Group Build 2014, DJI NAZA/F450 Quadcopter!

coreyperez

In HONOR of my 100th post...

7 Minutes you won't get back... (http://youtu.be/Gyt2EQGsAIk) embedding isn't working with my Java/forum issue I believe.

You have been warned! I figured I'd go for broke. Probably a lot more wind than I should have done my initial flight (especially with a camera on board!).

Corey

SUCCESS!

Rupe

In HONOR of my 100th post...

7 Minutes you won't get back... (http://youtu.be/Gyt2EQGsAIk) embedding isn't working with my Java/forum issue I believe.

You have been warned! I figured I'd go for broke. Probably a lot more wind than I should have done my initial flight (especially with a camera on board!).

Corey

SUCCESS!

Top work!

I really felt like I should keep it low and near me on my first flight yesterday - why was it so scary?! Which mode were you flying in? I stuck to GPS. My flight was also pretty windy - you can see the F550 tipping into the wind to try and hold position in my vid. What was the spec of your battery and voltage after the flight?

Rupert.

coreyperez

Top work!

I really felt like I should keep it low and near me on my first flight yesterday - why was it so scary?! Which mode were you flying in? I stuck to GPS. My flight was also pretty windy - you can see the F550 tipping into the wind to try and hold position in my vid. What was the spec of your battery and voltage after the flight?

Rupert.

I mostly flew in GPS. One time I flipped it into manual (have a lady bird and wanted to see how it compared). It fell right out of the sky. Plus, it was REALLY windy, so I opted to play it safe.

I'm using Turnigy Nano-tec 5000 mAh, 45-90C. Total residual voltage was: 11.4. Individual cells: 3.82, 3.83, 3.81. Also to note, this battery wasn't 100% as it was the battery I was using for testing/setup. 7min of flight time in strong winds, I'd say it wasn't too bad! I stopped when I did because I noticed the LED went all amber. Figured I'd call it a day at that point.

Corey

TBaldus

Congratulations to everybody for their successful flights. I ordered my F550 ARF yesterday and can't wait to get building it. I hope I will be as successful as you guys.

Thor

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
..............here's a little teaser about a mod at the end of the build.....we're going to make the heli into a two man rig with a three axis camera capability.......yes, with an F450! so you'll be able to take it to the park, hand the camera duties over to your kid, your friend, your coaching buddy and they'll be able to direct the camera action while you fly. All for about $15 and about 4 or 5 ounces of added weight (maybe not even that much).

Stay tuned, we're moving right along.

Bart

For what it's worth, I haven't forgotten about this pledge I made. In doing this build I started with an F450 and NAZA V1 that I bought from a friend of mine. After disassembling it and getting started with the build I decided to mount a DJI H3-2D brushless GoPro gimbal to it but soon found out I'd need an adapter and a couple of updated components for the NAZA. Too late, so I committed the gimbal to a new quad and just happened to pick up a NAZA V2 from Aerial Media Pros with which to do a product review so now I've got the two quads (both flying) one with a simple non-recording FPV camera and the other with the GoPro gimbal.

With the short story having become long, I'll share the Pan axis mod with you next week after I've had a chance to fly it on the new heli. If it works you're going to be stoked as it will be a very useful mod for a large number of flyers!

Bart

coreyperez

Haha, thanks J!

(The Naza really takes the "sport" out of the flying side). Now... On to that KK2.1 problem... (I just got my battery connectors yesterday)

Bart... Hurry it up already! I've got my FPV stuff ordered and I think the 550 is solid enough, after a few more flights I"ll mount my landing gear and cameras on it.

Corey

Anyone know where I can pick up some of the metal wire mesh covering that they use in the aerial media pros build?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pleiades

Ive heard that 10 inch props are compatible with 3s batteries and 8 inch with 4s
Whats the logic there?

Its just that I tried a 4s battery with 10 inch props on my new 450 build, and it flipped over and crashed on two occasions.

Ive heard that 10 inch props are compatible with 3s batteries and 8 inch with 4s
Whats the logic there?

Its just that I tried a 4s battery with 10 inch props on my new 450 build, and it flipped over and crashed on two occasions.
It will do that if you don't have the CW and CCW props in the correct Configuration. If using NAZA, go into Assistant and make sure you selected the correct layout, then with peeps off do the motor test to be sure rotation direction is correct, then make sure the pros go on correctly. Had nothing to do with prop size.

Build has started!!! About to tackle the esc connections. I have a big fancy soldering iron. At what temp do I want to do those solder connections?

Bartman

Build has started!!! About to tackle the esc connections. I have a big fancy soldering iron. At what temp do I want to do those solder connections?

for the esc connections use about 750 deg F and once the solder is all melted and shiny, you're done. if it get clumpy or sticks to the soldering iron either stop and rub a little flux on or just add a little more solder to the puddle, give it a second, then you're done.

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
It FLYS!
It takes video. It even transmits video to a 7" Boscam.
Now if I can just figure out how to make the GoPro boot to narrow field of view instead of wide...

I know how much time I spent pouring over your pictures to answer my questions and come up with ideas. So here's what I have to share:

View attachment 16098View attachment 16099
I put my Gimbal/GoPro, GCU, and Video Tx all on the landing gear. This way I can disconnect 2 plugs (Battery harness and GCU to PMU cable) an lift off the 550 for practice flying.

View attachment 16097View attachment 16096View attachment 16095
Using Aluminum instead of Carbon Fiber for the bracket cost me one ounce. 3.8oz vs. 2.8. But I trust my holes in aluminum, and I got to use pop rivets that I already owned. I spread the legs and put the bracket underneath to get the 550 down inside.
I located the TX, the GPS, the GoPro, and the two RX antennas as far apart as I could. Hence the jib sticking out the back for the Video Tx.

View attachment 16094View attachment 16093View attachment 16092View attachment 16090View attachment 16089

Total weight = 4lbs 13.6 oz.

Bart: YOU did this!

Attachments

• xDSC_4975.jpg
    xDSC_4975.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 352
  • DSC_4976.jpg
    DSC_4976.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 434
  • DSC_4975.jpg
    DSC_4975.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 322
  • DSC_4972.jpg
    DSC_4972.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 813
  • DSC_4970.jpg
    DSC_4970.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 575
  • DSC_4968.jpg
    DSC_4968.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 368
  • DSC_4962.jpg
    DSC_4962.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 411
  • DSC_4961.jpg
    DSC_4961.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 486
  • DSC_4958.jpg
    DSC_4958.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 616
  • aDSC_4973.jpg
    aDSC_4973.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 509
  • DSC_4957.jpg
    DSC_4957.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 467

Bartman

Hi JoeBob,

Thanks for the nod but YOU did it! Glad to hear it flies and everything is working.

Two things though, with the camera mount offset does it still balance down the center (along the roll axis)?

THe second set of wires coming off of the Deans plug, are they going to the power dist pads in the lower frame plate? edit....nevermind, I just saw that you have two wires coming off of the frame plate and one set is the larger size for power to the motors.

Looks great and thanks for posting the pics!

Bart

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
with the camera mount offset does it still balance down the center (along the roll axis)?

Doesn't everyone roll their hexacopter on a beer bottle to establish COG?
(Okay, I had to use a vacuum cleaner wand for the long axis. Not as much fun.)
The GoPro and the Tx are both offset 1 inch to starboard; but the battery weighs so much more, that .5 inch offset to port evens it out.
Balancing bow to stern was a much smaller input to the rear that I had anticipated. I originally had planned to have the battery strapped back on the bracket above the Tx.

THe second set of wires coming off of the Deans plug, are they going to the power dist pads in the lower frame plate? edit....nevermind, I just saw that you have two wires coming off of the frame plate and one set is the larger size for power to the motors.

Right. I borrowed that idea from your soldering video. One 12 gauge set of wires from DJI and one set of 10 gauge wire as recommended by Bart. And the liquid electrical tape saved my tush on that one, because those were some ugly looking bumps of solder.
Heads up: If you have two male battery connectors on the plate, and are running one battery and not using the other connection as a power port; you need to cap the free connector. Once you hook up a battery, the free connector becomes a charged male end looking to bite you.

In the back of my mind I'm considering using two batteries for longer flights without the landing gear and camera. But I need the blessings of someone more knowledgeable than myself:
If I plug 2 3S 5200mah batteries into the frame plate at the same time, do I get 6S 10,400mah? Or do I get a small explosion without confetti?
Does the FC need to be re-programmed? For 6S or for confetti?

JoeBob;146619 Heads up: If you have two male battery connectors on the plate said:
You are using Deans plugs then it would not hurt to put a dummy plug on there to stop in inadvertently shorting the connections
If you add batteries in parallel (+ to + -to -) then you get a theoretical adding of capacities so 2X 3s 4000mah = 3s 8000mah.
Regards
Crispy

In the DJI demo video (on first page of this thread). They show soldering power lines for a "Versatile Unit) or (VU) to the pads on the bottom board as well. I'm embarrased to admit it, but I'm not sure what this is. I have a naza2 gps as well as a TX and receiver, but I don't have this. What is it?