DJI Zenmuse gimbal for Gopro

DennyR

Wow DennyR, 1.8 isnt much. You have a zenmuse rite? How do you find it, and if Halo has similar motors, how do you think it'll perform?
I agree that the IMU sensitivity is what is very important. Not really knowing much about the Zenmuse, does it have an on gimbal IMU? or does it run from the IMU on the WKM system?
Thanks
Nick, the stepper motor can be made to work with a very expensive micro stepping driver which you would need one for each axis. So the question is why do it when you can rewind something like a TM 3506 pancake motor that will do the job without any feedback encoder in both the tilt and roll axis. When you get to the pan axis (some might say why bother with the extreme angle of the GoPro) but to do that properly. You may need to use the FC's output and just refine it with a closed loop. I expect that Alexmos has already incorporated that, or is working on it. And yes the Zen has both a high sensitivity final axis IMU and it uses the WKM MC as well. The motors have an encoder built in.

In the same way that everyone and his dog is making good cheap multiwii boards I think we can expect the chinese copies sooner rather than later. I had a carbon moulded gimbal 5 years ago which could do the job and carry a 5D or a Red, but it never went into production because of the cost of the electronics and the fact that it would have been copied with much cheaper and advanced electronic components before the production costs had been recovered. You cant fight the chinese on that front. Because Alexmos has a sensible price to start with there is less incentive for people to copy it but that wont stop them.

I use three Zenmuse because it is a simple cost effective solution that is almost fit and forget. Time is money. Unless the Halo is a dramatic step up from the other stuff from that outfit I expect it will fail to impress because hanging a motor on a gimbal is a very small part of the overall package. You have a lot of new kids on the block coming from the helicopter manufacturers and they have real money, a network of manufacturing facilities and experience to throw at this.

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast

guys don't fall the for the Yun-I thing its just riding the wave at the moment. You can see in the videos that it docent hold level no matter what (roll-axis). Probably due to the IMU but why even spent a cent when you will have to wait for a update of take care of the IMU yourself. A lot of guys are implanting the Alemox SBGC at the moment, give it a couple more weeks and compare the different systems after words.

Boris

nicwilke

guys don't fall the for the Yun-I thing its just riding the wave at the moment. You can see in the videos that it docent hold level no matter what (roll-axis). Probably due to the IMU but why even spent a cent when you will have to wait for a update of take care of the IMU yourself. A lot of guys are implanting the Alemox SBGC at the moment, give it a couple more weeks and compare the different systems after words.

Boris

Thanks for the advice.

Very good idea.
Look at iOSD mark1 and mark11.
By the way,
I doubt the iOSD mk1 will ever be able to be "upgraded to log"
It as NO SD card or slot, so what would it log to....?????.
DJI will not be talking about it till all forgets and buys the mk11 model, or the mk3 or 4.
Just keep buying.
new items all over the place, prices will drop big time soon.
us early adopters always pay twice.
but have fun first
Just dont hold your breath for DJI to upgrade anything.

BTW DJI sent me a link to a "new" ground station. Just as flaky as the last one.
https://www.yousendit.com/download/UW13ck93YTI1aWFFQk1UQw
My ground station software has a mind of its own.
Start fine now then, wont load plug in for, next 5 times, then it does, but with NO navigation control (google plugin), then works but takes 5/10 clicks to connect.(to S800) It is quite funny as the green bar advances a bit further each time, until it finally decides it likes the airside link. even though it is 20mtr away in los.
Weird software to say the least, I must have installed it 25 times and the plugin 30 times.
I for one can not wait till it becomes reliable, (ground station software that is)
Any hints as to the best style of laptop/OS combination.
I am doubting if netbooks are up to it with atom chip ect.
Maybe XP running is better than Winslows 7 (pun intended)
May be the iPad version might be a fix (when it comes out)
Radioflyer

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Wrog assumption both mark 1 and II have no slot but the ad card is built in. If they didn't mess up somewhere else mark I has the HW capabilities to log

Boris

DennyR

Boris
So where are they getting these Alexmos boards?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
So where are they getting these Alexmos boards?

I think its three/four components, that play a role. Gimbal Mechanical side/motors and their preparation, drivers for the motors and IMU. I don't know if any boards are bought and used from Alexmos or if its only the idea he is licensing and some code to it. But what i am 90% sure of is that there will be different versions of the driver and the IMUs used. Like already mentioned from the AQ team based on Alexmos they are making their own BL driver board and IMU setup. I think that these are enough variables to see huge quality differences in the different gimbals that we will see in a coming weeks !

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
and than one more thing. We actually have to stay fair not only when comparing the gimbals out there but also to ourselves. I remember how much critic the zenmuse got. No we don't believe show us the results in wind, nah it doesnt keep level its 1 degree of. Now these brushless gimbals are shown in short demos, and we have not wind test we have most of them far from keeping level we have no clue if a downlink will be possible in the finished gimbals there are being promoted. I am just as happy about the development as i hope everyone else, it just had to be taken with a gran of salt and and compared once it possible to be compared at least !

Tahoe Ed

I got some additional information on the Zenmuse GoPro version. It will be all aluminum construction with brushless direct drive motors for GP2 and GP3 without the need for additional accessories. For the GP2, it will support remote shutter and video recording. I think the 2-axis will be killer. I am not so sure about the need for a 3-axis but it is there for those that need it. It appears that April may still be the anticipated delivery date.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast

Attachments

• 1359641368_gimbal1.jpg
    1359641368_gimbal1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 469