DJI WKM Firmware 5.12 Update

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Denny you done anymore bench testing? I am thinking its something to do with the new return to home features. What were you in when the failures occurred?

Dave

MaNDoWn

Registered MR Crasher
DennyR
The DJI engineers were very interested in the type of cut-off I was using also the height. both failures happened at the same height, just as I started to ease back on the throttle.
Once it stopped on the way down I opened throttle instantly when nothing responded I went to normal restart sequence but also nothing happened. Battery was normal discharge for two mins. of flight.

This is the same thing that happened to me! In GPS mode I climbed to about 75' and just backed off throttle to hover. It banked hard left. I applied right aileron, it pulled back, motors shut down, as it started down I applied full throttle and it just fell out of the sky. I didn't even hear the motors attempt to wind up!
I have intelligent shut off on motors. Don't know if it matters but my octo is in "I" formation. I have traditional Rx, motor 7 on F1, motor 8 on F2.

I've also heard from DJI. They seem interested in what my throttle was too. I've now been asked to export my setting to them?

PM me if you would like my phone number or email address to talk about this more? Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:

Aviator

DennyR

This is the same thing that happened to me! In GPS mode I climbed to about 75' and just backed off throttle to hover. It banked hard left. I applied right aileron, it pulled back, motors shut down, as it started down I applied full throttle and it just fell out of the sky. I didn't even hear the motors attempt to wind up!
I have intelligent shut off on motors. Don't know if it matters but my octo is in "I" formation. I have traditional Rx, motor 7 on F1, motor 8 on F2.

I've also heard from DJI. They seem interested in what my throttle was too. I've now been asked to export my setting to them?

PM me if you would like my phone number or email address to talk about this more? Jeff
I also have Octo in I formation but with custom motor mixing, but have my cut off set to immediately as when it was set to intelligent it caused a crash and broke the legs on my octo... How you ask? it was a windy day perhaps a little too windy really? but I decided to fly and see how it coped with the wind? the answer was it didn`t really like it and done alot of wobbling almost to the point of being uncontrollable? anyhow I landed it safely but the motors didn`t stop and decided to fight the wind which caused the Octo to take off again on its own then the wind blew it over nearly so it increased throttle and dragged itself across a field until it finally flipped over when it hit a bump in the ground causing the motors to shut down.. Since then I have never used intelligent cut off, and never will.. Seems a pointless feature anyway? unless you are likely to shut off the throttle in mid air?

Pablo74

Hi everyone, I switched from 5.6 to 5.12 of OKTO frame droidworx with the 5.6 I had problems only in-flight engine mounts broken and half fell: ( I conducted the tests at the bench, tying the OKTO and I saw what happened with the engine support cross-section undergoes abrupt angles in flight causing an uncontrolled rotation of the half. I upgraded to 5.12 and not wanting to use sbus rx with futaba 6208 sb to return to the 5.6 firmware after reading some of the problems they are having all and frankly I do not understand the cause .. how can I downgrade to 5.6?
I saw the link a few pages back but get more than 5.2
thanks
View attachment 5216

Attachments

• engine2.jpg
    engine2.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 319

As far as I can remeber its 1.23 for 5.06 respectively 5.08
But I am not absolutely shure.

I am not at home tomorrow. If you do not find the information, please let me know. I will then check my flight-notebook. There I do have the versions installed...

Aviator

O.K I have started a new post for Octo users that are having problems with the 5.12 update, can you please post info there for me please to pass on to DJI

tppeng

I don't think naza support Octo, so perhaps no problem with Naza.
I had it on my F550 (now equipped with WKM) and flew well.

MaNDoWn

Registered MR Crasher
My understanding is this is an issue with the WK-M, with a traditional Tx radio, and on F1 and F2 ports.
I did hear of a person having an issue with a NAZA falling from the sky?

tppeng

This IS an issue with WK-M only, and after hearing much, most people are using Traditional Rx.

Naza wise, I can't say too much but over two dozen I've personally seen and setup/tuned, with DX7S/DX8/DX10t, 9503, 11X, and of course some Futaba S.bus. I havn't heard any glitch or lose controls. With or without GPS.
If there's a thread anywhere and you don't mind, please link me there and I'd like to offer some help to see what happened.

MaNDoWn

Registered MR Crasher
tppeng

I think it was Aviator?
I was with a friend yesterday, he was flying his quad with Naza GPS, when it suddenly dropped from the sky with no real warning just a little twitch then down it went, luckily it doesn`t weigh all that much and landed on its feet before it bounced and flipped on its back as all motors stopped at once, but still some snapped props and bent legs.
And more important a lack of trust for DJI

Send him a PM as the message was posted on another forum.

Aviator

tppeng

I think it was Avator?

Send him a PM as the message was posted on another forum.
I have since spoken to the friend in question, and he is not sure if he dropped the throttle under 10% by accident? as he was flying with fpv goggles at the time and couldn`t see his hands? So this cannot be confirmed as hardware error? it could have been user error?

VINHEX

Another update. Well keeps me busy while this rain keeps coming... Once the weather picks up it's gonna be

Wheres me keys, where's me drone,
Where's me keys, where's me drone.

Lol

CLAUDE258

I have the same: wobble a lot when failsafe is activated. I was afraid and stopped the failsafe to regain control.
Is there anyone else who got this wobble? I dont hear a lot of people with this problem.

This morning I tested my WKM on a CX4 (Quad) on 5.12. POI worked good once I understood how it works.... 1st flight took me a few tries to set POI target as I was switching between off and POI too slowly. Once I learned you need to switch it fast... it worked. But when my bird was switched to autonomous (failsafe), it wobbled a lot! Nearly wet my pants especially on the first flight when I lost control! Was on 5.08 with about a dozen flights and it was perfect. The gains and settings are the same from 5.08 to 5.12. Anyone got any idea where the wobble is coming from? Is it 5.12 or can it be my gains or settings? I did notice it wobbled a little once right before I went failsafe on the 2nd flight as well and overall... the bird seems to be less stable at 5.12 then 5.08.

1st Flight
I forgot to keep an eye on time so I think it went into failsafe by itself right after I switched to failsafe so I could not turn it off and lost stick control of the bird. Was ready to take over on Alti or Manual mode but the wobble went away and decided to let it land by itself. the wobble starts at about 5:55 (during Ascend of fail safe) and again at 6:12 (during 180 turn toward home in failsafe mode). Auto land was perfect.

2nd Flight
After about 30mins rest... decided to try it again. The POI worked great but once I put it in failsafe to come home and land... it wobbled again a few times during flight home. The wobble starts at 2:35 (during ascend of failsafe) and 2:55 (during straight flight toward home in failsafe). Auto land was perfect again.

Ken