First A$$ View

pepper

as an instructor, i tell ALL my students that after they get their private to go straight into unusual attitude training. or aerobatic training. reason being is that you need to know what the limits of an aircraft are. so many pilots get their license and as soon as something gets bumpy or winds get above 15 they don't fly because they are scared! i flew airshows in an pitts S1. amazing airplane but a handful on the ground!! you will be a BETTER pilot, and MUCH more confident as a pilot.
most important is HAVE A BLAST!!! learn the weather REALLY well! that's what gets most of us in trouble as VFR pilots, to include me. oh and be sure to call the FBO's in advance to find out which one's have free rental cars if you fuel up. :)

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Things are sure changing quick now... just spent 3+ months doing all those skill lessons, now it's time to kick it up a notch and not a day too soon. Today was my first Dual Cross country, pretty simple, went 60 miles away, landed at a non controlled airport to full stop round robin and back. First flight plan, first a lot of things. Never broke a sweat and nothing was mysterious..... it all made since. I have another solo in the pattern, get a night intro flight monday night then we plan our last dual cross country at night into John Wayne Airport towards the end of next week. Got my written exam scheduled for december 5th..... should be done within a month at this rate. think theres 12 lessons left out of 33 and a checkride. it used to take me 2-4 sessions to get through a lesson, now i'm ticking them off one per....

attachment.php

kloner,
what you've got there was my favorite part of learning and instructing. even after getting my license and to this day i love going out with a chart and just finding my way around. GPS makes you a slave to the little course indicator, charts make you stay heads up, look around, and enjoy the scenery. an E6B is the most frickin' amazing thing I think I've ever seen!
[MENTION=16529]pepper[/MENTION] i can't go anywhere without someone mentioning an S1......ahhh, one of these days maybe..i sold my S1 project to fund my aerials business four years ago.....:dejection:

pepper

[MENTION=1]Bartman[/MENTION] dude, that e6b was the most frustrating and amazing thing at the same time. lol. and man, i know how you feel!! all i have now is a c-150... :( although i get my kicks of airplane rides out of the aircraft i teach skydiving.Mike Mullins out of Memphis can get us to 14 grand in 12 min!!!!!! it's amazing!!! i completely agree with Bartman! that GPS is just to easy! the map is just more fun! until you have to do some skud running. lol!

kloner

Aerial DP
My instructor is in his mid 70's and has me pretty well convinced that i want IFR training BUT wants me to go have some fun with it first to understand why and to help "push" me through the course. Aerial MOB wound up hiring one of the instructors from my club as a Visual Observer so depending how all this goes i'll most likely buy an ifr trainer and just hire him to train me through it. Otherwise i'm pretty much just doing all this so i can manage a crew of uas operators. The other day i was in a meeting with an admiral of the navy, some general from the pentagon and an faa official talking shop and it was amazing how i understood them all. if nothing else, i became very educated on airspace and general flight rules and can now talk the talk. He made me learn the mechanical e6b but i also own and mostly use the sporty's digital e6b.... takes the math out of it all..... that mechanical one is pretty crazy how it all works.

I'm hitting high 80's on sample tests right now, hoping to get that up a notch into the 90's before i take the test in a couple weeks. Using Sporty's Study Buddy on my ipad..... but did most of my education of it all with the gleim books.....

I've been waiting to go fly at night since this all started, super excited to finally get it under my belt.

scotth

as an instructor, i tell ALL my students that after they get their private to go straight into unusual attitude training. or aerobatic training. reason being is that you need to know what the limits of an aircraft are. so many pilots get their license and as soon as something gets bumpy or winds get above 15 they don't fly because they are scared! i flew airshows in an pitts S1. amazing airplane but a handful on the ground!! you will be a BETTER pilot, and MUCH more confident as a pilot.
most important is HAVE A BLAST!!! learn the weather REALLY well! that's what gets most of us in trouble as VFR pilots, to include me. oh and be sure to call the FBO's in advance to find out which one's have free rental cars if you fuel up. :)

Spot on. Before I cut anybody loose for good we do unusual attitudes in something aerobatic that takes some pushing (Citabria or whatever).. Pitts makes it too simple :)

pepper

LOL!! yea. Citabria would be better. or a c-150 aerobat. not a bad little plane and cheap. Pitts are really simple to flip on the air. :)
I must clarify something. I Use to be an instructor. this dang photography stuff has taken All my time!

[MENTION=1417]kloner[/MENTION], you are making me excited about flying again. I remember when it was the fun learning !! hell, I'm just 36, I need to get back in the air, behind he yoke.
I do have to recommend to ALL of you, skydive at least once. :) it's amazing flying your body through the air! wingsuits create a completely different perspective when flying next to clouds. :)

kloner

Aerial DP
On Tuesday night had my night intro flight, 8 stop and goes in the dark..... no moon. Knocked that out pretty good, took a couple to get in the hang of things and he kept chopping my lights as we went on till towards the end it was blacked out..... they all went smooth but i swore on the very last one 100 yards out and up on final i was on the edge of stalling with some buffeting as was crossing the threshold.... that was a little sketchy.

Wednesday night i did my dual night x-country from Gillespie field into Santa Ana John Wayne. I had sim'd it out a few times and my flight plan seemed to work so off we went. It went really smooth, went straight to it but got taught about all the approach/delivery stuff, went in to 20L wing tip to wing tip with an alaska airlines 737 on 20R, then taxi'd around a huge ups plane..... pretty exciting. Going up he made me do my class bravo under over bit but coming home delivery sent us direct through it all so got an experience in that side of it. I have one more dual X-country, then my final Stage check then i have to do 2 solo x-countries and a check ride. My FAA knowledge test is dec 5.... just about done. My brain hasn't been so full of info ever as it is now. feel like i'm gonna forget my name and phone number.

8 lessons left

pepper

Don't do like I did and taxi to close to a 737 in a Cherokee 140 not paying attention. Thought I was about to take off when my instructor started hollering to stop. Lol. No need to back up cause it pushed me back. Yea.... That close. LOL!!!!

Always remember!!!!! YOU are a pilot. Airline pilots are glorified bus drivers. :) unless they didn't go through a fast pace ATC school. I may get barked at for that comment.

Your almost done!! Hang in there cat and keep up the awesome work! It will eventually become like riding a bike.

kloner

Aerial DP
Passed my FAA private Pilot Knowledge test today,,,, 85%. They caught me off guard on a few but for the most part it was pretty simple. I probably should have spent a little more time going back over them but was worried i'd have second guessed myself wrong. Took 45 minutes. One more dual x-country then 2 solo x-country trips... and a check ride to go

Mojave

Good work Steve. There is always something more - figure out those areas on your own; then move forward and upward!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
have you done any solo x-country flights yet?
congrats on the written, check the box, one step closer!

it would suck if they ended up not requiring the license, eh?

kloner

Aerial DP
not really, i'm diggin flying and look forward to aviation being a part of my life.....

No, my last dual x-country is this week. then i repeat two of them solo, get some additional experience going into class b then a checkride