Gopro and Jello

Bowley

Out of interest I am wondering how people are getting on with GP/GP2 with regard to vibration.
Are all CMOS cameras as sensitive to vibes or is the Gopro just a particular SOB when it comes to rolling shutter effect.
I have perfectly balanced APC props, and am using align vibration absorbing gel to mount the Camera foot. there seems to be hardly any vibration when I touch the camera while hovering. strange thing is sometimes theres jello and sometimes not, ie I had no jello after balancing my props a few days ago, and now there is jello even though nothing has changed:dejection:!
Looks like I have a busy afternoon ahead of me! getting to the root of this issue.

kloner

Aerial DP
You need to make a bed of ear plugs or bite the bullet and get the silicone pad, both do very well with the jello, ones $3, other is $100

http://vibrationmounts.com/Store.asp?Page=Products8.htm

green pad for 900-1000kv motors, yellow for the 700-800kv

012%20%281024x768%29_795.jpg

795x596x023,P20,P281024x768,P29_795.jpg.pagespeed.ic.r6mdn5mcZg.jpg

Tahoe Ed

I just placed an order. It looks like I will only need half a sheet. Anybody want to come in on this with me. $42.50 plus $6.00 for USPS priority mail.

Bowley

Cheers Kloner, do you think its a tall order to eliminate vibration enough for the GP2 to handle and best to work on isolation?
I think better quality motors might help me out, I've only used rather cheap ones and XA motors thus far.
Not really sure sure why I'm worried about it, should just be using my Naza 450 for FPV.

kloner

Aerial DP
I run suppo motors on fpv frames with those two types of vibration isolation and get this

foam plugs

that vibration silicon pad thing

both are 1080p,,,,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:

BIGTACO

Ok my theory on camera "jelly" reduction is a bit different than some people. I believe in getting as close to completely removing the actual cause of vibration instead of just trying to cover it up using vibration isolution or negation methods. On my F550 Hex I have zero vibration isolation bits and I have no perceivable jelly in my footage.

1) "Statically" balance your props as well as you can. Spend as much time as needed to get them perfect.
2) "Statically" Balance your outrunner motor bell till its perfect. Or buy high end motors such as Avroto brand. These come damn near perfectly balanced due to their excellent manufacturing and QA/QC procedures.
3) "Dynamically" balance the motors and props together as a rotating assembly. Yes, thats right. Even if you place a balanced prop on a balanced motor it can still vibrate. Spin each prop up through its entire RPM range while placing your hand on the crafts fuselage arm. If you feel the slightest bit of vibration use a marker to mark the prop's current orientation, loosen the prop nut and clock the prop 15-20 degrees or so. Tighten the nut down and spin it up again. Do this procedure until you find the prop orientation that produces ZERO vibration. Some people say you need lazers and unobtainium or whatever to check for vibration but I say use your hand. The human hand and brain is an amazing tool. You will be surprised at the small amount of vibration that can be detected! Keep in mind this part can be dangerous so do each motor/prop test with the other motor ESC's disconnected and make sure the craft is tied down. And also watch out to not cut your hand wide open. Good luck :)

DennyR

I think you can also improve it by using a 4X neutral density filter as the GoPro uses an electronic shutter to adjust exposure.

kloner

Aerial DP
I'll add i don't balance motors, for that matter quit balancing props but i never fix a motor, if it crashes or something acts strange i replace em,,,,,, there $26 to my door. the props are all graupner as well as the prop adapters. when you make a movie and can hear all four props changing rpm, your really close,,,,,, but that still doesn't get you 1080p especially more than hovering consistently. in those flicks, i'
m purposly grabbing altitude and dumping altitude sometimes straight up and down to make it want to get out of shape. FFF really makes jello come alive when you think you got everything as good as you could, then add these fixes i show above and your jello free. the ear plug things the way to go

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
So, which are you recommending? The ear plug or the silicone mat thing? They both look good to me.

Bowley

I just switched to Torxpower (Tiger) motors which eliminated about 70% of my vibration and took care of the remaining by doubling up on the align anti vibration gel for mounting, now jello free again....for now.

kloner

Aerial DP
the silicone mat is better if your doing professional shoots, it'll be there no matter what. the ear plugs are going to have to die over time. not sure when, but i'll keep ya informed.

I too try keeping my rig vibe free, but the mat/earplugs definately give a guy an edge with the footage you bring home. In FPV it ranges from hovering to 45mph, from 2 feet on the deck to falling from a thousand. it's such a wide band of different vibrations these help make up for the slack. The guy i got the ear plug gig from was flying unbalanced apc props and had zero jello