GH3 announced .... at a price ????

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Bibills, I will show you guys once I really see that it makes sense. Just talking to a 3d Printer guy who will make me a prototype of the adapters I made.

At the moment it looks like two little parts are enough to extend one part (front sensor bar) of the Z15 and a little adapter shoe to fixate the CAM.

Lucikly no parts are needed to rebalance the GH3 but certain areas are quite tight.

If everything works out with the 3D program thus file i just sent the guy it would be finished by friday. Little different approach preparing files for a 3D printer etc.

uh the guy is fast, just got the okay.

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Boris,
First thank you for all tests that you made for us and of course for yourself.

Could you tell me (us) in short what mode (fps, resolution) you can get from GH3 out with HDMI attach. Is there some limitation compare to GH2?
Can you view both mode (wifi & HDMI) on screen (wifi phone & HDMI monitor) at the same time. Use wifi (for video settings) and HDMI for recording.

Thanks.

Vojec

Hi Vojec,

At the moment WIfi and Hdmi out at the same time don't seem to work ! I will check again tonite and hit you with the rest of the infos you wanted.

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
looking good to far have a solid lock of the camera in the zenmuse frame ! Receiving changed part again tomorrow. But it looks like gonna fly it on sunday.

View attachment 8247

Only going to fixate it on the top:

Hope it won't be a problem some handles also just attach on the hot shoe: 1:40

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 327
Last edited by a moderator:

hexa

Looking great.
From the demo footage I have seen and the cam specs seems the gh3 paired with the z15 is going to be the ultimate tool for 2013.

Is there enough room for camera trigger plug to be plugged in ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
The original doesn't fit. One has to cut the old one and solder on a new plug without casing. Even shorten the naked plug on the back side were you would solder the single wires. Just keep the GND and first signal the rest clip of. I than hot glued around the solder and covered it with liquid tape.

The remote port on the gh3 is on the otherside of the camera compared to the gh2. So the cable has to shortened all together.

Boris

GH3 is gonna be a great camera. But when you only make aerial photo, you don't need it. For aerial video it depends what's the goal of the shot. When you want to make video for use on the web, just take the "cheap" GH2 (recommended with hack) and shoot video in 720p 50f. Do you want to make video more related to tv us 1080p 25f HBR. If you are using a lot of slomo in this last categorie, than buy the GH3. @IrisAerial : we use the 14mm lens (mirco third). If you want to see the result, take a look for video at our website.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
It would be great but at the moment you want to film in 720 50p, a downlink is not a option. No matter if Zenmuse or a conventional HDMI adapter the Gh2 switches into 50I/60I 1080. Thats my main concern !

Boris

You're correct Boris. We never tried it, because we don't make much use of slomo with aerial imaging. 1080p 50i is not an option!
I'm following the result of the fitting from GH3 in the zenmuse.

Thanks

Kari

It would be great but at the moment you want to film in 720 50p, a downlink is not a option. No matter if Zenmuse or a conventional HDMI adapter the Gh2 switches into 50I/60I 1080. Thats my main concern !

Boris

Exactly, and also 24p is not suitable for many aerial works and 25p is not even a close to the level of quality of 24p in GH2. And 720p is... well 720p even though it's amazing and better than most 1080p i've seen from DSLR:s. I still love my GH2 with Driftwoods cluster @720p50 but after playing couple of days with GH3 now i'm really impressed with it. Possibility to turn off contrast and sharpness + all the advantages of new features are making it a real player in the game. And to be honest i don't really get it what some guys (mostly guys who has not buyed GH3 yet) says it does not have "cinematic" look like GH2 have. Cinematic look is a result of many factors, i don't see it much less cinematic looking than GH2. GH2 did not look cinematic at all when it came out but after hacking it have been cult camera. I think already without any hack GH3 beats all competitors and many more but after Vitality comes out with a hack it'll open new doors again.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
OK OK. I gotta chime in here. This whole "cinematic" look thing. Wouldnt it be bad if ALL your footage looked cinematic out of the camera without setting it that way? I would rather have neutral non compressed footage that I run through Looks than having an effect added out of the camera. Am I missing something here?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Exactly, and also 24p is not suitable for many aerial works and 25p is not even a close to the level of quality of 24p in GH2. And 720p is... well 720p even though it's amazing and better than most 1080p i've seen from DSLR:s. I still love my GH2 with Driftwoods cluster @720p50 but after playing couple of days with GH3 now i'm really impressed with it. Possibility to turn off contrast and sharpness + all the advantages of new features are making it a real player in the game. And to be honest i don't really get it what some guys (mostly guys who has not buyed GH3 yet) says it does not have "cinematic" look like GH2 have. Cinematic look is a result of many factors, i don't see it much less cinematic looking than GH2. GH2 did not look cinematic at all when it came out but after hacking it have been cult camera. I think already without any hack GH3 beats all competitors and many more but after Vitality comes out with a hack it'll open new doors again.

Agree !

I must also say that most that 720 hacks around 70 bitrate didn't work for me. Or lets say it like that the chances were high that the cam froze. Of coarse there is more to the hacks than just bitrate. But on the the GH3 720 50p mov 70 works without a compromise and if needed I know i can take the cam up and not get a frozen gh2 back.

By the way tested again today. 1080 p50 recording and live out over HDMI 1080 I works and the zenmuse converter can deal with it. Before I wasn't sure now its 100%.

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
OK OK. I gotta chime in here. This whole "cinematic" look thing. Wouldnt it be bad if ALL your footage looked cinematic out of the camera without setting it that way? I would rather have neutral non compressed footage that I run through Looks than having an effect added out of the camera. Am I missing something here?

Its a mixure of both or ? High detailed good raw material leaving more possibilities in postproduction or ? For people like me that have little to no clue about it and reducing the work time on it, postprouction i mean.

Boris

Kari

If you want noncompressed footage out of the camera i guess BM is next step. but with GH3 you can turn all incamera sharpening and contrast totally off, so you get more raw footage even though it's not "real" raw.

hexa

The gh3 is a far better camera to use than the gh2.
judging from all the raw footage I have seen And all the new features, video quality looks better and sharper. Mov codecs don't need to convert files.
Faster focusing, yep fast auto focus will come in handy so many new features.
No more time wasting and testing different hacks and sd card speed.
Less hassle all so leads to longer life.

All those folks on the web who are saying the gh3 is no different than the gh2 for video, None of them actually own the gh3 and is just finding an excuse or cant afford to splash out on the more expensive gh3.

Just hoping the bits needed to fit gh3 to z15 will be available for sale that's if Dji don't be selfish and offer a gh3 to gh2 fit Kit.

It's the new age.
Who does not want their footage to look cinematic and pro like with out the need of spending count less hours processing? Not me

If you want to stay in the game you have to move with the changing times my friend.
If not, you will be left behind battling with a 400mhz windows 95 Pc. Wile the guy at the front smooth sailing with his quad core 8.9ghz windows 8 pc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
to tell the truth i don't think they will be offering a kit. The more i am fiddling with it the more i am noticing that there are to many little compromises.

1. Remote plug has to be redesigned

2. HMDI rubber cover is a ***** to flip forward and keep it there to get the camera in.

3. Sensore bar has to be extend forward otherwise not chance to get the GH3 in balance on the nick/pitch axis.

4. Having it balanced in roll one of the ears for the camera belt is touching the Z15 frame.

5. I don't think even if they change parts that it will be an easy slip in of the camera as it is with the GH2. The user will have to do a little more than just tightening two screws.

And other hassles i can't remember at the moment.

It is doable with little changes and the will to balance the cam every time you stick it in 10 mins maybe or less depends. For the engineers at DJI it roll axis and the given space on it won't be enough. The won't make a half hearted mod.

But lets see they have a lot more resources and possibilities. I hope their priority is to try fair and not profit orientated way !

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Probably i could, but to tell to the the truth i really don't want to give support take care it works for everyone etc.

At the point were i feel good with my solution I will publish all the info and make a how to video ! Put the CAD files online etc. Everyone can make a choice if they want to go this way.

At the moment i am searching for a good service to CNC some plastic parts for me or any other production process for plastic parts. The 3D printer stuff i am getting is nice for fitting
and i might take it up in the air with them tomorrow, but using then over a longer period of time they are just not right. Or lets say it like this my experience in 3d printing and all the material
available are close to zero. So if there is a good method that one of you can name me I will search for it. The method i am using now prints out very precise models but the strength of the material is
**** comparable to hardened clay.

If any of you know of a fast prototype CNC service for small plastic parts please give me the info. I don't care it can even be in the states, preferably in the EU.

Thanks

Boris

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I guess that is the honorable thing to do. But normally when you make something that is mostly mechanical, there is little to go wrong. You put the work into it, so why not help pay for your efforts? After all others are benefiting from your research and labor. But I do agree, dealing with people can sometimes be frustrating. I've been selling my F450/550 legs and batwing camera mount for a while now and I have had no complaints other than an occasional missing screw set that fell out through customs. Even if DJI comes out with a GH3 Zenmuse, it will cost so damn much I think most would rather buy a kit to retrofit their z15 rather than spend another $3500-4000 on a new one. Hell, I'll sell them for you if you want :)