monitor, with Fatsharks or Pirateyes.....thats the reason people try on of these, don't feel comfortable and stop using them.
It just needs a few hours of "training" with any of those devices to give your brain time to adopt.....I feel much more confident after using my Pirateye for many hours now, and that change from focussing quickly from the little monitor to the copter and back feels much more natural now than in the beginning. Also the image of the little monitor in the Pirate's is sharper now than in the beginning.

Chris

Muunk

View attachment 7933

How many do you got? As I want one as well :)

crcr

hmmm, very interesting. Maybe I should give the Eye tops another try. But in saying that the resolution is only 340x280 and the Pirate Eye is 640x480 so the Pirates should be a lot better?

Craig