Group Build 2014, DJI NAZA/F450 Quadcopter!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hey there, Bartman... are we ready to order some additional components? Ordered the flamewheel 450 ($32) and should be here in a day or 2. Tks, Bill

Bill,

Look for a video posted here in the next couple of days. I'll go over everything and we'll get moving. Thanks for joining us.

Bart

akhero

Hi All!

I'd like to participate in this build, I am new to UAV's. When are we going to start on the build? I'd prefer a Hexacopter, DJI F550 looks decent i also like the
[h=1]Turnigy Talon Hexcopter (V1.0) Carbon Fiber Frame[/h]

Bartman

Hi All!

I'd like to participate in this build, I am new to UAV's. When are we going to start on the build? I'd prefer a Hexacopter, DJI F550 looks decent i also like the
Turnigy Talon Hexcopter (V1.0) Carbon Fiber Frame

Hi guys,

been fighting a bad cold all week, not much was getting done but back at it now.

let's all see who's up for this and who isn't. before anyone does anything you're going to need some basic tools, a soldering iron, soldering materials, some simple clamps, and a place to work. Also, a computer that runs some version of windows is a necessity.

So, let's get organized, who's in? The video I mentioned a few posts ago is still going to happen, it's just tough to do it with my nose running down my face and constant coughing.

Bartman

Bartman

the first video will go over some of this stuff, the second will discuss tools, materials, etc.

The first video is uploading and should be ready in about 90 minutes. The video quality is horrible, something wasn't set right (I'm pretty sure it was White Balance) this morning but it was my fourth take so I wasn't going to do it again, sorry!

Let's get the second video up (tools) and running and then we'll talk about lists of stuff to buy and you guys can find the best deals on everything and post them here.

If you're going to use the DJI NAZA system, go to the NAZA forum and read this thread as it will be the basis for the third video (getting started using the user manual). I'm also going to add to that thread as we move this build along.

THE KEY TO SUCCESS HERE WILL BE TO ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS.

edit; while we're doing this I"m going to explain any acronyms used in the videos. let me know if I missed any

ARF, Almost Ready to Fly, has the parts and most assembly done so you can get flying in the minimum amount of time
ESC, Electronic Speed Controllers, also called motor controllers, these are digital devices that monitor and control the speed of the motors, brushless motors can't be made to turn without being hooked up to an ESC.
PDB, Power Distribution Board, a printed circuit board that is used to receive power from the battery or batteries and then distribute it to each of the motor controllers, can also deliver power to accessories depending on how many spots there are to attach wires.
FC, flight control or flight controller, sometimes short for flight control system, the electronic components that make it possible to fly the helicopter
FPV, First Person View, using a camera mounted with a forward view and equipment that allows you on the ground to monitor the picture from the camera so you can fly the helicopter by reference to the camera picture as if you're sitting in the helicopter flying along with it

A note on brushless motors, you might be asking what's a brushless motor and how is it different from other kinds of electric motors? Brushless motors don't have............wait for it............brushes. Old style (aka can motors) motors had brushes that transferred electricity into the inner part of the motor (armature) and the gaps between the contact points allowed electricity to cycle on and off causing the motor to spin. Brushless motors use an ESC (see acronyms above) to control the power going to the motor in order to control the rotation/speed of the motor. With old style brushed motors you could just connect a power source and the motor would spin, not so with a brushless motor though. Brushless motors won't work at all without a digital speed controller to cycle the power on and off from the different sets of windings. ESC's have a maximum amperage rating for a set voltage so the ESC's have to be selected to be compatible with the motors you're going to use. THe NAZA F450 and F550 ARF kits both come with motors/ESC"s that will work together.

disclaimer, this isn't an advertisement for DJI, they aren't supporting this project in any way, they probably don't even know we're using the F450 for the build since they don't really hang around here very much except to post announcements (don't tell them I said that). just an FYI from your friendly neighborhood Admin.

Regards,
Bart

Last edited by a moderator:

tstrike

pendejo grande
That was AWSOME Bart! I've built six different copters now and I'm still gonna follow this thread. LOL@8:45, two words- Ginkgo Biloba...
Well done sir, well done.

Bartman

thanks guys, i appreciate knowing that at least two people watched that whole video! :)

i've added to it and will develop the format more as we go but i think explaining acronyms with each video post will be helpful.

Bart

Dezy

Bart - thank you for doing this!
Looking forward to building and flying this bird. What FUN!!!!

Pleiades

Hi Guys....I got into this hobby a few weeks ago with a Phantom and am loving it!
Saw this thread and am keen to give it a go.

Can I use the Phantom transmitter and batteries?

I just came here today, but I will follow what you suggest as long as I can get something built that I can learn on. Are you going to give places to order the parts or are we on our own with that? would be great to get exactly what you are building with.