DJI Zenmuse gimbal for Gopro

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
nah i see no reason lets wait for the price the additional features and the weight of it. If it allows for lighter smaller copter setups in combo with a Gopro3 which shouldn't be a problem, it could be a very interesting tool !

Heard in the background that the pic of it in the beginning of the thread will differ from the actual product and it should still be available before christmas :)

Boris

fajar

gopro 3 is likely to set them back a few months of production time. It is 25% lighter and the zenmuse is factory calibrated to the exact weight of the camera. If they want it to fit both hero 2 and 3 model, they may have to change the design.

Dale UK

jes1111

for Multirotor use what do you think is the best Camera (there maybe a whole thread on this I haven't picked up on) - is it the Sony NEX or are their better around - at a sensible enough price to hang under a bunch of slightly unreliable electronic GPS reliant marvellry?

Dale

meme

After collecting some experience with the GP3 i'll be interested in it if the price will be around 1000$.
I need small quads for transporting issues and the GP3 is the right cam for that.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
just got the info that a 2-axis and 3-axis go pro zenmuse is in the works prices and specs should be passed on after chinese new years !

Boris

nicwilke

Photohigher Halo1000 will be out soon also. Wonder what will happen with pricing since the Alexmos gimbal explosion has occurred.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Will one thing that has to be considered and that was also stated by the developers who licensed the Alexmos approach or one of them jussi:

Rcrgroups thread: Quoted from Rcgroups thread "

The MPU6050 fixed to camera is serving as the encoder/feedback. So in essence it is a closed loop system. But its the "Simple" version
wink.gif

Of course there are other ways to do it - like Maxon motors, external optical encoders or other types of encoder that will give you resolutions and accuracies down to 1/10´s of a degree or lower. That is already beeing worked on by Autoquad team members, but it will be more complicated to build and more expensive.

If you stall the gimbal, it will go a few steps back and then try again to reach the desired angle. You wont burn motors or anything like that.

"

so it will all come down to comparing the system once out. I just hope the PH rumors before that the Halo100o is around 2000 to 3000...more $ doesnt come true. That both dji and PH keep it in the low 1000 $ range

nicwilke

I think the Halo100 (GoPro Photohigher Gimbal) will be a lot different than the http://www.fpvmodel.com/SBGC.html systems.
Firstly, I'm pretty certain the GoZen and Halo1000 will be stepper motors, and have a higher resolution. They will also both be 3 axis, and I know the Halo will have build in stabilizer (version of the skyline). I'm thinking they will be chalk and cheese, and of all the videos floating around the net at the moment, the gimbals are useless unless you tune them to perfection with balance and gains (like any gimbal) In short, its not going to make a silk purse from a sows ear.....
I'm looking forward to the announcement of the price in a while.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I think one should differentiate a little further though. Don't wanna be mean but the fpvmodel YUN-I gimbal in that video is just crap ! I don't think it stands for what can be really done with Alexmos's approach. I am betting more on the final system from the AQ team. Knowing after having built an amazing fc, that they know what they are doing and their gimbal stabilization built in the AQ FC is already superior to most standalone stabis out there !

nicwilke

Boris,
I agree, its not the nicest looking video, although funny in its presentation. The AutoQuad teams gimbal looks great.

IMHO...
I am hearing from multiple sources that there are a lot of professional photographer's testing and working with the newer GoPro's so it appears to have earned it's place depending on the situation.

Moore's Law..... more powerful electronic tools that are lighter and more compact and more energy efficient require smaller/lighter batteries. The same is occuring with cameras for the most part..... and at the end of the day the Multi-rotor has a very finite airtime which can only be maximized by minimizing the payload weight. So....... the GoPro3 Black is fit-for-purpose at least for entry level. So a miniturized Zenmuse gimbal makes sense from my perspective..... but much depends on the price and the results. Now if they can just cut the size and weight of the Red Epic down by another 50%!!!!! The challenge with cameras will still be the weight of the lens and larger lens will always have an advantage over smaller.

DennyR

I think the Halo100 (GoPro Photohigher Gimbal) will be a lot different than the http://www.fpvmodel.com/SBGC.html systems.
Firstly, I'm pretty certain the GoZen and Halo1000 will be stepper motors, and have a higher resolution. They will also both be 3 axis, and I know the Halo will have build in stabilizer (version of the skyline). I'm thinking they will be chalk and cheese, and of all the videos floating around the net at the moment, the gimbals are useless unless you tune them to perfection with balance and gains (like any gimbal) In short, its not going to make a silk purse from a sows ear.....
I'm looking forward to the announcement of the price in a while.
I don't think stepper motors will be able to compete with direct drive torque motors, I went through that stage years ago. A stepper has a resolution of only 1.8 degrees which with a micro stepper drive can subdivide that 1.8 degrees, this becomes very heavy and expensive to do. http://www.motionking.com/support/select_stepper_driver.htm The resolution will be determined by the sensitivity of the IMU fitted to the camera baseplate, in the case of the Invensense MPU 6050 you can change the sensitivity from 2000 deg/sec to 300 in the registry and thus it would be possible to resolve .005 deg. using something like the ARDU IMU -3 from DIYDrones. That code was never finished but not much to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

nicwilke

Wow DennyR, 1.8 isnt much. You have a zenmuse rite? How do you find it, and if Halo has similar motors, how do you think it'll perform?
I agree that the IMU sensitivity is what is very important. Not really knowing much about the Zenmuse, does it have an on gimbal IMU? or does it run from the IMU on the WKM system?
Thanks