Flying at Altitude

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I am looking to here from any one flying multi rotors above 13,000ft.

OR Links to videos showing there use at altitudes greater than this. I am sure I have seen one on youtube but cant find it.

I have see some post on here about flying at 10/12,000 but I really need to know the affects at higher altitudes.

Dave

Bowley

I guess you mean flying from 13000ft as opposed to flying to 13000AGL?
You got a cool trip planned? thats high!!
You could do an ecalc calulation, might give you an idea Dave, thats how I worked out my max altitudes for my Ops manual

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I guess you mean flying from 13000ft as opposed to flying to 13000AGL?
You got a cool trip planned? thats high!!
You could do an ecalc calulation, might give you an idea Dave, thats how I worked out my max altitudes for my Ops manual
Never really had any success with exalt. But thanks for the tips

Dave

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I almost crashed hard at 7000-8000' using my 11' graupners on my y6, almost identical setup as yours Dave. I would never use 100% throttle, where at that alt I had to use it to prevent crashing on landing. Plan on lots of motor/prop. if you're flying 11 graups I bet you'd need 14's at that alt. But how it flies in between altitudes is gonna be interesting. I always wanted to take a cheap quad and just give it 100% throttle and let it go until it stopped.

Bowley

I would tend to believe that Dave, if you were above 10000ft flying a manned aircraft you would need Oxygen, ( I think its 12 in the states.)or risk Hypoxia.
13000ft is over the ceiling of many helicopters

Rehost

Sorry guys. I'm here to bust all your bubbles.

Flying at these altitudes, no matter where, is unsafe.

If I have to explain to you the implications of flying at these altitudes, you shouldn't be flying.

Dan

Rehost

Ok better get this going before some dumbass does it and we have 5-10 lb birds falling all over the place.

First of all, FAA regulations will soon restrict us to 400 feet altitude.

Second, at that height, your little fpv camera is not what is considered "having control of your aircraft". Pushing the limits of our outdated, low funded "toy" electronics will result in failures. And failures at anything about 1000 feet puts anyone within MILES in danger.

Third, you're flying at passenger jet level airspace, why????

Fourth, rotary craft use power to create and sustain lift. Running out of power up there and you (once again) put things within MILES at risk.

If you look for problems, you will find them. And this hobby is already at risk of being shutdown. So do us all a favour and keep it safe.

Dan

tstrike

pendejo grande
Dan, Droider isn't in the states so the faa threats means diddly to him. I think you're forgetting not everyone lives at sea level and by your reasoning I couldn't fly here in salt lake city because we're at 3400 feet. I've seen guys launch from the top of the snowbird tram platform at 11000', looked about the same as when they launched from 3400'.

Rehost

Hmm you're right. I just finished watching that video of MR "I'm gonna fly my new phantom in downtown manhattan". Guess that's why I jumped to the conclusion.

Sorry guys. I retract my comments except for that "fly safe" one :)

Bowley

Dan, Droider isn't in the states so the faa threats means diddly to him. I think you're forgetting not everyone lives at sea level and by your reasoning I couldn't fly here in salt lake city because we're at 3400 feet. I've seen guys launch from the top of the snowbird tram platform at 11000', looked about the same as when they launched from 3400'.

Whoa 11000ft.....maybe 13000 is possible then, I guess MR's generally do have a high power to weight ratio

RuralFPV

COWS!!!!
I would tend to believe that Dave, if you were above 10000ft flying a manned aircraft you would need Oxygen, ( I think its 12 in the states.)or risk Hypoxia.
13000ft is over the ceiling of many helicopters

Interesting. You can drive to 14,100', Pikes Peak, no O2 needed. I've been there.