First A$$ View

kloner

Aerial DP
This was my ride the last couple days, going back monday morning.... if you see me low, run like theres no tomorrow,,,,,

View attachment 17264

Attachments

• IMG_0950.jpg
    IMG_0950.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 375

SoCal Blur

How will you be able to see and avoid all of the "drones" flying below you with a low wing aircraft? Just sayin' :highly_amused:

kloner

Aerial DP
got signed off to do my own pre-flights, got ground control all figured out, taxi, high speed taxi, brakes, ground maneuvering. Getting the left hand tenancy sorted out, got my turns cleaning up nicely. Last flight took off all on my own, climbed clean with various turning, made approach and got it to ground affect when my instructor had to slip in a bunch of rudder to clean us up but i got her stopped and made the taxi we aim for.... Dam, charging right along 3-4 days a week. Finally slid into a decent plane that's a lot more modern and easier to use but still a warrior....

SoCal Blur

Reminds me of my helicopter training. it had a "trim bubble" and my instructor would keep saying "Step on the Bubble" Meaning, of course, to press the peddle that corresponds to the side the bubble is on to get her back in trim.... Eventually you correct the trim without even realizing it.

Good stuff mate and good luck, flyings wicked fun Ive done about 7 hours in an R22 helicopter just cost's a boom of money in the UK, but it's one of the best things I've ever done beats riding fast bikes flat out.

kloner

Aerial DP
If i stick with flying as a hobby, an r44 would be in my future.....

ironicaly enough, I got creamed on my gixxer right in front of my flight school 14 years ago on may 2nd, maybe i'll ditch that day just in case. This place has fun stuff but i've already seen the bad sides a few times..... makes it a love hate thing

SoCal, same thing in a plane, orientation bubble.... I'm slowly starting to get that feeling of all the things i miss now when they happen, especialy the tail orientation but all the nose dropping in turning is going away, yesterday we went into stalls and recovered for a while, almost landed it again, still needed a small crab to get me lined up on approach, but i'm getting there..... It's hot when your all lining up for final and pulling flaps, it's a rush. diggin the whole experience

So far two really big things are coming from this translate able to my job..... the whole radio monitoring, knowing how to communicate, understanding how the logging and checklist procedures are done to maintain safeflight. theres alot of translateable things going on through this. Having and understanding charts and airspace is huge....... The engineering standpoint and understanding how things work is the easisest for me with that mindset as a life..... think the full scale flying part is easy, doing it safely is an entire another thing but its just being educated that gives you way better chances. I'm guessing not many people jump back in after having the last call

so i'm continuing on 3-4 days a week in november 8441 bravo..... hahaha..... solos are coming, i can already hear the small mentions in his explanations,,,, already have my student pilot cert and medical so yea, it's iminent

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

Choosing an instructor needs a little careful thought, There are basically two kinds, There is the pro who could also be the CFI and there are the hour builders who simply are there to get an airline minimum acceptance number. You could find yourself with someone who has probably less than 200 hours and in reality is bored to death with his job. I instructed on and off over the years since the mid seventies, and it is a very boring job. You are going to find that a Cessna 150 also known as a Spam Can pretty much flies itself. After about twenty hours you may want to change to say a PA28. It may even be possible to get on a tail dragger towards the end of the course. You need to find out what your feet are for sooner rather than later.
I remember recruiting some instructors to fly in the right seat of my PZL Wilgas during AP ops. whilst I operated the camera systems. I was amazed at how many qualified instructors could not stay on the runway after opening the throttle. A decent instructor should have at least 30 hours on tail draggers IMHO. Ask to see their log book.

I learnt to fly helicopters and fixed wing at the same time on a Bell 47 and a PA28. Those were the days I can still remember my first solo flights. At the last count I had flown 12.800 hrs on almost a hundred different types. Stopped last year and I don't miss any of it. Remember one thing. You can only make a small fortune out of owning aircraft if you start with a large one. If it fly's, floats or does the other F don't buy it, rent it.

kloner

Aerial DP
no not me, it was almost a year ago...... I'm already booked on this thing for a month so i'll ride it out. All the planes they have to offer are as old if not older than me..... i'm 44

My instructor is a 70+ year old CFI that has more log books than all the hours the other instructors have combigned, or so they say...... He has some senior moments but i keep catching them so far, so good.... haha. The good part is he's really calm and relaxed but extremely set in what he is showing me so i feel like i'm getting a decent run at being taught right..... The first thing he said was we don't sell pilot certs, your gonna earn it.... Supposedly it takes 60-80 hours to gather the knowledge to get certified here.... fair enough

I'm in no way looking to make money off any full size aircraft, i'm more looking at it as a hobby. Gotta break up this working with uav and hobby with uav, it's burning me out too fast. We were looking at big boats, but now i'd rather move towards the sky

SoCal Blur

Personally I think the 40 hour FAA min for cert is unrealistic unless you fly every day and even so, more hours in the air are better for you. I hovered the Schweitzer 300 at @ 5 hrs. The first time you do it is known as sweat hovering because you're soaked with sweat the first time you finally hold it in a rock solid hover for 60 seconds. I think I soloed at 11 hours. It's a weird feeling when the instructor jumps out and you take off, circle and land by yourself for the first time. I had 52 hours when I finally got my cert.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
the hour requirements are a minimum but most of what you have at certification is determined by the airport you learn at and how much time/money you can dedicate to getting it done. busier airports in more complex airspace are going to require you to spend more time learning operations in controlled airspace (talking to controllers, following taxi instructions, clearing airspace to make it out to a practice area, etc.). Uncontrolled fields in the middle of nowhere can solo a new new student in under ten hours sometimes with certificates earned in just over the minimum required hours.

@Denny, it's a little different here now, there are more career instructors than there used to be. fewer airline jobs and a lot of pilots stuck in the commuter ranks mean some flight schools have very qualified and perfectly happy instructors out there flying with students. i disagree that it's boring, i loved flying with students and continued to do it long after starting up with the airlines. agree with you on the tailwheel stuff though, that little wheel in the back teaches a whole lot more than the nosewheel up front ever could!

you guys keep talking about flying little airplanes and i'm going to have to go get current again. it's probably been five years since i flew a GA plane and three since I let my CFI expire. there's a place that rents a Cub about twenty minutes from me. I used to fly it and a Super Decathlon there before the money ran out (due to the aerial media business, go figure!). :(

DennyR

Decathlon is a nice little aeroplane to learn your basic skills and get into some Aeros. Not exactly a Extra 300 but could make a pilot out of you very quickly compared to a 150.

As an instructor you can earn about three times as much on helicopters. But when that means flying a R22 you may not get to spend it. Stats always tell the truth.
Schwitzers and RoBos are the cheapest to learn on so accident rates will be higher due to the kind of ops flown but far too many pilots have checked out for good in these things. You are 4x more likely to die in one of these compared to a Cessna.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Decathlon is a nice little aeroplane to learn your basic skills and get into some Aeros. Not exactly a Extra 300 but could make a pilot out of you very quickly compared to a 150.

The Extra would cost three times the amount of the Super D to rent so that ain't happening even if they had one on the line. I sold my very top-shelf Pitts S1-SS project to fund the aerials business but still waiting to see how that pans out.

Every airplane can teach every pilot something worthwhile...the pilot just has to be receptive to what is being offered.

SoCal Blur

Schwitzers and RoBos are the cheapest to learn on so accident rates will be higher due to the kind of ops flown but far too many pilots have checked out for good in these things. You are 4x more likely to die in one of these compared to a Cessna.

IMO you can't put Schweitzer 300 and RoBos R22 as you call them in the same league. A Schweitzer 300, is a "real" helicopter. I consider the R22 the YUGO of helicopters - non-standard controls, the illusion of agility until you get into a negative G (unloaded Rotor) situation. If I remember correctly, 24 kt winds is the max for the R22.

Where are you getting that statistic? "You are 4x more likely to die in one of these compared to a Cessna"? I've had one full and one partial engine failure in the 300. Since you're always flying in IFR (I Follow Roads [and railroad tracks]) mode, all you need is about a 60' diameter circle to land (read auto-rotate) into. In a fixed wing, you can glide for miles, but eventually, you need something long enough without obstructions to land on. It's not the flying that kills you, its hitting the ground, uncontrollably.