DJI Livecast is happening right now. new announcement hasn't happened yet

Av8Chuck

Its interesting how the Myth Busters just admitted to breaking the law for two seasons, not to mention that I'm sure DJI didn't have a COA for that "commercial" demo.

It certainly builds on DJI's cool factor but I'm not sure I consider this any sort of game changer.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Its interesting how the Myth Busters just admitted to breaking the law for two seasons, not to mention that I'm sure DJI didn't have a COA for that "commercial" demo.

It certainly builds on DJI's cool factor but I'm not sure I consider this any sort of game changer.

The one thing that bothered me was "The first professional aerial camera ANYONE can fly"

Um... NO.

NO!

Maybe get airborne briefly before crashing... but fly?

OK... noob... buy it, and do an ascending arch around a moving vehicle while your cam op (or hot chick in a vineyard) follows the car, and then pans and tilts perfectly as you cross over the front to a huge mountain side reveal.

No problem right? 10 min of TRYING should do it.
;)

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!

it's a game changer if your professional aerial development has been limited by the capabilities of the Phantom. let's face it, the Phantom has been huge and A LOT of people are using them in all sorts of pro ways. this isn't geared towards me or you but to the tens of thousands of Phantom pilots/owners that are willing to weigh the pros/cons of an upgrade.

DJI may have just made the first 'prosumer' grade multi-rotor helicopter (I refuse to call it a drone :) ). You heard it here first!

jdennings

Gotta say, the optical flow for indoor flying, the retracts, 360 gimbal, the SDK, 4k video ... good stuff. Not always a fan of DJI but they sure deserve their "Innovation" part.
That said, footage quality ... err ... Poor IQ it seems, lots of oversharpening that reminds me of pro unacceptable Vision+ footage.

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCJ_q5p4W98

jfro

Aerial Fun
I was underwhelmed, but I'm sure they will sell lots and I'm sure there will be problems with their release which is more or less in the past more beta then not.

I watched the press release on youtube, not live. I saw the first part with their sdk for Phantom only as a reaction to Arducopter/3D Robotics/Pixhawk. Didn't here anything new, just a rehash of what others have bee doing for a while. Surprised it's only for the Phantom which leads me to believe, very early in the game on this.

On the new quad, I saw a different design with a new way of getting the legs out for their 360 pan of their new gimbal. I also so a Chinese copy/clone version of a Gopro, new (somewhat expensive seemingly proprietary radio). Not my cup of tee, but I'm sure they will sell a bunch. Didn't see the Bloom intro, but doubt if that would make much difference for me. Don't consider him a drone expert.

All in all, mixed feeling, but wouldn't bet against them selling a fair amount of units.

Most impressed about their growth to 28,000 employees. That's a lot of jobs. Wonder what they get paid!

Bartman

all valid points but if these things were so easy to build and fly the Phantom wouldn't be the RC-aerial revolution in box that it's been.

while we've seen consumers-as-beta-testers we've also seen the smallish details get themselves worked out. the GoPro clone looks to be Sony hardware that is identical to what GoPro is using (according to info posted in another thread).

too soon to tell but very interesting and in all likelihood they're already flying off the shelves so we might as well take a constructive tone and get them working correctly if they aren't already.

bart

sk8brd

there will always be different setups for what pro's use an setups for the general public, i don't think this was ever to replace or compete with larger dslr or higher caliber epic type of birds for pro work--obviuosly..i look at it like a phantom without gopro distortion with light bridge in a new body. if your one of the guys that likes flying a phantom for fun and want the next thing here it is. for pro's and people that create images for a living this is a novelty item.

Av8Chuck

all valid points but if these things were so easy to build and fly the Phantom wouldn't be the RC-aerial revolution in box that it's been.

while we've seen consumers-as-beta-testers we've also seen the smallish details get themselves worked out. the GoPro clone looks to be Sony hardware that is identical to what GoPro is using (according to info posted in another thread).

too soon to tell but very interesting and in all likelihood they're already flying off the shelves so we might as well take a constructive tone and get them working correctly if they aren't already.

bart

Like I said earlier this is a cool design and I have no doubt that DJI will sell a lot of them, certainly more MR's than I'd sell.. However I think they have positioned this product incorrectly, cool does not translate into a professional market, its basically a more expensive replacement for the Phantom. Even if they can develop a camera as good as the GoPro, they can't compete with the GoPro and GoPro's are great POV [or mounted on a DJI, crash cam] and maybe good enough to shoot real estate and YouiTube videos but that's about it.

And at the price point that's a lot of money to fly a GoPro.

Bartman

Might as well post the features list as provided by B&H. Some of this stuff is obvious to even the newest beginner but in the world of RTF marketing it needs being said as anyone with the cash can get started here. At least they made the camera equipment modular enabling future upgrades.

I won't judge those that buy them, people still buy iPhones (my wife, daughter, and son each have one) even though they're the lowest equipment available for the major cell networks according to Consumer Reports. :shame:

From the B&H product listing.............

Capture 4K video and take 12-megapixel still photos from the air with the DJI Inspire 1 Quadcopter with Integrated Camera and 3-Axis Gimbal. Forgoing the fixed landing gear design found on many earlier quadcopters, the Inspire 1 features a retractable arm system whereby the underside of each prop motor has a foot to act as a landing pod when the arms are lowered. In-flight, the arms lift up to provide the camera an unobstructed 360-degree view. A 3-axis gimbal keeps shots steady and the camera pointed the same direction as the quadcopter banks and turns. The camera records internally to microSDHC/SDXC memory cards (available separately) and can also beam a live 720p feed to a mobile device running the DJI Lightbridge app. One transmitter (radio controller) is included and a second can be added so that one operator can pilot and another can pan and tilt the camera.

As with many other multi-rotor systems, the Inspire 1 relies on a GPS-based stabilization system that - thanks to spatial awareness - is able to hold a position even when experiencing wind interference, can compensate for overzealous pilot inputs to help avoid stalling, automatically brings the aircraft home in the event of signal loss or at the press of a button, and makes possible a number of semi-automated flight modes that can be enabled through the app. There is also an "indoor" mode which relies on Optical Flow technology - essentially a special camera - provide stability indoors or in other contexts where GPS is unavailable (Note: certain features will be unavailable in indoor mode).

This bundle includes the Inspire 1 along with gimbal and camera, a transmitter, a flight battery, and a battery charger.

What Ready-to-Fly MeansThis Inspire 1 bundle comes ready-to-fly (RTF). This means a pre-bound transmitter (radio controller) is included and that no major assembly is required - in particular, no assembly that requires soldering. It is important - as with any multi-rotor - to follow the user guide to ensure proper calibration before embarking on your first flight

Integrated 4K Camera
4K and HD Video CaptureThe Inspire 1 Camera shoots 4K video at 24p and 30p, and can shoot HD video frame rates from 24p to 60p. It features a 1/2.3" CMOS sensor with a 94-degree field of view (FOV) lens. This field of view works out to about 20mm in 35mm equivalent, which gives you a wide but not extremely wide or fisheye framing - while not as immersive as a fisheye, this FOV features less distortion and gives the subject more emphasis3-Axis GimbalThe camera is mounted via an integrated 3-axis gimbal which uses brushless servo motors to keep the shot stable and the horizon level. The camera pans a full 360-degrees so that no matter which way the quadcopter turns, the camera can remain locked on the subject. Manual panning and tilting can be affected using controls on the transmitterLive HD ViewA real-time feed from the Inspire 1 Camera can be displayed in 720p HD on a mobile device, making this it a great choice for FPV (first-person view) flying as well as enabling videographers and photographers to monitor framing from the ground. This is made possible by the inclusion of the DJI Lightbridge system within the flight electronics, which features a range of up to 1.2 miles
Note: To use this feature the Lightbridge Ground Unit as well as compatible mobile device are required (available separately)
Modular Gimbal and CameraInspire 1's gimbal and camera can be removed from the aircraft for safe transport and future upgrades

Airframe Design
Retractable Carbon Fiber ArmsThe prop arms rest in a lowered position when the Inspire is on the ground, acting as landing gear. Once in the air, they can be retracted to give the camera unobstructed views across 360-degrees. Carbon fiber is used in the construction because of its high strength to weight ratioAerodynamic DesignNot only does it give the Inspire 1 a sleek look, the aerodynamic airframe helps reduce resistance for better performance and increased battery life

Flight Control System
Fly Indoors and Without GPSDJI's Optical Flow technology uses a specially designed camera as well as sonic waves to provide the same stability function indoors as GPS does outdoors. This technology allows the Inspire to hold its location, stop when the controls are released, and respond to pilot commands even when GPS is unavailableApp-Based Control SoftwareEverything from manual camera controls to flight telemetry - even auto takeoff and landing - can be accessed via the Inspire 1 Mobile app

Transmitter (Radio Controller)
Take control of your Inspire 1 in the air with a dedicated transmitter (radio controller) designed specifically for it. Operating on 2.4 GHz, it features dedicated buttons for photo and video capture, a gimbal control dial, and more. It includes an integrated 6000mAh rechargeable batteryUse Two TransmittersFor an even greater level of precision, use a second transmitter and fly with a friend. With two people controlling the same quadcopter, one person pilots the flight path while the other aims the gimbal and camera. Each user can have their own screen to see exactly what is being shot in real-time

Smart Battery System
Smart Power ManagementThe flight battery constantly supplies the flight computer with remaining voltage. Using special algorithms the computer supplies the pilot with estimates of remaining flying distance and time to return homeAutomated ChargingThe battery tracks the voltage of each cell, the total number of charges and discharges, and the overall health and battery status

From the specs page

Performance
Hovering Accuracy (GPS Mode)Vertical: 1.6' / 0.5 m
Horizontal: 8.2' / 2.5 m
Maximum Angular VelocityPitch: 300°/s
Yaw: 150°/s
Maximum Tilt Angle30°/s
Maximum Ascent/Descent SpeedAscent: 16.4 fps / 5 m/s
Descent: 13.1 fps / 4 m/s
Maximum Speed72.2 fps / 22 m/s
Camera
Sensor1/2.3" CMOS
Resolution12.4 MP
LensField of View: 94°
Focal Length (35 mm Equivalent): 20 mm
Aperture: f/2.8
Filter: Anti-distortion filter
Video RecordingUHD (4K):
4096 x 2160: 24p, 25p
3840 x 2160: 24p, 25p, 30p

FHD (1080p):
1920 x 1080: 24p, 25p, 30p, 48p, 50p, 60p

HD (720p):
1280 x 720: 24p, 25p, 30p, 48p, 50p, 60
File FormatPhoto: JPEG, DNG
Video: MP4 in a .MOV wrapper (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264)
Recording MediaType: microSD/SDHC/SDXC
Speed: Not specified by manufacturer
Format: FAT32/exFAT
Shooting ModesSingle shoot
Burst: 3, 5, 7 frames per second (AEB: 3/5 frames per second; 0.7 EV bias)
Time-lapse
Operating Temperature32 to 104°F / 0 to 40°C
Gimbal
Number of Axes3-axis
Control Accuracy±0.03°
Maximum Controlled Rotation SpeedPitch: 120°/s
Pan: 180°/s
Controlled Rotation RangePitch: -90° to +30°
Pan: ±330°
Operational CurrentStationary: 750 mA
In Motion: 900 mA
Flight Controller
Optical Sensor (Optical Flow)Frequency: 50 Hz
Velocity Range: Below 26.2 fps / 8 m/s (6.6' / 2 m above the ground)
Altitude Range: 2 to 196.8" / 5 to 500 cm

Operating Environment: Rich pattern surface with adequate lighting (> 15 lux)
Operating Range: 0 to 8.2' / 0 to 2.5 m
Motor
Electronic Speed Control (ESC)
Propeller
Transmitter
Operating FrequencyTransmitter to Transmitter: 5.725 to 5.850 GHz
Transmitter to Aircraft: 2.400 to 2.483 GHz
RangeLine-of-Sight: Up to 6561.7' / 2000 m
Receive Sensitivity1% PER:-93 dBm
EIRP10 dBm at 900M; 8 dBm at 5.8G; 20 dBm at 2.4G
Power Requirements1.2 A at 7.4 VDC
BatteryCapacity: 6000 mAh
Flight Battery
ModelTB47
Voltage22.2 VDC
Capacity4500 mAh / 99.9 Wh
Weight1.3 lb / 570 g
Charger
Output Power100 W
General
DimensionsDiagonal Distance:
Landing Gear Lowered: 22" / 559 mm
Landing Gear Raised: 22.9" / 581 mm
WeightWith Battery: 6.5 lb / 2.9 kg

Last edited by a moderator:

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
You guys are all talking about the hardware. I think the most important part of that presentation was the SDK! That was a bombshell. But, somebody said that it's Phantom-only? Is that true? If so, why would they do that?

I was pretty much thinking this would totally change the landscape. It solves one of DJI's biggest problems: that you can't use their systems for technical work. But if it's limited to Phantom, then that really limits it's usefulness. There's only so much you can do with a Phantom.

Av8Chuck

The trouble is that everything DJI does is targeted at the consumer, its the market their in. But instead of focusing and improving their products for that category of customer they immediately start positioning it to try and compete in a different market category. I'm not saying that isn't effective at making sales, sure for everyone who's out flogging their services with a Phantom this will be a perceived upgrade. But it still only flies a GoPro quality of camera so besides the fact that its cool looking it still really only flies the same sorts of missions that could be accomplished with a Phantom so you just have to decide if this model is worth the upgrade to accomplish essentially the same thing.

I think because of this "culture" of development I wouldn't expect the SDK to be terribly helpful.

Bartman

IDK Chuck, the GoPro 4 is being hailed as a pretty competent little camera. I've yet to try one but even the 3 was a huge upgrade from what we had come to expect from GoPro footage.

and from what I can tell, the Inspire is way more potent in its hardware and capabilities than a Phantom. Lightbridge capabilities via a cell phone app? Optical flow system to replace GPS functions indoors? Dual operator 3-axis camera mount? 18 minutes flight time? modular imaging system? zero assembly?

if it can keep its composure in wind then it'll be a home run.

sure it will be up to users to establish its limitations but anyone with a good measure of competence with a Phantom and some pro skills will likely go on to do some very cool stuff with the Inspire.

and keep in mind that this is the first iteration of this particular configuration, it's anybody's guess what the black-ops people at DJI are working on in private.

imho, it's an interesting combination of current technology with a novel approach to simplifying the issue of creating a clear view for your camera (while also complicating it).

i'm looking forward to seeing what comes of this.
bart

My personal opinion about this new product is that everything about it is proprietary. Proprietary radio, battery, camera, motors. One sole source for everything and one company monopolizing the service aspect of it.

Many complaints are posted about lead time on Phantom repairs and availability of parts. Has this changed now with the release of this product?

How much are extra batteries? That camera is very vulnerable. One hard landing could easily take it out of service. How much to replace? I don't think it's as affordable to replace as a GoPro 4.

Just my .02 cents worth.