How to set t8fg failsave to WKM?

Tomstoy2

Thanks, Dave, especially for your help! :tennis:

Everything is now ready for for maiden!!! Calibration of compass, gps lock, still to do. Wind ain't co-operating, steady at 8, gusting to 26mph! But, thats taken 15 miles away. My bush in the back yard, ( my wind gauge ) says it ain't that bad here. We'll see.

Guess the traditional ports on the Futaba reciever are all disabled when in s-bus. Bummer. Might just have to power the LED's off the vtx battery, no dual modes. :dejection:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
A friend and myself both tried our WKM hexas and could not get the failsafe in hover mode to descend at all. His failsafe was set to lower the throttle on a futaba, mine was set to fail safe to the switch mode on a JR.

Tomstoy2

I only had the one flight today, was windy as hell and dramatic gusts, so never tried the failsafe function.
Got another storm front moving in so don't know when I'll get around to another test flight. I hate winter!

Still, was so damn impressed with how she held not only in attitude mode, but a small test in gps.

Glad you didn't tumble this one!
What gains are you running?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
well, I did have a loose prop nut when I first took off and a prop flew right off. but it actually gave me a chance to see that the hex can hold itself from going haywire on 5 motors! Always wanted to know this. I am flying avrotos on 3s with APC 12x3.8's and gains of 275/80. It was oscillating a bit but not horrible. The camera and gimbal were not on so the CG/weight was all off kilter. Pretty amazing. I am sure i will eventually move to 4s and 11x5's like everyone else and their mother. but I am going to see how good i can make this work with gains first.

We need a pros advice on a few issues here though:

1) how do you set up fail safe hover? seems to hold altitude no matter what throttle position.

2) PLEASE tell me the av130 has more range than this using the WKM! not acceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
For failsafe my understanding is just the control mode switch needs to be set and it will automatically put all other channels to position for hover. HOWEVER, I always put my throttle to mid stick when setting fail safe. I figure it can't hurt.

llbr22

I tried different throttle positions and all it did was hover and hold altitude in failsafe. I forgot, does it wait like 30 sec then auto land?

DaveM

Just a thought, I suppose you have got Go Home and landing checked in
the assistant software (Autopilot), and not just hovering.

Dave

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I was there with Libr22 when he tried various throttle positions. It just hovered in place. Maybe we didnt wait long enough for it to start coming down. My Naza smoothly comes down instantly when in failsafe. All I did was set the failsafe on the JR with the failsafe switch on. So why on the WKM does it refuse to come down?

llbr22

Just a thought, I suppose you have got Go Home and landing checked in
the assistant software (Autopilot), and not just hovering.

Dave

Nope, hovering. I rarely fly in a large enough area to play with RTH. So I just use hover. It's bizzarre, I setup my throttle at 25%, 50%, and 75% stick for failsafe, and every time going into failsafe it just hovered and held altitude... and since it was a breezy day it drifted a bit with the wind. Again we didn't wait to see if it would auto-land, but it doesn't say it will do that in the manual anyway.

Manual says: " If Hovering failed-safe method is triggered and U channel is disconnected, multi-rotor will auto land" doesn't say anything about a delay.

Any ideas?

remyd

Can someone give me some guidance on gimbal control programming for the 8fg when setup using sbus for an Octo. I have every thing else programed as per the excellent instruction in this thread. I know i plug the servos into the T&R ports but then do i simply assign channels 3 and 4 in the 8fg to correspond with a slider switch or will this then effect effect my throttle and rudder through the s-bus? I thought i would ask before i changed things :)
Cheers,
Remy

remyd

OK so adjusting channels 3 and 4 in the tx wasn't a good idea as expected this changed my throttle to the switch i chose. So what channel does t&R come through for the gimbal when going through sbus?

I would like to control the gimbal movement with the slider switched on the side of the tx.

All help appreciated.
Cheers,
Remy

remyd

Sorted thanks anyway - thought i could control roll as well as pitch but see now that X3 only controls pitch.

elorest

This is a tiny bit off topic as I have the Naza but I have the same transmitter Futaba 8FGS. I can set my failsafe up fine in the assistant. When I turn off my transmitter it automatically goes to failsafe mode. In autopilot I have it set up to "Return Home and Land." I have the gps set up right with the cable/arrow pointing forwards and the xyz offset in the assistant and I tested that it responds how I would expect in gps mode as per the naza manual, however when I tested the failsafe it goes up 20M and then heads off in completely the wrong direction. It crashed into a cliff and destroyed my frame. I haven another one on order that I should get in the a couple days but in the meantime I was wondering why would it just take off? I set a switch up on my transmitter now to switch it to failsafe mode, instead of having to turn my transmitter off, so I should be able to gain control in future tests if it doesn't work. Wish I had thought of that in the first place. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

was wondering if i could get some help. heres my conundrum

i have an octocopter, this was ordered with a er9x and turnigy 8 ch receiver. we got rid of the receiver and er9x and switched to a futaba t8fg super and 6208sb. im new to this all and i am trying my best but have become frustrated with getting this thing to fire up at all. i get power and leds but no props firing up.

this ocotocopter is setup with t-motor mt2814-10 and turnigy esc plush 30amp.
i have a wookong for mc
i have the 6208sb for rx

i have the rx running one sbus cable from sbus to x2 and got my pwn wire running to right side of wookong above m6, my imu wire is running above pwn wire. my escs are running

m1 -1
m2 -2
m3 -3
m4 -4
m5 -5
m6 -6
f1 +7
f2 +8

the previous setup had the red wire cut on the esc to wookong. not sure if thats still the way it needs to be.

i setup mode A on rx (6208)
i setup normal speed and tried high speed already

i have my switches setup already for failsafe, m/a/gps, courselock/homelock/off

on the tx (futaba t8fg super)

1 AIL
2 Ele
3 THR (reversed)
4 RUD
5 AUX 1-Course/homelock
6 Aux 2 -NA
7 Aux 5-M/A/GPS

everything looks good as it should be in the assistant software

at this point im pretty frustrated to not get anything firing up anymore since the change to futaba. any help would be greatly appreciated.

DJIFlyer

Hold up a second. You're using a T8FG, a R6208SB and a WKM flight controller, right? In which case you don't need a hub or anything else. Use a single servo cable to connect the SBUS port on the 6208 (the port on the side where the 8 servo connectors are, but oriented perpendicular to all the others) to port X2 on the flight controller. Then set up as follows:

Model Menu / Fail Safe / set all to F/S = HOLD and B.F/S = OFF and POS = blank
Model Menu / Function / Assign a three position switch to channel 7 AUX 5
Linkage Menu / End Point / Set the end points for channel 7 AUX 5 so that the assistant shows the mode selector going to each of GPS / A / M. On mine the numbers are 78 100 78 100, but do it with the assistant connected so you can see the pointer move. Make sure the selections light up blue on screen; it's not enough to just have the pointer under the section with the letter. Your mode switch is now done, but you will want another switch so that you can activate failsafe mode on command (which will then act as a "come home and land" command), to do this:
Model Menu / Prog. Mix / Define a mix to one of the empty slots and assign in to AUX5->AUX5. On the second screen assign the mix to a switch - you only need two values but a three position switch is fine, since there aren't many two position ones. The idea is that when applied to AUX5 it will shift its output to put it in to failsafe mode. It needs to be done so that it works regardless of where the AUX5 (mode) switch is. Again, do it whilst connected to the assistant so you can see the effect. On mine the values that work are >5 -68 >4 +0 >3 +32 >2 +6 >1 +51 in POINT mode. On the second page set Master to AUX5 + OFF and Slave to AUX5 OFF.

Verify it's all working by trying the mode switch in each of its three positions and checking that it goes in to each of the three modes, then flick your failsafe switch and check that regardless of the mode switch it stays in failsafe. If you've got failsafe on a 3 position switch check it in all three positions. Now when you're flying you should be able to hit the failsafe switch whenever you like and it will go in to failsafe mode regardless of what flight mode you were in. You can also switch it off again and it will go back to the previous mode. Finally check that if you switch off the TX that it goes in to failsafe.

Swisser: Your info herein was a huge help to me when I bought my new Futaba FG8 Super in terms of setting up FAILSAFE. I was able to get one of my 3-way switches to provide all 3 flight modes and was able to get a 2-way switch to provide FAILSAFE in all 3 modes. I can see this taking place in the software assistant for WKM and everything goes into the BLUE as it should and in all modes. What I cannot seem to do is get FAILSAFE to go to blue (or even budge) when I turn the TX OFF. I foolishly learned this the hard way this morning (although it could have been much worse). As I said, I had verified these FAILSAFE setting in assistant but neglected to verify that the unit went to FAILSAFE upon turning off the TX. When I turned the TX off while the quad was hovering, it went up and continued to go up until it was completely out of site. Hundreds of feet in the air with the sun right in my face. It is miracle that I was able to get it safely on the ground. When I hooked up the WKM to assistant and then switched off the TX to try and figure out what went wrong I saw right away what the problem was: Upon switching OFF the TX assistant switched to ATTI mode and the throttle was at approximately 80%. No wonder it shot off like a rocket. What is odd is that all of the settings you suggested worked perfectly for the modes, FAILSAFE switch worked perfectly too but turning the TX off does not change anything in assistant and I can't figure out why. Just a moment ago I verified that all of my setting are exactly like yours and everything does click into the BLUE brilliantly. I just can't get anything to happen when I shut off the TX.

Do you have any suggestions... as I am at a complete loss. Thanks for whatever you can offer. By the way: I am not using SBUS, just a regular 14 Futaba reciever if this matters.

I know this is an old thread but I'm struggling to figure this out. I have an 8FG Super with R6208 RX. I have tried and suceeded to set everything up via SBUS and everything worked as it should. TX off throw's the Skyjib into failsafe. My problem in SBUS is that I have a two position switch set up for "Go-Home" on X3 under the F/S tab.. that never worked to actually RTH. But I ended up just turning off the tx and RTH worked fine. That's issue #1..

Issue #2....
I have reconfigured the RX/WKM to traditional because I want to use the last channel (8) to control my retractable s.. but now that I'm wired that way, I turn off the tx and no fail safe condition.. the two way "Go-Home" switch still does nothing. The slider in assistant shows it moving from standby to start but it doesn't actually "GO-Home" while flying. All my fail safe conditions are setup in the tx as they should be and when I turn off the tx i see the throttle jump to 50%... but no blue fail safe on the slider.

Any ideas?

Disregard... i figured it out. difference being traditional requires a few more steps to make it all work... gotta have that 8th channel for the retracts!