DJI S1000 Owners Thread - Mini Build Log

janoots2

So far I've seen positive reviews on the S1000 and it looks freaking awesome. Guys who are using it pro, would you give your recommendation at this point? I'm in a fork in the road and one way is pointing to an S1000 rather than a cinestar 8/a2 w/retracts/zen5d.

rcflyerheli

"Did you have any issues plugging your escs into the central frame? I just got mine so excited to fly it but can't connect four of the eight motors because how tight the o.d. of the bullets in the center board"

Mine went in just fine on all of them, but I split the frames so I could get the leverage to get them i, but I left out the heatshrink, so I gotta split them again and then pull each of them and add the heatshrink. Damn

jjon667

View attachment 17403View attachment 17404Dear DJI and Future Customers of the S-1000

Here is a warning. We recently purchased a DJI S-1000 with folding booms as a feature. The RED PLASTIC BOOM LOCKS are FAULTY. They snap. These parts are made from cheap styrene plastic. Not only to they snap in the air but they can snap on landing. We now have a 15K boat anchor. We have sent emails to DJI with no response. Being here in Los Angeles we took the next course of action. We went to the service center in which we were greeted with angst and shock and 100% lack lack of service. The rep looked like he just rolled out of bed and could not be bothered and told me they don't stock ANY PARTS and that I needed to send the entire S-1000 back to CHINA. Really? He asked who sent you , who gave you an RMA. We have a 2500.00 job this week that needs to be canceled because DJI sells faulty " Professional Gear" We have 40 yrs in RC and have never had such a poor experience. The rep was not even remotely willing to help. My next plan after this is to show up at NAB with rig in hand for everybody to see. Dealers , production companies , distributors and the list can go on. PLEASE see attached photos. BE ADVISED if these boom locks snap in flight you will end up with a catastrophic disaster and if you injure somebody lawsuits , loss of wages. DO NOT buy this product until there are parts readily available. Yes there are 4 spares in the box because I am sure DJI is aware of the problem. They are all broken and NO there were no crashes resulting in broken parts

Attachments

• 267A7632-2.jpg
    267A7632-2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 427
  • 267A7642.jpg
    267A7642.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 410

Northwoods

Hey guys,
I have 15-20 flights now on my s1000, A2, ft14gs and maybe Blade or Tahoe Ed could tell us if the replacement parts for the s1000 are available.
Here is the problem, I identified right away that one or two of my motor mounts had just a little play in the mounting of the motors where the 4 main rubber dampened screws hold the motors to the aluminum base that houses the ESC. We thought no big deal because as the motor lifts it would "snug" up against the rubber washers. Well, now after many flights I can observe theses motors "vibrating" and upon closer inspection it looks like the play has allowed the holes in the carbon base plate to slightly " elongate" creating more "slop" in the mount.
I know this is not going to be a good thing to let continue to happen, so now I'll have to undo the screws and if bottomed out like I think, I'll have to shorten them. I would rather not do this but I think I have no choice, if I can't get them snug they will probably start vibrating worse and wrench the motor bearings or worse break a mount.
Cheers,
Northwoods

jjon667

Northwoods there are NO parts…..None…..this is my battle based on faulty ill engineered products. I have scoured the planet and all of my resources. NO PARTS OR SUPPORT FROM DJI

Northwoods

A reprint from my post on rcgroups page
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2102104&highlight=s1000+owner+mini&page=31

Update,
What AceDan mentioned is right, the rubber dampers are grommets and not washers like I thought they maybe were. I took out the screws on the "loose" motor and sure enough just a grommet through the carbon plate. With the seat depth of the screw allowing for play this motors grommet must be wearing faster than the others. There looked like minimal thread contact on the screw so I won't be grinding on it to get it lower to match the others, maybe I'll add a washer.
Which brings me to my complaint, DJI should know this "grommet" is a wearable part and should include extras or at least have some with the vendors. A 10 cent part can keep a multi thousand dollar device from not working safely. They really should be asshamed of themselves. I thought the Chineese culture honored respect, well this shows really little or no respect to me. Dr. "Whoever" that monitors these treads from time to time can have this forwarded to him and he can send me a $2 bag of these things and I'll pull my post, otherwise I'm pissed....
Sorry to all the good guys on this thread for venting but these cheap screws and grommets are not something I can go down to the local hardware store and just pick up.... If I could it would be a little less annoying...
Cheers,
Northwoods

Tahoe Ed

View attachment 21492View attachment 21493Dear DJI and Future Customers of the S-1000

Here is a warning. We recently purchased a DJI S-1000 with folding booms as a feature. The RED PLASTIC BOOM LOCKS are FAULTY. They snap. These parts are made from cheap styrene plastic. Not only to they snap in the air but they can snap on landing. We now have a 15K boat anchor. We have sent emails to DJI with no response. Being here in Los Angeles we took the next course of action. We went to the service center in which we were greeted with angst and shock and 100% lack lack of service. The rep looked like he just rolled out of bed and could not be bothered and told me they don't stock ANY PARTS and that I needed to send the entire S-1000 back to CHINA. Really? He asked who sent you , who gave you an RMA. We have a 2500.00 job this week that needs to be canceled because DJI sells faulty " Professional Gear" We have 40 yrs in RC and have never had such a poor experience. The rep was not even remotely willing to help. My next plan after this is to show up at NAB with rig in hand for everybody to see. Dealers , production companies , distributors and the list can go on. PLEASE see attached photos. BE ADVISED if these boom locks snap in flight you will end up with a catastrophic disaster and if you injure somebody lawsuits , loss of wages. DO NOT buy this product until there are parts readily available. Yes there are 4 spares in the box because I am sure DJI is aware of the problem. They are all broken and NO there were no crashes resulting in broken parts

I gave a guy from New Zealand two to replace a broken one on his S1000. The replacement parts have not yet arrived in LA. I don't know when they will. I have been in their parts room and there are plenty of parts for the S800 EVO. There will be the same for the S1000 as well. It will take time to build that inventory. I will speak to the LA Operations Manager tomorrow to make him aware of the problem.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
"It will take time to build that inventory."

I faced similar dilemmas with top-of-the-line ASUS Notebook computers a few years back with respect to warranty replacement batteries.
Despite some initial fear and trepidation regarding online shopping thru Singapore and Hong Kong I now buy direct from Asia on a regular basis but some extra patience is required.

It's the brave new world of direct shipment Internet shopping which is now global!

Tahoe Ed

there needs to be a new U.S operation manager then..

You are so wrong. The Ops Manager is doing a great job. After NAB they will have a lot of new inventory for spare parts. 5 S1000's and multiple P2V+'s, H3-3D's, Zen15 for 5D and BMPCC. No you cannot ask for a complete unit from them. You can order online at DJI.com.

sk8brd

ed- its not rocket science to have parts available when releasing new products. if it isn't the U.S operation manager then its who ever decides on business plans/roll out is responsible for this. some distributors are looking bad because of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tahoe Ed

@sk8brd

I understand. But there are logistics and supply chain constraints. DJI could hold off release while they built the replacement parts. But you know that users want it now not later. It is a no win situation for DJI. Release it now and have no replacement parts for 2-4 months or wait to build the supply chain. I don't run the company. That decision is up to them. I will pass the concerns on to DJI.

sk8brd

I know its not your fault. You and blade have helped many and i give you guys alot of credit for that. The online support has increased ten fold since then you guys officially took over and have said that

seems so simple to me at least what would need to be done to avoid some issues that people complain about time and time again... but im not running the the show obviously. People will move on when something else comes along that is better. Its only a matter of time this industry is still very very new. Once the big boy venture capitalists in U.S want a peice of the consumer market just like when they wanted social media way back when you can expect some changes to occur.

fdproductions

FD Productions
I had my s1000 fly-away on me, super scary makes flip of death look like a joke. Upon inspection all but two clips remained the multirotor lost complete control six minutes into flight with 23.5 volts remaining. The incident was so scary I have started to scratch my head on the s1000's viability and durability. Unfortunately, DJI America refused to inspect, assess, or replace the unit, nor will the retailer (RC Depot) I purchased the aircraft from take the s1000 back. Super frustrated, words can't express how scary the fly away was the aircraft nearly went inverted before hitting a power line and come crashing down on the street after a shockingly loud thud. Felt like an A2 flight controller issue but the way the helicopter leaned only in one direction for at least six seconds during the flyaway and on a quick decent surely made it seem like it could have been the clips breaking off. Nothing remains of the aircraft every motor on the copter as well as the gimbals broke and was only left with one arm unbroken. DJI America was kind enough to let me know they are aware of my flyaway and will forward me instructions to get the aircraft to corporate headquarters as soon as possible, just doesn't feel right to have to pay such a large amount of shipping for an incident that was completely not my fault.

SoCal Blur

I had my s1000 fly-away on me, super scary makes flip of death look like a joke. Upon inspection all but two clips remained the multirotor lost complete control six minutes into flight with 23.5 volts remaining. The incident was so scary I have started to scratch my head on the s1000's viability and durability. Unfortunately, DJI America refused to inspect, assess, or replace the unit, nor will the retailer (RC Depot) I purchased the aircraft from take the s1000 back. Super frustrated, words can't express how scary the fly away was the aircraft nearly went inverted before hitting a power line and come crashing down on the street after a shockingly loud thud. Felt like an A2 flight controller issue but the way the helicopter leaned only in one direction for at least six seconds during the flyaway and on a quick decent surely made it seem like it could have been the clips breaking off. Nothing remains of the aircraft every motor on the copter as well as the gimbals broke and was only left with one arm unbroken. DJI America was kind enough to let me know they are aware of my flyaway and will forward me instructions to get the aircraft to corporate headquarters as soon as possible, just doesn't feel right to have to pay such a large amount of shipping for an incident that was completely not my fault.

Sorry to hear about your fly-away and subsequent destruction. I am curious as to what you were doing just before it took off? Were you hovering, moving? What flight mode were you in? What, if anything, did you try to regain control? Did you have any hard landings prior to this flight?

sk8brd

details would be helpful. what rx were on, internal futaba receiver, external receiver, s bus, spectrum? when was the last time you did compass calibration. was your a2 updated with latest firmware. did you have iosd installed, there should be logs you could look at if so. What size battery were you running, was the craft overloaded. Did you have fpv setup if so which band. 5.8?, did you wait for full satellite lock before take off, where there any abnormal flashes on the led blinking previously to incident. Which flight mode were you in, gps/atti/manual, ioc etc. all these details would be extremely helpful for us to help you troubleshoot. there was one other instance i heard of of possible A2 flyaway but the person won't release any details. if the clips broke off the lift from the motors should of kept the arms upright if it was in a hover i would think. Maybe not in a tilted situation or if there was a large amount of wind, that could possibly create some type of negative pressure situation on the arm...not really sure about this but i imagine possible.

Tahoe Ed

I think the two posts above summarize what I would have asked. With an expensive craft like the S1000, an iOSD MK II with flight logging is always advisable incase something happens. The logs don't lie and sometimes when things go wrong we don't have time to think let alone remember all the sequence of events. I hope you can forward the log to DJI. That may save you the cost of shipping.

fdproductions

FD Productions
All, my apologies for not being more descriptive, and sorry to OP for highjacking thread. took off in GPS to get lock, switched to ATTI the second I got air, switched back to GPS to get situated for a shot, noticed helicopter moving sharply from my locked position, switched to atti aircraft wouldn't respond to input, switched to manual aircraft wouldn't respond, hit failsafe aircraft wouldn't respond, switched back to atti and heard a loud boom couldn't see aircraft from my vantage point but crash was so loud sounded like it was twenty feet away.

after 75 flights with the 1000 im fairly certain the clips gave up in flight because the aircraft took a certain direction (thankfully downward) and stayed in that direction before almost flipping. not sure if you have a 1000, but if the clips broke the arms wouldn't fly off the craft they would just slightly sag down to all the way down and unfortunately this won't show up on the data logs which i checked because all motors were still connected and operable before heli hit the ground. still waiting on DJI America to get back to me about the warranty repair or replacement 1000. i can't believe my retailer nor satellite office won't accept my s1000 but I'm optimistic DJI corporate will take care of me. Don't mean to sound so negative i've had thousands of success flights with DJI aircrafts just wish I hadn't jumped the gun so early on this bird....

Aircraft Components: (I only fly DJI peripherals, FCs, gimbals)
- mark ii
- avl 58
- 16,000 mah pulse 6s lipo
- panasonic gh3 z15
- a2 v 2.1 latest version
- Linked Futaba 14sg to A2