Graupner E-Prop

Totality

Having fitted the 10" props I can see what is meant about the props only just fitting. The DJI nut that comes with the motor only screws down enough to sit on the raised lettering.

People say to put the nut on top of the propellor but I don't see how this can help as it sits almost completely flush with the 8mm so I assume people use 6mm washers instead when putting them on top of the props instead of the 8mm ones under them?

Warlock

I just installed 10"x5 Graupners last night, replacing my DJI 10" props which work very well, and show no sign at all of cracking around the base. But these are new ones that Robert @ DJIUSA told me were beefed up around the boss at the bottom, thicker by a good bit. I wanted to try the graupners for all the talk about them, figured they must be something special. They normally dont need balancing I have heard, but bolting them on DJI motors with out a proper washer and under the prop, is just not wise. "mine are nylon" I would not think of trying the graupners with out them. Of course the graupners dont have the little flat sides to match the DJI motors, the Graupners are just round, but fit so well and snugly that it does not matter. What did matter big time on my F-550 was the fact the nut would bottom out solidly on the motor with out hardley holding the props at all.

I did try it once, but it wanted to lean over due to the fact that one of the motors was running fine but the prop was not tight at all even though the nut was. I could spin the prop with my finger "carefully" holding the motor with my other hand and like I said, the bolt was as tight as normality allows. I had the washers that were for a fiberglass set of rotors for my Xaircraft X650-V-8, and they too are intended to be placed under the props. Balance is not an issue as long as your using the right washers. If you try the washers on top under the nut, the nut its self will chew into it over time if your keeping up with tightening the props once and a while.

Now with the washers, you get that great feeling of solid but gradual tightness, and thats a good thing.

After all of the reading I've done on the failures of DJI props i'm finally switching...I may have experienced it myself the other day but luckily I was landing and may have been 3 feet off the ground...

Kloner, Are you flying mainly atti in this vid? And are you using the suppo motors in this also?

raw stock flamewheel with naza 8" 4s or 10" 3s, add fpv gear, gopro, needs 9" 4s, 10" 3s,,,,,, add a second battery getting up to 2.5kg your needing 9" starts slacking and needs 10", but sooner or later the stock motors run out of oomph to do it. the 2212 that come in the arf are lik 120-150 watt motors. i run 250 and 350 watt motors, 2810-2814 that can do it. it'll swing the 10" but it's too aerobatic feeling at this weight still. needs another 200-300 grams and it'd have to run the 10's. i've seem 700 watts for all four motors on 10's in manual mode.....

this is 2420gram on 9" with 4s 6000 mah 1000kv motors, it used 4000 in this flight.
if i remember right it hovers/holds altitude in the high 200 low 300 watts, full throttle like the climb upstairs there was like 500 watts. i run the 9's to get mileage, but the 10's fly

Last edited by a moderator:

wsj1983

What about the graupner's central hole being all rounded? With out the grip of the dji ones.
Isn't a issue?
(a picture a took to show what I mean)
View attachment 11772

It doesn't make graupners turn blind easily?
Do you guys use some kind of glue on the prop to help?

(sorry for my bad english)

Attachments

• 2013-05-14 21.24.58.jpg
    2013-05-14 21.24.58.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 331

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I dont use them on DJI motors but I never use glue.. Just tighten them up correctly, you do have a plate washer under the spinner I take it?

dave

wsj1983

Actually i'm not even flying yet. I'm just concerned about the best way to use these props on dji motors. (making some home test here only using my hand I thought the graupners was easier to turn around blind)

But I belive it is better to use a washer between prop and nut, so I don't risk to unbalance the all thing. Am I wrong?

Will

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
I just put the Graupners on with the stock DJI nut and tighten it so it is firm. No washers here. Works fine but I only have about an hour on them so far.

kloner

Aerial DP
that key makes it a nightmare to deal with balancers. regular round prop holes work fine but it takes washers to do it with a dji motor.... i think it's a 6mm washer for each motor. no glue, just tighten and fly

pangloss

I wanted to weigh in on this thread as I purchased Graupners after reading it.

I would like to say: Graupners are not amazing props. The e-prop blade design is made for horizontally flying aircraft. My stock DJI could pull out of a low thrust fall with a light gimbal + gopro + landing gear, the graupners couldn't.

They did come balanced, but I bought a 10eur balancer and balanced my DJI.

The graupners are very brittle, I went through three just when friends flipped on takeoff in the grass. I replaced the Graupners with a carbon fiber knockoff of the same blade design, but now I am searching for something like the stock props, but carbon. The stock props have significantly more lift per rotation, I am not fully understanding why so many people like Graupner.

I am thinking about getting these slowfly CF props on hobbyking:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Propellers_1pc_Standard_1pc_RH_Rotation.html

When people complain about crap DJI stock props are they talking about these? This is what came with my f450:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTZs_mDXW4k

Last edited by a moderator: