GH3 announced .... at a price ????

Since the GH3 body weights 550 grams and it's size is substantially larger than the GH2 I doubt the Zenmuse will be able to support this camera with a simple modification.

Macsgrafs

If Panasonic have thier heads screwed on this time, then what makes anyone think the camera can be hacked? i'm sure they got burnt last time by the big pros complaining after spedning $1000's on high end cams when the sub $1000 GH2 was able to offer more throughput.

Ross

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
nice article. great questions and answers. My order will be in. I'm not sure about lenses though. Anyone want to buy my flawless Nex5n with 18-55?

anaka

If Panasonic have thier heads screwed on this time, then what makes anyone think the camera can be hacked? i'm sure they got burnt last time by the big pros complaining after spedning $1000's on high end cams when the sub $1000 GH2 was able to offer more throughput.

Ross

most of the succes of GH1 GH2 belongs by hacked firmware and people that spent hours and hours of work to improve quality for free...
panasonic very well knows this, personally I feel that GH3 will be hacked as well

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Why does it need to be hacked if it already puts out such huge Mb files? And i love that they are in >mov as an option to .MTS. I hated previewing them on my mac. I'm sold. If I could use my canon glass in AF I would sell everything I have for this.

sim_io

The pros who spend $5,000 and upwards will not complain because the Gh3 will never do 4:2:2. The camera will definitely be hackable but it will take many months for the first real patches. I think at a $1,300 price point its too high you can get a Gh2 body for $700 and hack it. Apart from 1080p60 what is there to gain?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
wifi, 60p, no hack needed for high bit files, .Mov over .mts, 240fps mode, etc.....

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
GH2:

AVCHD 1080/60i/50i @ 17, 13Mbps; 1080/24p @ 24, 17Mbps; 720/60p/50p @ 17, 13Mbps

GH3 :

H.264 QuickTime MOV 1080/60p/50p @ 50Mbps; 1080/30p/25p/24p @ 80, 50Mbps AVCHD 1080/60p/50p @ 28Mbps; 1080/24p @ 24, 17Mbps

Useful video additions include timecode (both record run and free run, drop frame and NDF), a headphone jack, focus peaking, audio levels control, and clean and uncompressed HDMI out.

I think I am sold too. I just sold my T2i on ebay last night. Hope they ship soon. I am sort of hoping there will be a price drop on the GH2 as well to have a backup or for test flights.

anaka

i'm very interested in the wifi connection
I really hope that will be possible to control focus and other stuff remotely with an android device

would be awesome if video is transmitted truogh wifi as well..

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
So whats this about?

DE: We also saw on the feature list that video recording is now essentially unlimited. (At least outside of Europe, where the tax/tariff limit of 29 minutes 59 seconds remains.)

Also what about the lenses - will the lenses from the GH2 be compatible? The new ones are VERY expensive.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I never understood this time limit thing. I thought the 4gig file limit was strictly due to using the fat32 file system. They did say once it reaches that level it automatically makes a new file now.