Gryphon 1000 hex build with ecalc data

Pumpkinguy

Hey folks. This will be the start of my 1000mm medium lifter.
Specs are as follows:
Gryphon 1000mm Hex frame.
SuperX FC with OSD
KDE 55A Esc's
Kde 4014-380 motors changed to 4215's
Either 2 x 6s 10000's or 16000's in parallel
It will carry a GH-4
First ecalc is based on 2 x 10000 batteries and 17 x 5.8 props
Second is based on 2 x 16000 batteries and 17 x 5.8 props
Third is based on 2 x 16000 batteries and 18 x 6.1 props.

I didn't know what to put for motor cooling so I used good.
As you can see in the last ecalc I am a bit over temp. If I change motor cooling from good to excellent, temps are great. If I change motor cooling to normal temps are high.

please let me know what you think.

Thanks

View attachment 21755 View attachment 21756 View attachment 21757 View attachment 21758

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    349.5 KB · Views: 528
  • Screenshot (10).png
    Screenshot (10).png
    302.7 KB · Views: 495
  • Screenshot (11).png
    Screenshot (11).png
    297.1 KB · Views: 547
  • Screenshot (12).png
    Screenshot (12).png
    294.1 KB · Views: 505
Last edited by a moderator:

Pumpkinguy

Here is the assembled frame. Lots of screws and lots of loctite. My wheeler fat wrench (torque screw driver, yellow thing on table) made it a breeze and I didn't strip any screws. I'm awaiting for 4 deliveries to proceed.
View attachment 21802

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 484

JDFelosi

your using 4014-380 motors and 55amp escs
i have scorpion 4010-360s and they only require 25amp escs? maybe my motors aren't strong enough for an 800+ hex? any thoughts?
sheet says that with a 15x5.5 prop i get 2700g of thrust, is that enough or should i think smaller like a 690 or so?

Pumpkinguy

Buddy. I'm new at this and probably not the guy to ask. Run the numbers in ecalc. My motor is bigger than yours. You can't just look at kv. I have a 14mm wide stator. You only have a 10mm. My motors are in theory 40% bigger. Cheers

SamaraMedia

My experience with ecalc is that the numbers are a "ball park" figure. Until you get out there and test in real life you won't know what you're actual performance will be.

ovdt

You should definetly go with 18" props with 4014XF-380 KV motors.

Ecalc results are quite close to the real life performance. For your setup, I would recommend you to consider your real hover throttle %10-15 more than the ecalc value. This is what I get with my KDE 4014XF motors.

Pumpkinguy

Ok. Thx. I was researching props last night. I was definitely gonna try the 18" first. Just no idea if I'm getting wood or cf and what brand yet.

Pumpkinguy

So many experienced and wicked smart guys on this forum yet nobody had commented on my ecalc data, component selection etc. I'm gonna have to start offering up cash. :)

Pumpkinguy

View attachment 21945 View attachment 21943 View attachment 21943 View attachment 21944
I received some very good advice from a guy I respect and trust and have decided to change my motors to kde4215. One size up from my previous selection. If they don't work out, I hold him 100% responsible. lol. On paper I should have just the right amount of thrust with 16" props and way more if I go to 17" or 18".
Here is a shot of how I've chosen to mount my esc's. They are suck solid with 3m dual lock, basically a very strong Velcro. This is a great place for them. Easy to inspect or replace and will have great air flow around them. To think I was gonna mount them inside the arms.
Waiting on about 6 orders to come in from various places. Did I mention I love hobby king?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 332
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 299
Last edited by a moderator:

Pumpkinguy

Im in a waiting game for parts. 7 orders outstanding. On all exposed wires I will be using a expanded plastic mesh to protect from chafing. A very low cost, low weight investment to prevent problems from rubbing on Carbon fiber or aluminum edges. View attachment 21975

Attachments

• IMG_6730.jpg
    IMG_6730.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 640

Pumpkinguy

These kde boxes represent almost the exact same height and width of the batteries I'm using so I'm using them for mockup. My FC will sit under that platform. The gps on top. The platform will be about 3/8" higher than the top of the batteries. I plan on sticking the gps directly to it. No stem. Do you guys see anything wrong with that? I'd like to keep it as compact as possible for a pelican box. Cheers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 439

Pumpkinguy

Btw, the lexan is to mount my electronics. It's hard to mount anything to a CF plate full of holes. I made a bent tab with the lexan on the end. Perfect place for the FC Led. Cheers.

Pumpkinguy

I have been bored as hell waiting for parts to come in. I am dying to get going on this thing. Just for fun I built a prototype FC vibration mount today using the softest bumpers that came with my zenmuse.
I used my iphone 5 and vibration app to test. The source of vibrations was my portable table saw.
Here is a pic of the mount. Then a screen shot of the vibrations with my iphone directly on the table saw and then sitting on the mount. The results surprised me. :)View attachment 22004View attachment 22005View attachment 22006

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 411
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 432
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 427

Pumpkinguy

I got my motor mounts back from the machine shop. Anyone who plans on using a gryphon frame with standard motor mounts. Please be advised the center hole is 11mm. So if you want to mount a larger motor like me, you have the choice of ordering special motor mounts at a cost of $100 per motor. Or you can do what I did. I had the center hole machined to 15mm, to accept 13mm collars on my kde motors. Please keep in mind, you are limited to a motor diameter of around 50mm.

The frame I have was a coax frame so I had a set of extra mounts that I'm using to increase rigidity. Totally unnecessary but only added 70 grams so I said "why not". View attachment 22060View attachment 22061View attachment 22062

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 409
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 534
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 687

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
It would be even neater if you turned each motor 180 degrees and had the wire running directly into the top aperture rather than the bottom.

Pumpkinguy

It would be even neater if you turned each motor 180 degrees and had the wire running directly into the top aperture rather than the bottom.

Can't. If you saw a pic from above you would understand. The wires come out 20 degrees or so off the bolt hole plain and the motors are too close to make the turn. Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 261

Pumpkinguy

View attachment 22138 Got all bullets done. I'm using castle creation bullets. 5.5mm on motor wires. 4mm from esc to motor and 6.5 for battery leads. Love the quality of them.
Just waiting for 2 orders from china and I can start testing and balancing motors.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 339