How to set t8fg failsave to WKM?

Tomstoy2

Ok, you got me sold. Got to get ready for work now, (2nd shift), but will do tomorrow with everything charged up.

Once again, thanks for your help!

DaveM

I also got an 8FG Super at the weekend, and coming from Spektrum it is bit of a learning curve.

Progressed a bit with mine so far, and this may help.

The throttle channel 3, needs to be reversed in the TX or assistant software, then I think
the CFG error will go.

I also had the X2 slider moving with the throttle, for now on mine I have assigned X2 and X3
to the switches on the back of TX, RS and LS, I will possibly change this to the LD and RD later.

You would need to go into the function menu and change

Channel 5 to RS (or whatever switch you prefer)
Channel 6 to LS (or whatever switch you prefer)

This may help you, I still am Futaba newbie though :)

Dave

Tomstoy2

Ok Swisser. Back again.

Got all of that working up to gimbal control. My mode switch, (se), moves the 3 modes into the blue and failsafe mode now, when activated, puts all 3 modes into failsafe.

Thank you.

I still get a cf-err(8) on the assistant screen, though. I have no idea why?

Going into gimbal, I select on, but the roll/tilt compensation does not correct for movement of the hexa. I have my left slider selected on channel 6 of my tx, and I can manually move the tilt up and down.
Any ideas what I need to do here?

Also, in the assistant under auto-pilot, I was wondering what would be a good starting off point to enter the gains at for the Hexa? I understand what the manual is telling me, all dependent on all up weight, wind and other variables, but reading all the threads I am curious if I should start out at default gains or not? Not owning a bathroom scale, I have no idea what my all up weight is. Guess I had better find one and find out.
I don't know what you fly, but perhaps you have an idea, or somebody else does.
If I wanted to manualy adjust, say roll or pitch in flight, I assume I have to assign x3 to my right slider to do this since it is the last slider I have available?

Another question concerns the voltage monitor. I intend to run a 4s 5000mah battery. Any idea what values I should start with here?

Still concerns me about the cf-err(8) I get in the assistant? Any thoughts on that one? I did not have this when hooked up traditionally, only when I went to s-bus. Is this normal, should I be concerned?

DaveM

I had the same error on mine at the weekend using S-Bus

After I reversed the throttle channel, and sorted X2 not moving with the
throttle channel, callibrated the TX again, and recycled power to MC
the error had gone.

View attachment 2383

Attachments

• CFG Error.jpg
    CFG Error.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 195

Tomstoy2

The throttle is selected correctly, tx calibrated, x2 is in U control and moves with my flight mode switch position. Poewr to mc cycled, but I still get that error message?

DaveM

Did you disconnect the USB lead in the recycle ?

If not try this:

Calibrate TX
Click Finish
Shut down Assistant
Unplug USB cable
Disconnect MC power

Wait 5 seconds

Connect MC Power
Connect USB cable to PC
Open assistant

Check for error

Dave

Tomstoy2

Thanks, Dave! Error is gone.

Now to try to figure out my gimbal stabilization issue.

One thing I'm thinking about, I do have an independent stabilizer. So, if I took the gimbal off of the f1 and f2 ports and hooked it up instead to my independent stabilizer, and controlled the tilt thru the independent stabilizer with a 3 way switch, that would free up my other slider giving me both the sliders to adjust gains in flight.
Guess if I did this I would, what, then go to transmitter mode 2, set the switch for manual control of the gimbal tilt and plug the switch from one of the #1 thru 7 ports on the reciever?

I also have a DE led light controller on board that I need to control my led's that is not hooked up yet. I would like to have this linked to the throttle channel as the DE controller I have already programmed for flashing a sequence when in flight mode, and all on constantly when landing. So above throttle mid-stick would flash and below mid stick would be canstant on.
I'm assuming, once again I would need to do this on another mixing as I did with the fail-safes?

What does everybody think about this?

swisser

Your plan for the independent stabilizer sounds fine, though in your shoes I think I'd probably try the built-in one and compare the results with this external one to see which is better.

"So above throttle mid-stick would flash and below mid stick would be canstant on."

Keep in mind that when in GPS or Atti mode you are moving either side of mid point to ascend and descend. So this would mean that any descent would make your LEDs flash and any ascent would make them on constant. If that's what you want then fine. I think if it were me I would put them on a switch - off/flash/constant.

Tomstoy2

I have thought about that, too. May just do that as there is no need for led's half the tme that I can see, except to freak out wildlife.

So, am I right on how to assign channels 8-16 on the tx then, since the Wkm only recognizes 1-8?

Been thinking on why my gimbal stabilization does not work.
I'm assuming that it is due to nothing being plugged into X3?
Would I need to run a seperate cable from reciever channel 8 or higher?
For the life of me I can't remember how I had it working before in traditional mode.

Tomstoy2

Guys, I'm reaching out here. Any input will be appierciated.

Had to take tomorrow off. Awhile back I had to have a knee revision done, and the hamstring is so tight. Tonite I worked it too hard. So, I really would like to finish this off tommorow while I'm recuperating.

Don't you just hate learning new systems? Really, it's exciting as it gets. Truth is,,, I love it. To me, anyway, it is. The frustrations, the anguish, the beating yourself up, in the end, it's ALL WORTH IT! Nothing gets me off more.

I'll oenly admit, I've been flying something or another for 51 years now. But this,,, this to me IS the epotemy of my career in this hobby. Finally,,, finally, I feel that technology is catching up with my desires.

From collecting pop bottles as a child to finance rubber-band powered balsa planes, to 1/3rd scale gas powered planes, to helicopters, this is where my heart and dreams have evolved to.

All of this, with the help of fellow enthuests that feel like me,,, well, you understand. So, thanks!!! I bow to you.

DaveM

Glad you got the error sorted.

Not got around to re-doing my camera gimbal since swapping to
Futaba and S-Bus.

But when using S-Bus are the channels for gimbal control now
using the original ports T & R ?

Dave

View attachment 2401

Attachments

• S-Bus Channels.jpg
    S-Bus Channels.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 240

Tomstoy2

Hmmm, I'll try that! Somewhere I read that, too, but also read that is was when using for octo use. Makes perfect sence now.

If all else fails, read the damn directions,,,,

Tomstoy2

Yep, wire traditional it worked fine. After s-bus, servos powered but no stabilization.
Tried all kinds of different settings.
Gimbal on.

DaveM

Sorry not sure then.

If I get time later, I will hook mine up and check to see if
it is as before.

Dave

DaveM

Just re-checked mine after transfering to Futaba and S-Bus

All working as before on ports F1 & F2 on a quad

Dave

Tomstoy2

Gimbal is sorted.
Sometimes it's the simplest of things,,,, like gain.

I am so close to maiden now!
Plugged in the motors to the battery, tested all directions, for the 4th time.
Took the gimbal off for the initial flight tests, and reconfigured the cg. The snap-on battery tray is a nice feature. Makes it easy to reconfigure cg.
Epoxy drying on the gps mast, arrow forward.
After that drys, put on the props!

Still to do;
Compass calibration.
Testing gps lock.
Figure out how to power my LED's.
Pre-flight.
Voltage protection computation after first flight.

Wow! About there.

Wind acting up a little, 9mph, north/north-east, clear sky, 52 degrees F. Have to see what the wind does after the temp stabilizes, might have to wait for the evening to calm it down some. Does appear to be just pushing around as the temp rises, hopefully she will settle down.

For props, I have 8, 9 and 10 inch. All ballanced.
8's are just cheap Gaui's off the 330x. As I said, with 2 camera's and a 4s battery she has some weight. Though I haven't ran the figures yet, just think she will be on the top edge of power.
10's I figure will be over-proped, so will start with the APC 9x4.7 slo-fly's and see how she reacts.

GoPro charged up and head strap mounted, so I can get a vid of the maiden.

Back to the powering of the LED's. If I plug the connector into one of the traditional 1-7 ports and assign a switch, will that work?

DaveM

Glad you got it sorted :)

From what I have read, the XA Hexa frame with that size motors seem to suit 8" props
best on 4S.

Good luck with your maiden

Dave