iPad Ground Station Issues

Jel

Has anyone successfully used DJIs Ground Station app with iOS7 ? I cannot get past the password stage, which is probably a good thing as I've heard and see some pretty messed up things using GS with iOS7.

I'm dying to test it but totally scared of it sending my S800 crashing to the ground and me screaming so load I might get arrested.

soler

I have also used this with the A2 after the BETA firmware release and this is working fine. I did try using the failsafe during a waypoint set and although it showed FS & Waypoint in my IOSD it continued on the Waypoint mission. I guess that while it is on a mission FS is disabled until the end of the mission (or that it losses contact with the ground station, so far I have not tested this)

Jel

So I grew a pair over night and decided to test my S800 with DJI's GS app. The test went well and the GS app seems to work pretty well with iOS7. I'm looking forward to when the sim is iOS7 compatible.

I do have a couple of questions though.

1st - I had a tip over on one of the GS autonomous landings. It landed on not 100% level ground and bounce a couple of times and then tipped over. Lucky no real damage, just the rubber mounts that hold the Z15 to the landing gear popped out :shame:. Has anyone else experienced this with GS landings ?

2rd - How does Offline mode work ? I have a WiFi only iPad and when I got to the field I had no map, only a one set zoom level I could see the road close by and definitely no satellite view. Is that how it works or do you plan your flight beforehand and then it's stored ???

Thanks Jel

jwk72

That's a great question... Hadn't thought of that. I guess one could use the "personal hotspot" on their phone if all else fails.

i started out posting this on RCG but haven't gotten any real responses so I figured I'd try here a d see if anyone has input. After a bunch of problems it seems I finally got my F450/naza v2/GPS going. I've got the Bluetooth data link for use with the ipad GS (have not updated to iOS 7 yet). After making sure everything was looking good in the assistant I decided to head out to the back yard and try out the sim on the app. Got everything linked up and has 5-6 sats the whole time but was getting random disconnection and "GPS not ready" errors. Everything looked ok but no connection at times. I'm sure the naza and all software is up to date and am fairly certain the BT stuff is as well. I am keeping at least 5 meters between the ground end and the air end and about 2-3 meters between the ground end and the iPad. Any ideas?

Need to figure a few things out.... Like why during one sim run the aircraft went to waypoint 4 (out of 4) and stayed there as opposed to going to WP1 and moving on to the next.

Just out of curiosity I'm going to try to describe my layout to see if anyone sees an issue. I've got this on an F450 with the longer part of the bottom plate going front to back, Naza centered on lower plate, PDU on rear of lower plate, AR8000 on front of lower plate (remote on side of upper plate) and BTU mounted on bottom side (inverted/centered) of top plate with antennas facing forward along front arms to maintain the 90 degrees. There doesn't seem to be any connection issues with the AR8000/DX18/Naza that I can see...seems to be isolated to BT.

This is gong to make it hard for me to trust flying with the iPad...

danproud

I did my first test with the ipad GS and ios7 a few days ago, S800 EV0 Wookong. It seemed to work really well. It really is a scary thing, having 5 grand up in the air flying itself!

Jel

That's a great question... Hadn't thought of that. I guess one could use the "personal hotspot" on their phone if all else fails.

i started out posting this on RCG but haven't gotten any real responses so I figured I'd try here a d see if anyone has input. After a bunch of problems it seems I finally got my F450/naza v2/GPS going. I've got the Bluetooth data link for use with the ipad GS (have not updated to iOS 7 yet). After making sure everything was looking good in the assistant I decided to head out to the back yard and try out the sim on the app. Got everything linked up and has 5-6 sats the whole time but was getting random disconnection and "GPS not ready" errors. Everything looked ok but no connection at times. I'm sure the naza and all software is up to date and am fairly certain the BT stuff is as well. I am keeping at least 5 meters between the ground end and the air end and about 2-3 meters between the ground end and the iPad. Any ideas?

Need to figure a few things out.... Like why during one sim run the aircraft went to waypoint 4 (out of 4) and stayed there as opposed to going to WP1 and moving on to the next.

Just out of curiosity I'm going to try to describe my layout to see if anyone sees an issue. I've got this on an F450 with the longer part of the bottom plate going front to back, Naza centered on lower plate, PDU on rear of lower plate, AR8000 on front of lower plate (remote on side of upper plate) and BTU mounted on bottom side (inverted/centered) of top plate with antennas facing forward along front arms to maintain the 90 degrees. There doesn't seem to be any connection issues with the AR8000/DX18/Naza that I can see...seems to be isolated to BT.

This is gong to make it hard for me to trust flying with the iPad...

Hi jmk72,

Try testing in a larger area. Not sure what your back yard is like but if it is surrounded by tree or buildings you will not get a great GPS signal.

I had the same problem when I ran a ( real life ) multi WP run. It went to the last WP first, very scary.

Jel

jwk72

Hi jmk72,

Try testing in a larger area. Not sure what your back yard is like but if it is surrounded by tree or buildings you will not get a great GPS signal.

I had the same problem when I ran a ( real life ) multi WP run. It went to the last WP first, very scary.

Jel

The issue I'm having isn't GPS... I've got a good lock on 5-6 sats all the time. What's happening to me is I'm losing contact between the iPad and the quad (ground end and air end) I think.

Jel

My bad regarding the GPS signal. I think the question was lost in the middle there somewhere.

Have you tried having the BTU closer to the iPad, I'm not sure the distance has the be 2/3m, only the 2.4G units should not be closer than 1.5m.

jwk72

My bad regarding the GPS signal. I think the question was lost in the middle there somewhere.

Have you tried having the BTU closer to the iPad, I'm not sure the distance has the be 2/3m, only the 2.4G units should not be closer than 1.5m.

I can certainly try it. I'm pretty sure the BT signal should be strong enough for 10-15 feet as even a BT earpiece is good to about 30 feet. I'll try anything though.

danproud

Jwk72, have you tried using your iPad closer to the BTU? The app tells you the BT & 2.4ghz signal strength so you should be able tell which one is the problem.

Also about going to strait to your last waypoint, you need to set the first waypoint as no1 with the double arrow marker.

Hope you can get it sorted. It's working for me perfectly.

Jel

Jwk72, have you tried using your iPad closer to the BTU? The app tells you the BT & 2.4ghz signal strength so you should be able tell which one is the problem.

Also about going to strait to your last waypoint, you need to set the first waypoint as no1 with the double arrow marker.

Thanks for the reply about waypoints and double markers. Its very DJI, some things are so obvious and then others are completely counter intuitive.

jwk72

signal strength is good all around... It just randomly disconnects and tells me it lost connection. It's not the GPS because the led would let me know. Last time I tried it I must have had full sat connection because there were no red lights at all. Ill see if I can take a pic of the screen next time it happens.

Anyone know how to do a screen shot on iPad? I know it can be done because my kids do it accidentally all the time!

danproud

signal strength is good all around... It just randomly disconnects and tells me it lost connection. It's not the GPS because the led would let me know. Last time I tried it I must have had full sat connection because there were no red lights at all. Ill see if I can take a pic of the screen next time it happens.

Anyone know how to do a screen shot on iPad? I know it can be done because my kids do it accidentally all the time!

Press the power and home button at the same time for screenshot. saves it to your camera roll.

Jel

So I did a more thorough test of the GS app in iOS7 and this thing is still very buggy. Using multi WPs the app worked well once and then crapped out the next, even with the GS template the thing spazzed out and couldn't figure out where to go. Let's hope they update it soon as it could be very cool but just isn't right now.

GS app won't connect

[The new GS app is now available and is optimized for iOS7. Those that were having issues should now be able to connect

hi Tahoed
mine is a brand new iPad air latest software
worked ok until i updated datalink/ground station firmware now cannot get it to connect to iPad login ok but no connection updating firmware was a NIGHTMARE took 50 attempts at least now i wish i had left it alone am seriously thinking of selling all my dji stuff it is nothing but trouble haven't even got my new x8 with wookong m 50 waypoint plus iOSD MKii
(sent my first faulty iOSD MKii back to quadcopters.co.uk and bought another that works perfectly still waiting for refund) in the air yet it weighs 7k am worried that with dji kit on it i will end up killing someone when it falls out of the sky if it ever gets into the sky

any help please

tiggybengal

Tahoe Ed

[The new GS app is now available and is optimized for iOS7. Those that were having issues should now be able to connect

hi Tahoed
mine is a brand new iPad air latest software
worked ok until i updated datalink/ground station firmware now cannot get it to connect to iPad login ok but no connection updating firmware was a NIGHTMARE took 50 attempts at least now i wish i had left it alone am seriously thinking of selling all my dji stuff it is nothing but trouble haven't even got my new x8 with wookong m 50 waypoint plus iOSD MKii
(sent my first faulty iOSD MKii back to quadcopters.co.uk and bought another that works perfectly still waiting for refund) in the air yet it weighs 7k am worried that with dji kit on it i will end up killing someone when it falls out of the sky if it ever gets into the sky

any help please

tiggybengal

I do feel your pain. I think that your issues are Apple iOS related rather than DJI related. I am still on v6.1.3, I never upgraded. I don't know about the iPad AIR, I am on a Mini. You should have all functions with the exception of sym mode.