DJI Livecast is happening right now. new announcement hasn't happened yet

Av8Chuck

Setting aside the aesthetics for a moment, I think you're significantly underestimating the (claimed) functionality of the Inspire Tx. It has more channels (10? Or more) and more inputs, including two dial controls, multiple toggles (as buttons) and the two primary joysticks. Plus it has the Lightbridge ground unit functionality with HD video outputs for iDevice, android, or other external monitor. It has 2.4GHz link to the aircraft for control uplink and telemetry and video downlink. And it has 5.8 GHZ for communication when using the optional master/slave 2 transmitter setup, with one Tx for aircraft control and the other Tx for gimbal control. Also includes lipo battery and charger. $650 as separate item, and prices will decrease over time.

On the style front, there is at least one early experience outfit that included black Tx units with brushed metallic externals. Not sure if that will ever ship though. Still same basic shape and layout, but to many much better eye-appeal.

Steve
here's what I don't understand, the Lightbridge streams all of the video and telemetry over 2.4Ghz and primary flight control over 5.8Ghz, Everyone else does the opposite, the video doesn't look as good streaming over 5.8, a lot of breakups and not as much distance but the primary flight control is solid over 2.4. So 5.8 is narrower bandwidth, its LOS and suffers from occlusion, why would you switch this? You'll have great video, you can see where your going to crash but may not be able to stop it. What does the controller do when the 5.8 drops out, go into failsafe? And if failsafe isn't set correctly, it flies away? If the Lightbridge was designed to stream 1080P that can be recorded remotely that might make sense on some level but I don't believe it does.

deluge2

Disclaimer: I don't own and have never used the current shipping Lightbridge system.

That said, I don't believe Lightbridge works the way you're describing it. The current shipping Lightbridge system is entirely 2.4 GHz. There is a bi-directional link between two transceivers called the ground system and the air system. The ground system sends flight control commands to the air system which are then decoded and sent to the FC, just as they would be from a conventional receiver. The ground system also sends gimbal control signals to the air system which are then sent to the gimbal. The air system also acts as a transmitter when it sends HD digital video and telemetry data to the ground system. In addition, the ground system can coordinate data from 2 transmitters in a master/slave configuration in which the 2nd (slave) transmitter is used to control the camera gimbal while the master transmitter controls flight. This is all done with 2.4 GHz radio signaling, the current Lightbridge setup does not include, use, or require 5.8 GHz signaling of any type. In this setup the radio transmitters themselves (one or two) are connected to the ground system by their training ports and their own 2.4 GHz radios are not operating. The only ground source for 2.4 GHz transmission is the ground system itself.

The Inspire 1 system as currently defined has illustrations showing a 2 transmitter setup (using 2 Inspire transmitters) which shows both 2.4 GHz air to ground links as well as what appears to be a 5.8 GHz transmitter to transmitter link. It's not entirely clear (to me, anyway) whether there are in fact two separate 2.4 GHz ground-air links in the Inspire master/slave configuration or if this is just the product of a slightly misleading conceptual illustration. It is clear that the new Inspire transmitters have both high-power 2.4 GHz transmitters (2 km unobstructed range) and low power 5.8 GHz transmitters, along with receivers for each wavelength.

So there is only one kind of ground to air link and it's a high-powered 2.4 GHz link that sends flight and gimbal control inputs up and sends HD digital video and telemetry data down. I'm sure someone with greater familiarity will chime in if I've got any of this wrong...

Steve

here's what I don't understand, the Lightbridge streams all of the video and telemetry over 2.4Ghz and primary flight control over 5.8Ghz, Everyone else does the opposite, the video doesn't look as good streaming over 5.8, a lot of breakups and not as much distance but the primary flight control is solid over 2.4. So 5.8 is narrower bandwidth, its LOS and suffers from occlusion, why would you switch this? You'll have great video, you can see where your going to crash but may not be able to stop it. What does the controller do when the 5.8 drops out, go into failsafe? And if failsafe isn't set correctly, it flies away? If the Lightbridge was designed to stream 1080P that can be recorded remotely that might make sense on some level but I don't believe it does.

Last edited by a moderator: