HK Multistar high capacity, 10C batteries made for MR: Opinions from the experienced?

Have you verify the tempo with a temp gun?? Mine is a 4S 8000, in a hex with all gear, gimball, landing, camera video transmitter and additional 1000 3s battery for video only. It does land warm to the touch after 13 minutes flying and landing at 13 to 13.2 loaded voltage. You must verify also that, If you are measuring the voltage after landing, they tend to go up few seconds after no load state. You should verify the ending voltage loaded.

daniel

i bought 5 multistar 6S 10000 batteries, i just used two of them,
the first flight on my hexacopter with sony nex 5n, was only 3 minutes.....
the second battery was the same.
then i used one of my old 6S 6000 nanotechs, (more than 50 cycles!!!) and i flew for 6 almost 7 minutes....\

Should i return this piece of s..... batteries???

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
i bought 5 multistar 6S 10000 batteries, i just used two of them,
the first flight on my hexacopter with sony nex 5n, was only 3 minutes.....
the second battery was the same.
then i used one of my old 6S 6000 nanotechs, (more than 50 cycles!!!) and i flew for 6 almost 7 minutes....\

Should i return this piece of s..... batteries???

that at definitely seems like an issue.

Did you do some documenting of the data for charge, discharge, mah put back in, IR ETC?

There should be something wrong there, when you charged them back, how much miliamp they took?? the 10k??? I just charged mine and is a 8000 and it charged 8600. It was droop until 13v loaded.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
max discharge amperage for a 6S 10,000mah 10C pack should be 100 amps total. If you're running two batteries in parallel then they split the load and the max for the dual battery system would be 200 amps. That's maximum so if you're hovering at 50% throttle then you should be pulling 100 amps hovering to keep yourself from exceeding the max discharge amps level at max throttle.

these aren't necessarily going to be a great option for anyone that is out there flying FPV at max throttle around race courses or wide open expanses of land unless the packs are sized accordingly.

if you're hovering around, doing aerial media type stuff then you'll be more likely to find these packs useful.

also, for those of you with more advanced battery chargers, make sure there isn't a MAX MAH IN limit set in the charger that would prevent it from fully charging the packs due to a max mah limit being hit before the battery is fully charged.

daniel

my charger only does 6000 max at charge..... they take a while to charge....
maybe thats why they go fast in the air?

Bartman

if the batteries are much more than 6000mah then they're not being fully charged. you're saying there is a 6000mah limit before the charger shuts down, right?

I think you just responded your self what is the problem. You are not charging completly the batteries. A simple solution is to put another charge cycle on them. But it will not always work that way. You need to get a better charger for those lipos.

fltundra

max discharge amperage for a 6S 10,000mah 10C pack should be 100 amps total. If you're running two batteries in parallel then they split the load and the max for the dual battery system would be 200 amps. That's maximum so if you're hovering at 50% throttle then you should be pulling 100 amps hovering to keep yourself from exceeding the max discharge amps level at max throttle.

these aren't necessarily going to be a great option for anyone that is out there flying FPV at max throttle around race courses or wide open expanses of land unless the packs are sized accordingly.

if you're hovering around, doing aerial media type stuff then you'll be more likely to find these packs useful.

also, for those of you with more advanced battery chargers, make sure there isn't a MAX MAH IN limit set in the charger that would prevent it from fully charging the packs due to a max mah limit being hit before the battery is fully charged.

Also, charge time cutoff.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think you just responded your self what is the problem. You are not charging completly the batteries. A simple solution is to put another charge cycle on them. But it will not always work that way. You need to get a better charger for those lipos.

I'm not quite sure I understand why the charger would have a cap on the total mah it is allowed to put back in the battery. Obviously it will have limitations on how fast it can put it back in, but what's the point in capping the total amount transferred?

If you end up looking for a new charger - which if this cap issue is the case, you surely will be, I will out in a good word for the iCharger line (I have the 308 Duo). Plenty of bells and whistles without being overly complicated.

Bartman

it's a safety feature that stops the charger when it gets to a certain total MAH so it can't just keep charging a potentially defective battery. i'm using the i306B from iCharger and it's got it.

time cut-off is another that does essentially the same thing, it stops the charger after a period of time that you determine based on charge rates, battery capacity, etc.

fltundra

Timers, default was 6500mah.

Attachments

• 20140915_104155.jpg
    20140915_104155.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 203
  • 20140915_104213.jpg
    20140915_104213.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 189
  • 20140915_104221.jpg
    20140915_104221.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 184
Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Aha. Thankfully I haven't run into that issue with the icharger. Must have set it up correctly accidentally :)

i do recall the temp and timer safety features though. This charger has been pretty great from my perspective. No buyers remorse - and eventually I'll get I to more powerful power supply. But for now my system has worked just fine from 3S to 6S, and 450mah to 10000mah. Regardless of my confidence in the unit - I still keep a pretty close eye on it when charging.

fltundra

Aha. Thankfully I haven't run into that issue with the icharger. Must have set it up correctly accidentally :)

i do recall the temp and timer safety features though. This charger has been pretty great from my perspective. No buyers remorse - and eventually I'll get I to more powerful power supply. But for now my system has worked just fine from 3S to 6S, and 450mah to 10000mah. Regardless of my confidence in the unit - I still keep a pretty close eye on it when charging.
Picked up two of these dirt cheap!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-Dell-PowerEdge-2850-NPS-700AB-R1446-0R1446-700W-Server-Power-Supply-/181481979388?pt=US_Server_Power_Supplies&hash=item2a412b3dfc

[url]http://www.tjinguytech.com/my-projects/server-ps

[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator: