First A$$ View

kloner

Aerial DP
Well, the time has come and ol kloner is going for his private license,,,, oh yea!!! Can't believe somebody's gonna let me fly them around,,, hahaha, this oughta be full of stories to share.... STAY TUNED, hopefuly not too much film at 11

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
have fun with it. pitch controls airspeed, power controls altitude. what makes an airplane fly? money!

SoCal Blur

You got it easy. At least you'll be flying something that is inherently stable. When I was getting my pilot's license for the helicopter, I was flying something that constantly wanted to flip upside down and crash. The old saying of "Helicopters beat the air into submission" isn't far from the truth!

SoCal Blur

Yeah, that's always fun... In one, you stall if you go too slow. In the other, you stall when you go too fast. You just have to remember which one you're flying...LOL

kloner

Aerial DP
who knows, maybe i'll just go full size and never look back..... definately give me a better idea of what people are thinking up above if there ever was an encounter

Your gonna have to fight vinny and lou, the other mobsters for that jib.....hahaha but if you can take em, it's all yours. Watch lou, he likes to slip ya the pinky

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
It is different when your life is in the seat. Every time we go up I look at those tiny control rods attaching the swash to the blades and cant help but to think what would happen if they broke. Or a camera flying out at 100 knots hitting the tail rotor. You see birds and you fly the other way. So needless to say I bet you'd be pretty jacked up if someone was flying a drone anywhere near you. $500,000 and 2 lives vs. $5000 and a someone who is safe on the ground. Just sayin.

kloner

Aerial DP
well passed my medical, got a log book, next stop sounds like "fire in the hole"...... going up for an intro flight next week

SoCal Blur

Congrats. Start studying for your written now and take it as soon as you think you are ready. There's no reason to wait until all of your flight training is finished to take the test. The hard test will be the Oral Exam. Mine took 4 hours in a Carl's Jr. in San Diego. Flew in and out of Montgomery Field for the flight test.

Don't worry Kloner, I am sure you are going to love it. I think you should not get too much ahead of yourself with the ground training, oral examinations and the like. The best way to fully appreciate an introduction flight is to sit back, relax, and fully live the experience as it takes place. It is unnatural for the human body to be exposed to unsual G situations and it takes a little time to get used to it. This is absolutely normal. Flying small aircraft has nothing to do with being a passenger on a commercial flight. So just go out there and see how you feel and get an idea of what is involved. Any good instructor will be very much aware of this and should not rock you around unless you really ask for it. His role is to make your experience as enjoyable as possible. So give us some feedback, was it love at first sight?

Bartman

well passed my medical, got a log book, next stop sounds like "fire in the hole"...... going up for an intro flight next week

have fun. you'll be surprised how much you're allowed to do in a typical intro flight.

i instructed before the internet really took off so my relationship with my students was very close and they had mostly me to look to for advice and guidance. with there being so much information available on the internet i'd still say wait and see what your instructor has to say about when to do what (written tests, reading the FAR's, prepping for oral exams, etc.) as he/she will be your partner throughout the process and the person that has to ultimately sign for you to go ahead and sit for the practical test (licensing exam). you either trust that person and things are awesome in your life, or you don't and you'll probably have an eye out for a new instructor. some schools will have you flying with multiple instructors (part 141 usually) in which case they'll also have a very structured approach as to what gets done when.

it's a great experience and a good instructor will automatically become a friend for life. i wish i could go through it all again, small airplanes are the best kind!

Bartman

are you anticipating the Private Pilot License being a requirement for commercial sUAS ops?

kloner

Aerial DP
I cant directly answer that but i'm not doing this for the private part....

Thanks dude, I've been in a lot of new MD rotors 520-900. We painted them for md out of Phoenix and the guy that flew em back and forth was a good friend of mine..... the one thing i've never done is gone up in any plane, so i'm expecting it to be similar but different....

Why does some private license offer cherokee and some offer cessna? is that a different level of license or just a different way to do it....

For sure, just gonna take the ride, get the log book and see if i remember anybody around.... We were at this airfield i'm taking this at for 6 years painting helis so i used to know everybody there 18 years ago... i still live where i moved to work there so the field is 5 minutes away

is going through the local flying clunb a good way to do it or is CAF a better gig?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

working on your private might seem boring by comparison to joy riding in new NOTAR's and stuff like that.

Cessna is one manufacturer of single engine piston-powered airplanes, Piper is another. Cessna makes the 152 and 172 which have been very popular over the years for instruction, Piper makes the Cherokee which comes in different models (Cherokee 140, 180, 235 which later became the Warrior, Archer, and Dakota). You can do your license training in either one, I liked Cessna aircraft better for instruction but if you're not really doing it for the license then go for whichever will cost the least. The Cessna's have a better wing and flaps so they can go into more places and the high wing will be better for aerial media if you ever wanted to do that. The Cherokee has the low wing so the view from the cockpit if more open but the flaps don't do what Cessna flaps do as far as making drag and adding lift. Cherokees use an electric fuel pump to back up the engine driven one and you have to switch back and forth between wing tanks which gets old after a while where Cessnas gravity feed fuel from the wing tanks and feed simultaneously so it's less to manage when you're learning.

As for a flying club, if they have an instructor in the club that has the availability you need to get it done then it's worth looking at as the hourly costs can be lower. You might have to do a non-refundable equity buy-in to join though and pay monthly dues so if you're not flying a lot the costs can be a wash. CAF must be a local thing out there (Confederate Air Force?), never heard of it out here.

You could have asked the Dr. that gave you your physical for some idea of where the most students come to him from. Go visit the different flight schools and you'll get a feeling for which ones are run well and which ones are shady (there are a lot of shady ones out there)

Bart

janoots2

Heck, if the progression of 4S, to 6S, to 8s systems continues along its path, we'll be be able to strap a lawnchair to the bottom of our rigs and fly to work soon.

kloner

Aerial DP
so today had my cherry popped.... god times, uneventful, flew the crap out of it, did everything a new guy was suppose to but by the end of the hour i was feeling it pretty good..... everybody i talk to said get the chief instructor, you want the old guy..... Well i got the old guy and look at my log book,,,, 2-3? wth

View attachment 17196

back up tomorrow then the fun ends and work begins..... already read more books in the last week than i have the last decade

Attachments

• IMG_0948.jpg
    IMG_0948.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 360