DJI WKM Firmware 5.12 Update

I have one on a f550 that wobbles.... using S-Bus futaba 8fg, no FPV, no gimbal.. first fail-safe flight on 5.12 activated Fail-Safe by turning the TX off.. WKM also took down a S800 the same way but on 5.08. Decided to "R & D" on a cheaper frame. Would have thought DJI would have a more manageable evaluation process or more interactive evaluation process with selective owners in different region before posting available for all to download. I am new to the hobby, so I was not expecting to dish out double the cost and still have to do my own R&D. Maybe the Arducopters is looking just as fun..:) and just as easy as the DJI products. This same f550 and setup was upgrade that morning.. had been hovering around the yard and house all morning.. then i headed to the park for the fail-safe test. Here is the results.

you can see the wobble throughout the video.. but very apparent during decending (2:59 on) from fail-safe.

Then this next video is after the WKM landed, I wanted to just hover in GPS/ATTI till the battery low activated the landing... but it landed much sooner..:(

Last edited by a moderator:

Lanzar

We have 2x dji wookong okto.

first setup is cinestar 8 with Herkules v2 boards and after update we get motor 7 and 8 spinning on its own without starting the motors, they start random for 1 sec on every 20 to 30 sec. We had uncontrolable crash, looked like motors 7 and 8 stoped spinning for no reason.
second setup is AD8 with ecs 40 amps. Same problem. Motors 7 and 8 spin for no reason on its own.

Does somebody have the same problems after update.

apeman88

Ksrim,

You are calibrating your bird incorrectly. You need to spin the bird on it's own axis... you cannot spin it with you as the center of the axis. Your IMU will not work correctly this way!! Not sure your crash is due to incorrect IMU calibration though.

Ken

I have one on a f550 that wobbles.... using S-Bus futaba 8fg, no FPV, no gimbal.. first fail-safe flight on 5.12 activated Fail-Safe by turning the TX off.. WKM also took down a S800 the same way but on 5.08. Decided to "R & D" on a cheaper frame. Would have thought DJI would have a more manageable evaluation process or more interactive evaluation process with selective owners in different region before posting available for all to download. I am new to the hobby, so I was not expecting to dish out double the cost and still have to do my own R&D. Maybe the Arducopters is looking just as fun..:) and just as easy as the DJI products. This same f550 and setup was upgrade that morning.. had been hovering around the yard and house all morning.. then i headed to the park for the fail-safe test. Here is the results.

you can see the wobble throughout the video.. but very apparent during decending (2:59 on) from fail-safe.

Then this next video is after the WKM landed, I wanted to just hover in GPS/ATTI till the battery low activated the landing... but it landed much sooner..:(

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast

first setup is cinestar 8 with Herkules v2 boards and after update we get motor 7 and 8 spinning on its own without starting the motors, they start random for 1 sec on every 20 to 30 sec. We had uncontrolable crash, looked like motors 7 and 8 stoped spinning for no reason.
second setup is AD8 with ecs 40 amps. Same problem. Motors 7 and 8 spin for no reason on its own.

Hi Lanzar i will update my CS8 this weekend and let you know if i have the same issue.

Boris

Aviator

You are not alone with these problems.. I started a thread on this.. Anyone flying an Octo with a Traditional receiver has had these problems and I think most have crashed due to motors going full throttle or stopping.. I think I was the only one that managed to save the machine after motors M7 and M8 went full throttle on their own..
Apparently DJI are releasing yet another firmware update 5.12a today?

hahaha.. interesting.. dji had seen the video and has not said anything. What services.. I even did one in my office for them to see.. on another LED issue.. we are still going back and forth on it. maybe they just don't want to deal with it.

View attachment 5253 guess I was not technical enough to read this diagram.. and not able to interpret the instructions well.. 2 out of 2.. I am hopeless.

When I get both WKM back.. one for LED issues, the other is the one in the video for the reseller to check it out.. perhaps I will try it the right way.

Thanks for the corrections....

Regards,

KS

ps.. to my efforts..:) it does look like the red directional line indicators do go behind that stick figure...:) in both image.

Attachments

• rotate.jpg
    rotate.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 338

Aviator

hahaha.. interesting.. dji had seen the video and has not said anything. What services.. I even did one in my office for them to see.. on another LED issue.. we are still going back and forth on it. maybe they just don't want to deal with it.

View attachment 7025 guess I was not technical enough to read this diagram.. and not able to interpret the instructions well.. 2 out of 2.. I am hopeless.

When I get both WKM back.. one for LED issues, the other is the one in the video for the reseller to check it out.. perhaps I will try it the right way.

Thanks for the corrections....

Regards,

KS
I have always calibrated the compass the same way as you? mainly because my machine is 1000mm diameter and 600mm tall and weighs 5kg without a camera... So turning it on its own axis is very awkward. But it has never caused me any problems? and in failsafe will land within two foot of where the home points is.. When calibrating other electronic compasses such as the ones you get on a mobile phone or some other flight controllers they dont require to be turned on their axis? only to have been moved in any direction so they can detect the magnetic field from every angle and decide where north is. This should only change when you move maybe 5 miles or more away from where you calibrated last, although it wont make a huge difference, at 5 miles away it is recommended to re-calibrate

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I calibrate my birds both ways in my eyes it doesn't make a difference. Its simply a compass calibration if the status indicated that it worked i wouldn't worry. Out of experience I never had an issue, with GPS, once I had a random fly away were a had to switch back to attitude mode to get the bird back.

Boris

kloner

Aerial DP
the news has been showing how the largest eruptions on the sun ever were going on over the last week....... wonder what these do when the gps cuts out from solar whatever or if it does at all

Vojec

read post for about 2-3 month a go maybe, can't remember, and some guy wrote that he fly with octo over baseball stadion in GSP mode and suddenly octo gone crazy and flu away. octo wont listen on any control just crazy uncontrolled flight and vanish in front his eyes. I thing never find it. So reply to that post was from some guy he mention that exactly this morning was dangerous solar activity, and maybe that cause lost and uncontrolled flight...

Also post about solar on this treat page 7 #61, #63 - also put link to android app I use it and check it before fly, just precaution...

Vojc

apeman88

Humm... Maybe with WKM it does not matter? I came from MK multi rotors and MK must be calibrated on its own axis. Was also told by my WKM dealer when I purchased it that to make sure I calibrate rotating the bird's axis and not hold and spin around.

On the H axis... I agree.. It is not that critical as either holding and spinning or spinning on its own axis as its within a few feet. But on the V axis... It is completely different holding the bird vertically and spinning or spinning the bird vertically on its own axis.

From MK... We were told to move away from all magnetic fields... Remove all metal objects including your watch away from the bird when calibrating to get the best calibration possible.

Anyway... Love to take a poll to see how everyone is calibrating on WKM.

Ken

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Japp you are right, on the second calibration procedure it is a different thing. I always calibrated my WKMs all of them with spinning the Bird on its own axis. Now with the naza after seeing that people are doing it differently i said what the heck and did the little dance holding the bird and its worked and I have solid GPS hold. Strange one !

I think the GPS fly aways were and people reporting that they can't switch back to any other flight modes it strange. Considering that the fly away was triggered by a false or bad GPS signal or issue with the GPS module why should it affect the system in a way that the flight modes can't be switched anymore ?

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
this guy is also doing the dance :)

Interesting also on a different video a heli DJI user guy states that after changing location even if its only 5 KM the GPs declination must be considered and the compass should due calibrated again.

Aviator

All magnetometers or electronic compasses are mainly calibrated by the code to account for bias, hard/soft iron deposits and magnectic declination, so yes keeping away from any large interference i.e power lines large metal objects that could distort the earths magnetic field where you are calibrating will affect it. But the calibration process should only require movement in all angles within a certain geographical area, depending on the coding and whether GPS data is used to account for geographical variances? so in theory even staying within ten meters is fine.. the data is then collected and calibrated. There are different types of sensors and different algorythms but essentially do the same task? So just going on theory I dont understand why MK require it to be done on its own axis? Perhaps there is someone that can explain?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast

Aye Up Lanzar.

If you go to the beginning of the thread I think some one has posted a video of them doing just that..

I am trying to establish the correct procedure for updating the firmware.

How I do it is

First default all settings on the MR BEFORE the firmware upgrade.
Delete assistant and all relative files.
Download and install new Assistant.
Plug in MR and upgrade firmware.
Calibrate TX
Test flightmode switch activates all relevent fm's
Manually input previous settings.
Bench test in manual with MR strapped to my revolving test bed.
Bench test in atti.
Calibrate compass
Fly MR over long grass and tune gains via X3
Fly over long grass and test fail safe.

I have done this to three MR's 2 Y6 configs and 1 F450

The two Y6 machines are perfect. I HAVE NOT tried POI and I have not enabled return to home via X3 because it is controlling tilt on camera gimbal.

I did have a minor knee trembler when I tested fail safe for the first time in intelligent as my MR kept climbing and climbing and climbing before I took back control. On reading the manual again I read the bit that durning failsafe the MR will climb to its highest point in the flight before returning home DOH!

Anyhow very pleased with the flight characteristics of both Y6 machines. Both seem to be more stable through their whole payload range where before they did not like it when the payload used for tuning was not carried.

The F450 is a totally different ball game. I could NOT tune it.The GPS was not locking and the MR was very unpredictable to stick inputs in atti. and would toilet bowl while in GPS mode even with full satellite lock. I have reverted to 5.02 and its perfect. The WKM is one of the very first ones and I am wondering if they are compatible with the newer firm wares. Hence my question ' DOES ONE SIZE FIT ALL'

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?4760-Got-my-F450-back!-QUESTION-Does-one-size-fit-all

Dave

EgonW3

Another question is if during vertical part of calibration copter should be kept nose up, side up or it doesn't matter.

apeman88

Avatar... I can't explain it... not an engineer. But here's how MK's are calibrated and was told WKM should follow the same procedure? Would love a confirmation on this.

Ken

Aviator

Avatar... I can't explain it... not an engineer. But here's how MK's are calibrated and was told WKM should follow the same procedure? Would love a confirmation on this.

Ken
Yes it would be good to know their logic behind it? especially doing it on top of a metal framed table inside a building?