FPV camera location?

buz914

Whats the best location to mount the FPV camera on a multirotor?
Would putting it on the gyro stabilized camera mount fool the eye when in foreward flight?

I am new to FPV and have only flown with the camera attached to the airframe. This clearly shows you when you transition to foreward flight, ect.

Opinions?

Buz

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Whats the best location to mount the FPV camera on a multirotor?
Would putting it on the gyro stabilized camera mount fool the eye when in foreward flight?

I am new to FPV and have only flown with the camera attached to the airframe. This clearly shows you when you transition to foreward flight, ect.

Opinions?

Buz

I have both fixed and gimbal mounted cams. A stabilized mount can be used but really doesn't give you good idea of the angle of the multi in relation to the ground. On my MK FPV quad I use a GoPro for the video feed and I have it mounted on a two axis gimbal with the roll stabilization disabled. The tilt angle automatically compensates and I can manually tilt the camera from level to straight down. I find the automatic stabilization a little distracting at times, if it weren't for the fact I record video with the GoPro I'd set it up so it would be manual tilt only. At least with the roll turned off I can see the angle in relation to the horizon.

On my DJI F330 the camera is mounted as far forward as I can get it and angled downward at roughly a 10 degree angle. That to me works about the best of all the different methods I've tried. Again, the ideal would be to have a TX adjustable angle on the camera but on the tiny 330 there just isn't enough space to do it.

Ken

Macsgrafs

I made a plate to go between the 2 front arms of my octo, the FPV cam is solidly mounted on this plate to show the attitude of the MR at all times.

Ross

matwelli

I'm about to mount mine to my tricopter, it has a 140 deg lens, contemplating mounting it above and to the right of the rear arm, so that both front props will be in view, and have it angled down about 10 deg, will let you know if it works. Camera work is done by a seperate go-pro, which is in front of the front arms, so no props in shot, as the fpv can and go pro have similar fields of view, it should work well enough that I know what the go pro has in shot while flying

Stacky

Mat I have found if you tilt the camera down a small amount it helps with dealing with cloudy skies making the image go dark when the cloudy skies blow out the exposure of the camera

kloner

Aerial DP
with a gopro live feed it is pretty critical to have the angles within what you want to fly. I've tried down angles, tried flat (my choice if i slow fpv'd like around a park or whatever) or up (my preference for fff) What happens if you wind up contantly sitting in fisheye lens city with everything bent all the time, Horizon looks like a frown

heres two videos, one pointing straight ahead and another pointin up 15-20 degrees.
flat

up

angled down

totally depends on your flying style and what you want in the end. the props in frame show how far it is moved up and down

Last edited by a moderator:

matwelli

great comparison between the three angles, at least the props are still there for reference.

Stacky - yea it was you who sugested a slight down angle to me, so im going to try 10 deg