S800 EVO - landing gear help.

Maverick

My setup is pretty much just that: Futaba 14sg, R7008SB in mode D, the WKM is connected via S-Bus2 (the low horizontal port in the receiver), and the gear on the Evo are controlled by the single connection on channel 9 (which in mode D is mapped to port 1 on the receiver). So, two connections to the receiver (one to the WKM, another to the gear) plus I also have a voltage cable connected for telemetry. The gear on the Evo works just fine out of the box this way. That's it for flight control / gear on mine so I can't say how any other servos might work, but given that you can connect them individually to unused channels 10 or higher (2, 3, 4, ... on the receiver) I would have to think they would work just as well (or not) as anything else connected to a single Futaba channel. Apart from this, I have the Zenmuse on a separate receiver -- an R6208SB -- linked to another radio and connected via a single S-Bus cable itself.

@econfly,

will this theory work using T8FG SUPER w/R6208SB...?

At present, I'm using this combination, and could do with a few more channels... I have it wired using the traditional method, so all ports are being utilised. Is there any way, using this Tx and Rx, that I can free up more channels...? Will it work if I wire it via S-Bus, will that also allow me to use Rx ports 1-7 as channels 9 - 14...?

@econfly,

At present, I'm using this combination, and could do with a few more channels... I have it wired using the traditional method, so all ports are being utilised. Is there any way, using this Tx and Rx, that I can free up more channels...? Will it work if I wire it via S-Bus, will that also allow me to use Rx ports 1-7 as channels 9 - 14...?
Sadly, no (if I'm understanding your question correctly).
The R6208SB receiver has it's outputs "hardwired", so to speak, to channels 1 through 8. You can use S-Bus, but the Naza or Wookong will only respond to channels 1 through 8. There's no way to map a Naza or Wookong to channels 9 and above without some external decoder. There are several choices for external S-Bus decoders. Futaba makes them (though very expensive), as well as FrSky, and the ones I use from Hobby King (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=24481). These solutions will get you to the S-Bus channels 9-14 and DG1/2.
I hope that makes sense.

Maverick

Sadly, no (if I'm understanding your question correctly).
The R6208SB receiver has it's outputs "hardwired", so to speak, to channels 1 through 8. You can use S-Bus, but the Naza or Wookong will only respond to channels 1 through 8. There's no way to map a Naza or Wookong to channels 9 and above without some external decoder. There are several choices for external S-Bus decoders. Futaba makes them (though very expensive), as well as FrSky, and the ones I use from Hobby King (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=24481). These solutions will get you to the S-Bus channels 9-14 and DG1/2.
I hope that makes sense.

What is DG1/2...?

So, if I were to upgrade, which it looks like I need to, would I be better with the R6014, or is there an S-Bus Rx better for my needs, with the T8GF SUPER...?

econfly

@econfly,

I just tried to get that to work on my 6208 -- no luck. It has two modes (A and B) and I played around switching from modes A to B, etc., but all I could get to work is the numbered ports mirroring the S-bus channels. With a NAZA or Wookong I think the best you can do is to run S-Bus on the low horizontal port and then use channel 8 for an external servo. So for the Evo I would run 8 to the gear with the Wookong picking up 1-7 over S-Bus. Maybe I'm wrong and there is some way to get more than 8 channels out of this receiver (apart from the S-Bus). I just can't figure out how to do it if it's possible. With an S-Bus decoder, as noted above, you can pull out all of the channels your radio can manage.

Maverick

Thanks for testing econfly - I appreciate it. So how actually do I get more than 8 channels out of this receiver, using S-Bus...? Do I plug the decoder into S-Bus port, then plug the shutter and zoom servo plugs into the decoder...?

Hey guys!
DG1/2 are the digital channels 1 and 2. The T8FG and other S-BUS supporting transmitters/receivers have 14 "analog" channels (0-100%) and 2 digital channels (on/off).

I personally like the combination of the 6208 with 1 or 2 of those HobbyKing S-BUS decoders (depending if you need 12 or 16 channels). Sure, you can look at other receivers, but at a cost.

I am not really familiar with the R6308SBT receiver, so I really can't help you there. I looked for documentation on it and didn't any.

econfly, the 6208 only supports 1 through 8. When you read the manual about the other channels, and its A/B mode, it's telling you the procedure for programming S-BUS supporting devices that can be programmed (such as one of their servos or bus decoders). I learned that the hard way. :(

I use 1 R6208SB receiver that runs the Wookong's 7 channels, the landing gear servos, and the Z15 Zenmuse gimbal's 8 channels. All for a single operator setup.

So, Maverick, to answer your last question, the way you do that is through S-BUS decoders. So you hook up the S-BUS output of the 6208 to a splitter, and send one signal to the Naza or Wookong, and the other to an S-BUS decoder. The decoder then has 4 outputs that you wire to individual servos or device inputs. If you want to use all available S-BUS channels, then use a 3-way splitter and feed the additional split to a second decoder. So in this configuration you have one S-BUS wire going to an S-BUS device (e.g. WKM), the two others to the decoders which feed the additional 8 outputs (1 through 14, and DG1 and DG2).

I hope this is making some sense... please ask freely any questions you may have.

Maverick

ProPilotWannabe - this is excellent! Thank you! I have asked so many people about this, (not on here) and they didn't know, or even if think it was possible!

When you say, splitter, you're referring to that hobbyking link you posted earlier, right...? Or is it just a Y-cable...? Or is it an "S-Bus Hub"...?

I have an R6308SBT on a smaller machine, and could swap it out for the R6208 that's on my larger machine that I need the extra channels for, if it was the better option...?

Here is the documentation on the 6308 if you could read it and decipher it for me please...? Thanks!

http://www.robbe.de/robbe/downloads/get/file/edc00d09c4524eaec7cf847412f22a37

Last edited by a moderator:

No, when I was referring to a splitter I was differenciating it from the decoder that I gave the link for. You are correct that they both have 1 input and multiple outputs. When I said "splitter" I was referring to a dumb parallel wire soldering job you can do yourself (or buy, like this one http://www.amazon.com/ProgressiveRC...382408580&sr=8-3&keywords=servo+wire+splitter). There isn't any circuit in a "splitter", it's just all the white wires soldered together, then the blacks, etc. However, in the case of an S-BUS "decoder" (can't be built because it requires an active circuit, so you'd buy one with the other link from HobbyKing), the one input is an S-BUS input, and the decoder extracts out of the S-BUS protocol the signal intended for a single servo, and put that signal on one of the output wires, then repeats that for each of the output wires.

Thanks for the documentation on the R6308SBT. Yes, it would look like you could get the additional channels you need out of the R6308SBT. From what I can read, you'd want it in D mode so that you would use the S-BUS/8 output connecting it to the Wookong and using channels 1-8. Then you would connect individual servo wires to outputs 1-7 which will actually be mapped to channels 9 thrugh 15. However, your T8FG only supports 14 proportional outputs, so you really won't be able to use the output labeled 7. If your transmitters are compatible, then yes, I would recommend swapping out your receivers and try to get that working. You have the hardware and wouldn't need anything else, other than your "engineering" skills.

Have fun! I'm hear if I can help with any other questions.

Maverick

Thanks again for your info!!! Excellent!

Since my last post, I have been reading up on this and looking at the decoder and hubs, and realise that the S-Bus Hub, is just a glorified name for a Y-splitter, only it's in a nice square housing. I can't believe the difference in the price between the HobbyKing combo, which includes the decoder AND programming card, and the Futaba version...! When you buy the Futaba decoder, then the programmer, you're already into €75!

Up until now, this seemed very complex to me, but after your explanation, I understood better what I was reading on the PDF Instruction manuals on the robbe.de website, and its all very clear now how it all works. I just couldn't get my head round it before, but now I can!

All I need to do now is the Rx transplant - 'open heart surgery' lol, and re-configure the radio settings!

A fellow multirotor flyer once told me, that he didn't like using S-Bus, because he felt it was slower than traditional PWM... I found it hard to believe, as its newer technology, and I imagined that it could only be better... I have since built an F450 using S-Bus, and didn't notice any latency. Have you ever heard of this thinking before...?

Thanks again PPW,

Mav.

BTW, I use the same T8FG Super for both Rx's.

Sorry folks for the deviation from the thread - didn't mean to hijack!

Last edited by a moderator:

Maverick

One more thing PPW, when setting up the R6308SBT, using S-Bus, should it be in 'normal mode' or 'high speed mode'. Is high speed mode just for digital servos, for example in 3D helis...?

As for the latency, I have never noticed. The FAAST systems have something like an 8msec delay (if I remember my facts correctly), so I can't imagine a person would recognize that. Anyways, with aerial photography you aren't needing the response times you do for 3D pilots, and for AP application S-BUS is more than fast enough.

As for normal mode or high speed, I don't recall for sure, but I"m quite sure my 6208 is set to high speed mode and it drives the WKM through S-BUS, as well as the landing gear servos. Let me know if you need me to research my 6208 config for that, but I pretty much left it as is out of the box.

Maverick

No problem. I should be fit to suss it out myself, by the colour of the LED on the Rx I think... I can look up the manual.

soler

Hey guys!
DG1/2 are the digital channels 1 and 2. The T8FG and other S-BUS supporting transmitters/receivers have 14 "analog" channels (0-100%) and 2 digital channels (on/off).

The T8FG has 12 "analog" channels and 2 digital channels

I can't believe the difference in the price between the HobbyKing combo, which includes the decoder AND programming card, and the Futaba version...! When you buy the Futaba decoder, then the programmer, you're already into €75!

The Hobby King or FRSky can only program normal analogue channels not the 2 DG channels on the T8FSG Super, while the Futaba Decoder allows you to decode the DG channels by the USB dongle

Maverick

The T8FG has 12 "analog" channels and 2 digital channels

The Hobby King or FRSky can only program normal analogue channels not the 2 DG channels on the T8FSG Super, while the Futaba Decoder allows you to decode the DG channels by the USB dongle

Interesting stuff soler!

What exactly does it mean...? Is it giving you two more analogue channels..?

soler

The two DG or On/Off channels can be used for landing gear or shutter. I tried to use these from SBUS with the FRsky decoder but they cannot be accessed with this, the only way i found to do this was with the Futaba Decoder and the USB software. This way you can use the full 14 Channels of the 8FGS (12 proportional + 2 on/off)

Interesting stuff soler!

What exactly does it mean...? Is it giving you two more analogue channels..?