Home Inspector in Arizona Looking at Drone Options for Roof Inspections

SoCal Blur

so-cal, that wasn't directly at your rail comment, it was at airframes and motor counts in general

I engineer uav and test more gear in a month than most people see in a lifetime.... I drive 2 hours each way just to get in the wind 3-4 days a week, i'll disagree with your disagreement based on my observations

there is virtualy no difference from the number of motors. it's strictly the size and the amount of thrust compared to it's weight..... start putting too much weight they all suck, that is a 550 with anything bigger than a hero zen, she becomes overloaded and is a pig in the wind... quad is easy to tote around, hex becomes a baby seat in the car, a octo becomes the size of a couple people... i can fly my 5 lbs disco in wind with better results than i can my 32 lbs octos,,,,, bar none, day in and day out.....

For the most part, it's true. Assuming not carrying anything, and thrust/weight optimized on all platforms, the hex and the octos form a larger "platform" of thrust, a disk, if you will. All things being equal, It takes more external input to 'tilt' that larger disk then it does the smaller disk. That is basic Newtonian physics. And the tilting of the larger disks tend to be slower than the smaller disk with the same amount of external input. Clearly, there is a big difference flying a Quad carrying a GoPro vs. a Hex or Octo carrying a much heavier camera so its really comparing apples to oranges. That's why I said, as a general rule, a Hex or Octo in wind would be more stable. I also mentioned that it has a lot to do with the FC as well. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :tennis: There's nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Not sure that the Vuzix HD goggles are really best suited for FPV due to not being designed to block out all sunlight. They seem more geared toward movie watching etc. The fat shark style (there are others) make sure that what your eyes are getting is really just the screen view, no extraneous light etc.

also, often photo "resolution" or format (JPEG vs RAW) is not recognized as different than MP size. The larger the MP allows you to blow photos up larger, the resolution allows the camera to capture more adjustable parameters. Obviously they are related, but your choice could effect your output regardless of the size of the print.

Last edited by a moderator:

Accupro

Yea I get that, multi-stick is much different then firing off an AR from my iPad. I'm kinda looking at this more long term, hypothetically the FAA rulings will come out by the end of '15 and I'm thinking its going to be something like no more than 100', line of sight only, maybe a spotter, etc. I would have allot of time to practice and ratchet down the delimiters in the FC to keep me from going crazy. I also assumed I would be climbing roofs for the foreseeable future so the UAV is not a near term requirement. I could see were a ten year old could just blast through this no problem.

I'm thinking for me, based on my AR practice, that scanning the roof quickly and then editing the video may not be that effective, but it sounds like you have experience with such things and it may work that way. I kinda have a 6th sense about roof defects and I might see something on the roof that others might see as normal but to me I have a base of experiences that causes me to pause and go look closer, something I could not necessarily do by editing the video.

The other thing is the additional opportunities that having such a UAV could present like aerial video of higher-end properties and who knows what else? I currently have a database of 700+ realtors I work with so adding complementary services to my existing client base would be easy. I have a 12-year old web site with good rankings and great Yelp reviews so adding UAV to my web site would be easy (http://www.AccuProINSPECT.com).

kloner

Aerial DP
for something like this you would definately want to learn how with a monitor, ($70) so you can see the aircraft at all times los. once you could actualy do it succesfuly just move your head to the monitor, start learning how to take off and land but still able to look up and see it. So important, learn to land in the monitor, then get the goggles if you still feel necesary. having a blind fold on is alot like learning to fly instrument rating, you don't start there, you work your way up. Monitors are cheaper anyways

kloner

Aerial DP
my best friend from childhood is an inspector in Sacramento, been there going on 8-9 years now. he wanted to do this and as a friend i talked him out of it. not saying it is a bad idea, but if your insurance found out your doing this my guess is they will deny a claim or cancel you for doing something like this..... it's a pretty high risk gig. you want experience, you want more than one set of eyes on the situation, it takes a lot to run a multi safely & professionaly. years of practice. i'm 24 years in this april since i've belonged to the ama and i started with single rotor rc helis, nitro, before gyros.... 72mhz, god aweful but i learned it's behaviour and worked with it. same thing i do today just on a so much more advanced system, it's like it does it all itself

hence, hiring some kid to handle it for now and create a name for yourself doing this has alot of advantages.... namely to seperate you from "it"

Accupro

for something like this you would definately want to learn how with a monitor, ($70) so you can see the aircraft at all times los. once you could actualy do it succesfuly just move your head to the monitor, start learning how to take off and land but still able to look up and see it. So important, learn to land in the monitor, then get the goggles if you still feel necesary. having a blind fold on is alot like learning to fly instrument rating, you don't start there, you work your way up. Monitors are cheaper anyways

Yea I thought about that, maybe I need to go back and do it with the monitor. The AR uses the iPad and although I am able to kinda see the image on the iPad I really cannot pick out the detail I need to.

Assuming a monitor - the input to the monitor comes from its receiver, correct. I assume if I went with a video TX/RX system for the UAV then I would be able to upgrade to goggles with the same TX/RX system?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Yea I thought about that, maybe I need to go back and do it with the monitor. The AR uses the iPad and although I am able to kinda see the image on the iPad I really cannot pick out the detail I need to.

Assuming a monitor - the input to the monitor comes from its receiver, correct. I assume if I went with a video TX/RX system for the UAV then I would be able to upgrade to goggles with the same TX/RX system?

yes, you can upgrade later to have the "view system" be googles - with the same gear you would already have from the monitor.

Accupro

Hey Motopreserve just glanced at your web site, you and I have another shared interest, I to am a member of the SOHC4 forum, same user name (AccuPro). Are you familiar with VJMC?

Here is my signature from the SOHC4 forum:
'75 CB750F (Project Bike)
'05 GL1800 ABS Black Cherry (Current Ride)
'87 GL1200 Wineberry Aspencade
'83 GL1100 Wineberry Aspencade
'76 GL1000 LTD
'75 GL1000 Turquoise
'69 Honda 750cc Gold
'67 Honda 305 Dream Black
'63 Honda S90 Black
'61 Honda 50 Red
GWRRA #000008
VJMC Member

www.AccuProINSPECT.com

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Is that a '69 CB750????

I havent been over on the SOHC for a while. Will start up again soon as I did back in to theCB550.

Im familiar with the VJMC. A group I was associated with in NYC (Vinmoto) shared a booth space with them at the motorcycle show each year. We were certainly a more rag-tag crew - but I would argue our bikes were just as cool :)

Accupro

It was a '69 CB750 sandcast back in the day - GONE! I'm currently rebuilding a '75 CB750F, been working on it for three years now, complete teardown and rebuild!!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Oh, I thought that was your current stable. I always preferred the cb550 because they are a little lighter and I thought I'd never utilize that slightly faster top end. But now that I'm out of NYC a 750 might be in my future :)

Accupro

No just the bikes I've owned, typical signature in that forum, obviously a Honda guy. My current ride is an '05 Goldwing 1800 w/ABS and I'm fixing up the '75 CB750F. The '75 was the 1st year for the "F," only ran for 4 years as a SOHC. I also have my eye on a '63 or '64 305 Super Hawk and a '64 or '65 305 Dream. I'm kinda keeping them on the back burner until I get the 750 running. The CB550's were/are very popular. You should look up the VJMC in your area and go to one of their meetings/rides, its free and I can almost guarantee you will see a few 550's. Lots of great rallies on your side of the US, not so many on my side and in the summer I have to drive thru a few hundred miles of desert to get anywhere good to ride.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I've ridden a bunch here before moving up this way. But I gotta tell you, between waiting to ride and waiting to fly my quad - I CANT WAIT UNTIL SPRING!!! :)

I have some friends here (vintage bike guys as well) who can probably hook me up with some of those folks. Met some great guys through ADV forum last year. Kicked my *** on first off-road ride if done since I was 16!!!

Accupro

I use to work for Suss MicroTec out of Burlington and traveled back and forth allot. VT is kinda interesting lots of off the grid types, why do we pay taxes, etc., beautiful state with lots and lots of history, loved it!! Can't believe the winter you guys had this year, must be historic, lots of time to sit on the Internet or maybe fly drones in barns!!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Had? Man, I am still knew deep in snow and it was -8f here this morning. Spring can't come quick enough!

the wait will be worth it though. Plenty of roads devoid of traffic and cagers on cell phones :)

Too much time on the Internet - but I did start planning a ride out to Indiana for the Motogp this year. That should be a blast.

SoCal Blur

I'm thinking about making a trek to the IOM TT this year. That has to be my favorite race with MotoGP in second place and AMA Superbike/sportbikes in third.