Group Build 2014, DJI NAZA/F450 Quadcopter!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
It was suggested that I look at buying the Futaba 8J radio. Does anyone have a better suggestion or thought on this?

jake,

is this for fun or do you have some long term plan that is more serious? if you go with the t8j i have a brand new one that i'm not going to be using, you can save a few bucks if you buy it from me. :)

Is there a difference in the T8J and 8J or is that thesame? I plan on basic flying, and if Ido well enough I would love to move into FPV but even then I would not extendmy flying distance too much.

Zeke

I wish I was back in the states for this! I already have a F450, but I'm wanting to turn it into a disco or buy myself a brand new one and giving the other one to the future wife. Would you be interested in doing a TBS Disco group build in the future? The current troubles I have with my F450 make me wish I had something a little.... nicer.

Problems such as:
Too tall for being as nimble as I want.
Props in my view.
Would like to upgrade the motors.
Sleek and B.A. factor
7 Channel radio doesn't enable RTH when it loses signal. Instead it just hovers where it loses signal (or what I'm fearing is it won't just hover but will fly away).

Bartman

I wish I was back in the states for this! I already have a F450, but I'm wanting to turn it into a disco or buy myself a brand new one and giving the other one to the future wife. Would you be interested in doing a TBS Disco group build in the future? The current troubles I have with my F450 make me wish I had something a little.... nicer.

Problems such as:
Too tall for being as nimble as I want.
Props in my view.
Would like to upgrade the motors.
Sleek and B.A. factor
7 Channel radio doesn't enable RTH when it loses signal. Instead it just hovers where it loses signal (or what I'm fearing is it won't just hover but will fly away).

I'm tempted to say I can break down the f450 when it's done to do a Discovery build....tempted....

I'm trying to get another video done today and then again by Sunday

Bartman

guys, don't pull the trigger on anything just yet.......we're trying to get someone interested in giving us a group discount, probably via a discount code so you can go to one place and buy a bunch of stuff.

i've asked around, as has MD2020 and i think we'll maybe be able to report progress sometime tomorrow.

Bartman

I don't mind waiting if it could save me a few dollars!! please let us know when you hear. Thanks

no problem, thanks to MD2020 for initiating the effort, i was going to leave it to the interweb for everyone to go shopping but maybe we can get a good deal on the stuff we're using by shopping as a group

Mojave

Thanks MD2020 and Bartman - I've got my Weller WESD51 on the way - looking forward to the next steps.

akhero

Ok, I am not much of a saver so i went ahead and bought a Tarot ironman 650 quad, 30A Esc SkimonK flashed, some bullet connectors and some xt60.

Bartman

Next video in the process.....tools! It's uploading and should be ready in about 80 minutes. It's not meant to be a definitive list but more of a push in the right direction.

for those of you that have done some building already, feel free to chime in with other tools that you've found to be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

I tried also to ask a company about any group discount and was told unless it was bought as a combined order they could not do it? even if they would have knocked of 10% it would be a help. Some where I read and it might have even been referencing last year that Atlanta hobby was offering some thanksgiving discount of 10% but when I was on their site I did not see a place to enter anything? Also thanks for the new video, it must be still uploading as it said not available yet. I will check back later.

Bartman

youtube is saying 40 more minutes to upload.

i've thought about this and i'm going to pass on trying any further to arrange a group purchase. i'm pretty swamped as it is so trying to take orders, collect money, keep tracks of fees and addresses, etc. would be a problem at the moment. if anyone wants to continue trying to find someone that can do a discount by all means have at it.

the one site advertiser that i reached out to hasn't responded, not very encouraging.

sorry about that folks.

All each of us can do is talk with the companies they have purchased from in the past. And if all else fails there are still some good prices if we stay with the items you suggested?

Very nice video. May seem basic to some, but I remember many many years ago was how to solder! we had to make wire boxes and what seemed stupid back then sure improved most everyone's ability to make a secure and well soldered joint. So great job and I can not wait to move on. I do have one question that maybe you can clarify. And that is each time I asked about the combo and the Naza M Lite they all told me I would be very limited and should think about using a different one, but all the rest seemed so much more in cost?

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Very nice video. May seem basic to some, but I remember many many years ago was how to solder! we had to make wire boxes and what seemed stupid back then sure improved most everyone's ability to make a secure and well soldered joint. So great job and I can not wait to move on. I do have one question that maybe you can clarify. And that is each time I asked about the combo and the Naza M Lite they all told me I would be very limited and should think about using a different one, but all the rest seemed so much more in cost?

Really the Naza Lite flies quite well, I mounted one from my 330 onto the new 450 build, basic settings and it flies quite fine. I have mine with no GPS so just for LOS flying really but to be honest it will be just as good for "local" FPV.

I suspect many don't use the full potential of their V1 or V2 anyway.

Cheers

Pete

Bartman

If you're buying your own ESC's outside of the F450/550 ARF kits, I'd suggest you purchase at least 30 amp ESC's so they will be useful in the future with larger motors. You could get away with 25 amp ESC's but the ARF kits provide 30 amp ESC's which is a good size for the motors we're using as well as what you might move on to with a second build later on.

Last edited by a moderator: