GoPro HD vs GoPro 2

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Now I have built a very stable and quick to deploy WMK based quad I would like to know what the differenced are between the GoProHD and the GoPro2.. especially the picture mode..

Please post links or experiences in here

Ta

Dave

Kilby

I'm curious of the same. I do know that the colors are supposed to be more vibrant and the low light shots are a little better. Obviously, the MP has more than doubled from 5 to 11, and the FOV is now @ 127, I'm not sure what it used to be though. Any idea?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Sorry but I have to add, GoPro products are available by clicking the link at the bottom of the page. Making a purchase via the links generates a commission for the site. Thanks!
Bart

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Anybody post links to good comparisons between the two.. I am interested in the stills capability of the new 2 for my super light 450 quad of doing quick surveys

Dave

Macsgrafs

Nice find Dave, I was wondering on the differences & your link shows them quite nicely.

Bart, whats the score with us guys in Europe using the link at the bottom of the page?

Ross

Bowley

Your correct, its 170 or 127 in 1080 setting. If, by original you mean the last gopro before the GP2, I think the actual original one was 960, my brother had one. Dont know what the FOV for it is.

Bowley

Sorry Kilby, I realize you're talking about FOV for stills. I dont know what the is stated figure, but my stills look as fisheye'd as my lower res video, I would confidently guess 170deg.

Bowley

Its for stills you mean isnt it? never seen it stated but I would guess 170deg. I reckon the 127 deg option @ 11MP on the GP2 would mean it could probably be used for AP.
I like the 10 shot burst feature, good for action sports.

Kilby

That's what I thought as well, but I just wanted to hear someone else say it. ;-)

So, anyone have any pics to compare? I was actually on the market for a new camera when these came out, so perfect timing. I wanted to replace the GoPro Hero because the resolution was just to low (stills), but this might make me consider the GP2.

rwilabee

Any more updates on testing with the GoProHD vs the GoPro2

Rich

Now I have built a very stable and quick to deploy WMK based quad I would like to know what the differenced are between the GoProHD and the GoPro2.. especially the picture mode..

Please post links or experiences in here

Ta

Dave

Kilby

So after a couple of weekends of comparison, I'm liking the GP2. There are a few things I didn't expect, but over all I'm happy with the photos that I can take. That's what I use it for most, so for me it works.

The thing I did not realize till after purchase is how the FOV set ups work. It will shoot @ 11mp, 8mp & the original 5mp. You can also change the FOV settings from 170 to 127 in photo settings. The problem is that it changes the FOV with a digital zoom, so some of the fisheye is still there. Mostly horizontal material at the top and bottom of the frame. The vertical content on the left and right doesn't seem to fisheye as much with the digital zoom @ 127. The kicker though is that you can only do 11mp with the full 170 FOV (due to digital zoom). If you want the 127 FOV then it bumps you down to 8mp automatically.

I was still pretty happy with the 8mp outcome. The images seemed more crisp with a better color, and much better in lower light now (but still not great).

The 120fps wvga video is pretty cool as well. If you only plan to produce a video for the web, this is a great option to do some cool super slow mo effects.

The one thing I didn't like was the 90 FOV setting for video. It's way to much digital zoom to go from 170 to 90.. the video comes out almost pixelated looking.

I took these with 127 FOV, 8mp settings.

View attachment 2054View attachment 2053

Attachments

• RavensStadium01.jpeg
    RavensStadium01.jpeg
    347.7 KB · Views: 327
  • InnerHarbor01.jpeg
    InnerHarbor01.jpeg
    282.7 KB · Views: 312

The one thing I didn't like was the 90 FOV setting for video. It's way to much digital zoom to go from 170 to 90.. the video comes out almost pixelated looking.

Yup, this feature is why I got one and it's the biggest let down.

Is anyone using a sunnex/ragecam mod on a go pro 2 yet? Be interesting to see the colour enhancements throug a non fisheye lens.