Group Build 2014, DJI NAZA/F450 Quadcopter!

coreyperez

It must be something in the air.. (or not wanting to be in the air).

I just finished my two builds, (no flights yet) and decided to put power to my “Honey Badger” with the KK2.1 in it. It started doing the “Fish out of water” deal. While messing with it a little trying to figure out which way it was flipping (it flipped different directions every time) it snapped a complete arm right off.

Observations:
I’m sure it’s one of the 1.2 million different settings between the FC and the TX, but when I would idle up, it would go, creep up (as I’m creeping it up) and get to the point where it was getting close to lifting off and then go APE S#IT and give me an introduction to aerobatics. NOT COOL KK! It was close to 60ish % (I was using a 5000mah battery when I should have been using a 2000mah, just didn’t have the connectors yet).

I called it a night at that point and turned off the lights, took a shower and went to bed. This morning I did a damage assessment and replaced the arm. (Came with a spare one and I ordered x2 more with the kit). One thing to note, the quad is NO WHERE NEAR as robust as I initially was lead to believe. Its 70ish deg in the building where I was trying to get it up and so it’s not because it was cold outside that it snapped so easily.

Other observations:
I thoroughly checked the rotation of the motors. No less than 3 times. (x-Quad) and even verified the information on the internet (because THAT is always correct). But, the short of it is, the trailing edge of #3 (one that broke) has a chip in the trailing edge of the prop, just one end. Like it bent back. Obviously wouldn’t think it would do that if rotating properly. BUT… I KNOW I checked it.

Well, I’m putting that one aside for right now, especially since I don’t have the correct battery strapped to it, and focusing on my F550 again. It’s basically ready, EXCEPT for a quick controller question: (controller config, finding conflicting information about (from top to bottom in the mixer (using a Turnigy 9XR, I’m sure it’s the same on all of them)) is it:

http://youtu.be/mydtSmBCN7A (1:51)
Throttle
Aileron
Elevator
Rudder

~OR~
http://youtu.be/fIFX1RmBca8 (6:52)
Aileron
Elevator
Throttle
Rudder

I’ve seen both (in YouTube videos) where they say “It works for me…” This is mode 2, as well.

Current progress.
I suppose the haste to get the Honey Badger and KK board up was a semi-blessing. It forced me to re-cage my processes with the expensive 550 Naza ship. I’ve worked out the power-loss (TX off) fail safe, learned quite a bit about the features (IOC) and ensured I’ve got all the other settings configured properly in the Naza. I just need to learn a little more about what all the additional settings are. I believe manufactures take GREAT pride in not giving buyers a single iota of information regarding their products.

OH!

One more question while I have your attention. (regarding the DJI Dance). When spinning around, is the person the point of “orbit” or is the multi-rotor the point of orbit? (Does that make sense?) In our Helicopter we call it “Orbiting around the mast” or “Orbiting around a point”. Either way, do we (as the person holding the MR) spin on our heel, or walk around in a tight circle keeping the MR stationary (in space) but obviously spinning it?

Thanks!

Corey

Last edited by a moderator:

Rupe

So just completed an anchored full power test of my F550. It seemed to be okay, but one odd thing was that the motors didn't respond to the throttle on the Tx at all until it reached about 55%. Is this normal?

I filmed the test - here's me holding the Tx in front of the camera while I throttle up (not as clear as I would have liked):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YLdUlCZxMbs#t=92

Also, not entirely sure what the Naza LEDs are telling me (red/green colour blindness is an arse).

Hopefully flying tomorrow. Why am I so nervous?

gringers

Preoccupied
So just completed an anchored full power test of my F550. It seemed to be okay, but one odd thing was that the motors didn't respond to the throttle on the Tx at all until it reached about 55%. Is this normal?

I filmed the test - here's me holding the Tx in front of the camera while I throttle up (not as clear as I would have liked):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YLdUlCZxMbs#t=92

Also, not entirely sure what the Naza LEDs are telling me (red/green colour blindness is an arse).

Hopefully flying tomorrow. Why am I so nervous?

Yes, normal for motors not to respond until over 50% (once airborne they do respond under 50). However based on the LED flashes (see below) you might want to check calibration of sticks again in assistant.

At the start of your video, the LED is flashing double green first followed by double red. The double green indicates you are in GPS mode but the sticks aren't centered. The double red flash indicates how many GPS satellites you have a lock on (at this point you only have a lock on 5).

By 18 seconds in, you can see the double green changes to single green indicating your sticks are now centered (this must be because you are increasing throttle as you approach 'take off' at 20 secs. Also by the 20s mark, the double red flash has turned to just a single red indicating you now have a lock on 6 satellites. By 1 minute, the flashing red has disappeared altogether meaning your GPS is now lcoked onto more than 6 satellites.

The double flash in respect of the position of your sticks is especially critical if you have have enabled 'receiver advanced protection' in the assitant software as evidenced by this thread. Be careful!!
http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...ON-DJI-NAZA-V2-GPS-Unexpected-Take-Off-Hazard

It's going to be hard if you're colourblind but really, it's critical to know what the LED flashes mean. Everything I said above can be found on page 12 of the naza manual but you need to familiarize yourself with what ALL the flashes mean (they tell you which flight mode you're in (e.g green for gps), what the IOC status is, whether your home point has been successfully recorded and so on). See page 24 of the manual.
http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/nazam-v2/en/NAZA-M_Quick_Start_Guide_v1.22_en.pdf

gringers

Preoccupied

http://youtu.be/mydtSmBCN7A (1:51)
Throttle
Aileron
Elevator
Rudder

~OR~
http://youtu.be/fIFX1RmBca8 (6:52)
Aileron
Elevator
Throttle
Rudder

I’ve seen both (in YouTube videos) where they say “It works for me…” This is mode 2, as well.

Corey

I think it depends on what Rx you use and how it's connected to the naza (SBUS, traditional etc). For me with SBUS, Frsky taranis and X8R, it's definitely the second option. Ultimately though, if you connect to the assistant and can't calibrate your sticks, it's probably because the channels on the tx are wrong!

Rupe

Thanks for the swift and detailed response.

I thought it would probably be something to do with the GPS signal as it was very close to the house and it was its first proper trip outside.

I'll check the sticks are centred again. One question though - does the throttle also have to be centred - on 50% - for the Naza to be happy they're in the right place?

I imagine the lights/colour blindness thing might become a problem. Does the DJI dongle thing that works with an iPhone app provide more detailed (and written) information on the Naza's status? That might be an easy solution.

Thanks again.

Rupert.

jbrumberg

Corey with your Tx/Rx it goes: Channel 1-AIL, Channel 2- ELE, Channel 3- THR, Channel 4- RUD, and Channel 5- Self Leveling.

coreyperez

Corey with your Tx/Rx it goes: Channel 1-AIL, Channel 2- ELE, Channel 3- THR, Channel 4- RUD, and Channel 5- Self Leveling.

"Self Leveling"? This is on the Naza. I've got the Assistant software saying everything is correct, I just wanted to ensure which option was more correct. My concern is both videos are using basically the exact same equipment, but different config's.

Sounds like its probably right. If it stops raining tomorrow I may give it a go!

Corey

Just on a side note I noticed lots of people are waiting for it to warm up so they can fly. I am waiting for it to cool down so I can get out. Forecast here today is 41 c (about 104 f) and tomorrow I is the same.
Regards
Crispy

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Just flew mine for the first time this afternoon but had to shovel off my deck to have a place to fly from! It flew well, had more than enough power for the two batteries and stuff and delivered a nice first flight to its proud owner!

Bart

jbrumberg

Just flew mine for the first time this afternoon but had to shovel off my deck to have a place to fly from! It flew well, had more than enough power for the two batteries and stuff and delivered a nice first flight to its proud owner!

Bart

Positive Outcome. Good stuff. It feels really good when it all comes together. :)

Rupe

Woo! Had my first flight today (of my F550) and it didn't crash or disappear into the distance. I even felt confident enough to strap on a GoPro after a bit of flying around. Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3xmxGGIUUY

One question. The LED was doing a double green flash while it was in flight (in GPS mode). I've looked in the Naza manual and can't find an explanation (I even connected it to the Assistant to check if it was happy). I'm hoping it's the Naza's way of saying "everything's working as it should, carry on, good fellow." Am I right, or do I have something to investigate further?

Rupert.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Woo! Had my first flight today (of my F550) and it didn't crash or disappear into the distance. I even felt confident enough to strap on a GoPro after a bit of flying around. Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3xmxGGIUUY

One question. The LED was doing a double green flash while it was in flight (in GPS mode). I've looked in the Naza manual and can't find an explanation (I even connected it to the Assistant to check if it was happy). I'm hoping it's the Naza's way of saying "everything's working as it should, carry on, good fellow." Am I right, or do I have something to investigate further?

Rupert.

double green in GPS mode means your sticks are not centered. go to the NAZA Assistant and under the Basic tab click on RC. With the heli and radio powered the sliders for rudder, elevator, and aileron should be centered. If they aren't you can try doing the calibration sequence again. If you do the calibration sequence and find that these three controls are still not centered, go into the radio menus and use the Sub-trim option to center the indicators (using the NAZA Assistant as your indicator). After you've got them centered, redo the calibration sequence. If you have any troubles, come back and ask for help but don't fly it again like this as it can trigger a failsafe response on the ground if you've also got the Receiver Advanced Protection Function activated.

Glad the flights went well, just need to get this detail straightened out. Congrats!

Bart

Rupe

Thanks Bart. I'll do the calibrating again. The slightly odd thing is that I had two flights with different batteries (identical in specs) and I didn't have the warning lights with the first one.

Irisaerial legs don't give enough vertical clearance for my gopro hanging from my isolation plates. The paint is off the shelf fluorescent. Start with a very thin initial coat. No printer needed.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk