How to set t8fg failsave to WKM?

Tomstoy2

I'm trying to figure out how to set the failsafes on a Futaba t8fg super. Right now I got it where if I turn off the tx it goes to att mode when in gps or manual mode. It does not highlight the failsafe. What am I doing wrong, any ideas?
On my tx, this is what I have failsafe set to, guys. Please check it out and let me know if this is correct or not.

ch 1 = ail = f/s =b. f/s on = 0%
ch 2 = ele = f/s = b. f/s on = 0%
ch3 = thr = f/s = b. f/s off ( not too sure on this one, figured the f/s functions on the fc would handle this along with tx timer )
ch 4 = rud = f/s = b. f/s on = 0%
ch 5 = gear, ( flight mode 3 pos. s/w ) = b. f/s on = +100%, ( no idea )
ch 6 = vpp, ( gimbal pitch ) = b. f/s on = =100%
ch7 = aux5, ( U port on fc ) = b. f/s off ( no idea )
ch 8-12 not presently used

I've played with the endpoint adjustments, but so far, all I can seem to do is to get it to go back to att mode, not failsafe. What am I missing?

llbr22

Assuming your using a receiver with more than 7ch. you need to set ch. 5 to a percentage that moves the flight mode to FS. mine is set to +46%.

program mix 1, rate L -50 H -50(set watching assistant slider) , master 7, slave 7 , mix off, link Off, sw SwD(or any free sw), Posi Down,
then flip switch down and record channel7 in failsafe state.

Tomstoy2

Thanks guys! I'll try that all out in the morning. Too late to mess with her now.

I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

Appreciate it! :02.47-tranquillity:

Tomstoy2

A little confused here.

I'm using an r6208sb reciever, but hooked up traditionally.
Channel 5 is hooked up to U, and end points are adjusted to bring the control mode switch, ( SE in my case ), to highlight gps and manual accordingly.

Set up my SD switch to off/off/on and mix according to David's above recommendations. Now activating SD goes both manual and gps into failsafe. I assume that is what it is supposed to do?

Manual states that when turning off the tx, it should go into failsafe mode, also. However, when I turn off the tx it goes into gps mode. Don't think this is right?

I set enhanced failsafe to go home and land.

Am I missing something?

llbr22

A little confused here.

I'm using an r6208sb reciever, but hooked up traditionally.
Channel 5 is hooked up to U, and end points are adjusted to bring the control mode switch, ( SE in my case ), to highlight gps and manual accordingly.

Set up my SD switch to off/off/on and mix according to David's above recommendations. Now activating SD goes both manual and gps into failsafe. I assume that is what it is supposed to do?

Manual states that when turning off the tx, it should go into failsafe mode, also. However, when I turn off the tx it goes into gps mode. Don't think this is right?

I set enhanced failsafe to go home and land.

Am I missing something?

that setup is correct to use a switch to enable failsafe. You still need to set your ch. 5 failsafe setting. try the % I mentioned above.

Tomstoy2

Ok, but if I do that, then how do I adjust the slider to select gps and manual modes?

I get done with this think I'll write a book, " WKM for Dummies, like me". :black_eyed:

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Ok, but if I do that, then how do I adjust the slider to select gps and manual modes?

I get done with this think I'll write a book, " WKM for Dummies, like me". :black_eyed:

I know it's possible because my mate has just helped me set up my 8FG super...but I wasn't paying enough attention! I will have a look tomorrow evening if I get a chance, to check the settings. We managed to get it to 50% throttle and failsafe when the tx is turned off, not tested but I'm sure it will work.

Gunter.

now when the slider (on WKM assistant) goes into failsafe with the flip of the switch on the transmitter, go to the Failsafe menu in the transmitter, scroll to the channel you set it up on, and hold the button down to record the failsafe position

Last edited by a moderator:

swisser

If you're using a r6208sb why do you have it "hooked up traditionally"? Why not use SBUS? Less wires, less to go wrong.

I use that receiver in SBUS mode with a T8FG. For "no transmitter signal" failsafe you don't have to do anything at all, it just works. For a switch to do failsafe you just program a simple mix, which when the switch is activated adjusts the output on the channel you're using for the mode switch. Set it up whilst it's plug in to the assistant so that you can adjust the figures and watch the slider moving around.

If you want to see my specific settings let me know.

Tomstoy2

Thanks Swisser, that would help.
I don't have the hub is why I didn't use the s-bus. I did, however, have a bunch of small length cables.
Should also mention I'm new the the t8fg, comming off of a dx7 for my fleet of heli's.
Trying hard to wrap my mind around why there are 4 end point setting per channel. Kind of understand it, but still a little confused.
Do love the ability to assign function.

So, let me run this thought by you guys, see if this works or not?

First, I adjust the end points of my SE switch to see failsafe and write it to the MC.

Then, I further the end points to see gps and normal and write it again?

SD switch is already programmed to failsafe And is working correctly, so at anytime in flight I can manually go into failsafe and back out of it if I desire.

Can it really be that simple? Seems to me that if I write SE again I should just be writting over the previous setting.

swisser

Hold up a second. You're using a T8FG, a R6208SB and a WKM flight controller, right? In which case you don't need a hub or anything else. Use a single servo cable to connect the SBUS port on the 6208 (the port on the side where the 8 servo connectors are, but oriented perpendicular to all the others) to port X2 on the flight controller. Then set up as follows:

Model Menu / Fail Safe / set all to F/S = HOLD and B.F/S = OFF and POS = blank
Model Menu / Function / Assign a three position switch to channel 7 AUX 5
Linkage Menu / End Point / Set the end points for channel 7 AUX 5 so that the assistant shows the mode selector going to each of GPS / A / M. On mine the numbers are 78 100 78 100, but do it with the assistant connected so you can see the pointer move. Make sure the selections light up blue on screen; it's not enough to just have the pointer under the section with the letter. Your mode switch is now done, but you will want another switch so that you can activate failsafe mode on command (which will then act as a "come home and land" command), to do this:
Model Menu / Prog. Mix / Define a mix to one of the empty slots and assign in to AUX5->AUX5. On the second screen assign the mix to a switch - you only need two values but a three position switch is fine, since there aren't many two position ones. The idea is that when applied to AUX5 it will shift its output to put it in to failsafe mode. It needs to be done so that it works regardless of where the AUX5 (mode) switch is. Again, do it whilst connected to the assistant so you can see the effect. On mine the values that work are >5 -68 >4 +0 >3 +32 >2 +6 >1 +51 in POINT mode. On the second page set Master to AUX5 + OFF and Slave to AUX5 OFF.

Verify it's all working by trying the mode switch in each of its three positions and checking that it goes in to each of the three modes, then flick your failsafe switch and check that regardless of the mode switch it stays in failsafe. If you've got failsafe on a 3 position switch check it in all three positions. Now when you're flying you should be able to hit the failsafe switch whenever you like and it will go in to failsafe mode regardless of what flight mode you were in. You can also switch it off again and it will go back to the previous mode. Finally check that if you switch off the TX that it goes in to failsafe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tomstoy2

Ok.
So, pulled all my wires off the reciever.
s-bus port to x2.
Plugged in data plug and pushed the bind until it switched to mode A.
Powered down the system and removed the data connector.
Set tx frequency to multi, (1).
Made changes in failsafe as you recommended.
Channel 5 was working correctly before, so left it as is. Same with channel 7

Now when hooking up to the GUI I see 2 things;
1. cgf-err (8), which means I have something wrong in tx calibration, but I have no clue being new to this radio and s-bus system.
2. In GUI tx cal screen, d-bus selected, stick sliders only move in one direction.

At this point my tx battery low alarm went off, so it's back on the charger for now until after work tonite.

What did I do wrong, and how do I get it corrected?

Really appreciate your help! Love the functionality of Futaba, but hate the manual.

Tomstoy2

Yes, calibration started, but like I said, the assistand sliders only show stick movement in one direction only. X2 slider goes from one end to the other when advancing the throttle, too?
The one thing I did not do, wase to reset each screen to default. Should I need to do this first?

swisser

What model type are you using on your transmitter? And do you have any custom programming going on there - mixes, etc, other than the one I mentioned?

swisser

Also, you can't infer anything from the stick movement indicators until you've done the calibration procedure in its entirety. Make sure you move all sticks through their full range several times, then click Finish.

Tomstoy2

I'm using aircraft. T8fg super.

No, I didn't hit finished. Just saw that, for example when moving aileran, it would regester full right, but when going full left it would stop at the mid-point.

Only mixing I have is on;
mix 1
both high and low at -50
linera
act off sd
x +0 y +0
master aux5 off off
slave off

Haven't put your settings in point mode yet. Will try that. Just don't see how that could give me this error warning.

I figure that has to be something I did wrong in in either the tx or maybe because I didn't reset to defaults in the assistant first?

swisser

The calibration process is pointless unless you hit finish. What it's showing you at the moment is how far it is moving before the calibration. The whole point of calibration is once it has "seen" the full extent of the range of movement it knows that those are the two extreme end points and makes it work across the entire range. There would be no harm in doing a reset to defaults, then doing the calibration process. What I'd suggest is this process:

1) Reset everything.
2) Start with a new aeroplane model on the Tx.
3) Do the Tx setup as I described above
4) Do the Tx calibration
5) Check that it all works