DJI Zenmuse gimbal for Gopro

DJI just release picture of upcoming Zenmuse gimbal for gopro.

Attachments

• gopro-zen.jpeg.jpg
    gopro-zen.jpeg.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 864

Tomstoy2

That's right! Now excuse me, please, I'm going outside to play Sarcastaball,( minus the sports drink ).

Last edited by a moderator:

Totality

I would buy one if the price is right. For a good gimbal you are looking at $500 for a GoPro anyway. If this is $500 and performs similar to the full sized version I could be tempted!

plingboot

I've called out DJI a few times on products which I think have flaws, but if the price was right i would definitely buy one of these.

(cut price pre-order, hint, hint??)

I definitely think there's a market for a compact gimbal for use with the GoPro.

You can get some pretty good quality images with a Hero2 (in photo mode) and for some jobs/outfits it would make much more sense NOT to have to have a ship load of 'gentlemen's jewellery' (referring to big cameras and not blokes junk) hanging in mid air.

Also, less weight, more time in the air…

jes1111

I've called out DJI a few times on products which I think have flaws, but if the price was right i would definitely buy one of these.

(cut price pre-order, hint, hint??)

I definitely think there's a market for a compact gimbal for use with the GoPro.

You can get some pretty good quality images with a Hero2 (in photo mode) and for some jobs/outfits it would make much more sense NOT to have to have a ship load of 'gentlemen's jewellery' (referring to big cameras and not blokes junk) hanging in mid air.

Also, less weight, more time in the air…
Personally I don't see the point. The GoPro is an "action camera" with a fisheye lens so it can be bolted to a helmet, the front of a kayak, etc. - all that "Red Bull" stuff that it does so well. It's been picked up by the TV industry and gets used on Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, etc. 'cos it's tough, expendable and can be squeezed into small, tight places. But I cannot, for the life of me, see why it's become the popular choice for MRs, where you're always in an open space (usually in a very open space), the subject is always "distant" and so on. It's just not the kind of "scene" for which the GoPro was designed. So for DJI to now make a gimbal especially for it so that its ghastly, low dyanic range, through-a-fish-bowl image can be perfectly stabilized... well, I just don't get it - why DJI would make it or why anyone would buy it. Sorry :)

kloner

Aerial DP
cause for alot of entry point people, that seems like more than enough for a really long time. look at all the dji f450's there are. how many dumbasses would buy that? i went through 3 of em

The eye a photographer has versus what the real world sees is two totaly different things. that said, this thing better be cheap if they think there selling any. most people don't even expect the quality you guys get on a bad day where it's all junk. when they first get a gopro, it lights a fire. They either stick with that and live with it or they progress on. in all honesty, it's what you guys tell newbies that come in wanting a cinestar to carry a red for there first bird,,,, they need a camera too and a 450-stock 550 will only lift this POS. Now sony has theres and i think we got 2 more major players dropping in on the action cam market very soon. That will be the dimise of this product.... too little too late and layed out wrong for most of them

ChrisViperM

Instead of coming up with something useful (Zenmuse for using different cameras, like a modular system) they throw this toy on the market....this thing is as much needed as dingleberries

Chris

hjls3

to add to what Kloner said - I still really enjoy slapping it on my hot rod 550 and taking a few risk with it I would never consider with Canon and AD6. I am really looking forward to filming my kids skiing this winter and I can see where having a small, simple, fast, well stabilized GoPro carrying setup would be fun. All of this said, both of my Hero2's have had lens replaced with Rage Cam lens - not a fan of the fisheye.

also, even though we might be filming in wide open places - often we might be close to the subject we are filming - hence the go pro works pretty good. again - chasing my kids down a ski hill or around a mx track the gopro is pretty decent.

if this gimbal is affordable and pretty light - id be a player -

DennyR

If they sell that for under a grand then they will sell em in big numbers. That is the bottom line. The next most useless toy is retractable S800 landing gear but people think they need it so they will make it. For every one who will buy a gimbal for a cinematic camera, a thousand will buy one of these. Lets give the Chinese all of our money....

I would have though by now RCTimer would already be making a copy.

plingboot

100% agree on retracts, i can see a lot of people landing on their expensive gimbals…

In an ideal world, DJI would pump out a zenmuse for an EOS-M and it would let me use the EF adaptor and some of my smaller (size) primes… and i'd have the spare cash to buy one.

But to enjoy the benefits of a zenmuse, i'm currently faced with the option of buying the gimbal AND a different camera (nex-5n), which i don't really want/need given that i'll probably buy the EOS-M anyway

A gopro zenmuse at under a grand would fill a stop gap and suit my current needs/pocket even better - i simply don't need to be lugging around a DSLR or Red or whatever at this point in time.

two caveats would be that it can be used with the gopro wifi back pack and that it's under a grand (which i suspect it will not be)…

at a later date i may well want/need bigger/better, but that ticks boxes form me right now.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Not clear if he is or not. But he seems to still have good connections into DJI. Forwarded me some email addresses of certain people at DJI and I am really taken care off ! Why ?

Everyone seems a little ticked off? Why?
If they make a gopro gimbal thats just another option.....right?
I guess I'm missing the point I thought retractable landing gear on a s800 would allow for more of a dynamic shot and less work for the pilot and better filming experience for the camera operator....just my 2 cents not stirring the pot just confused I guess.