DJI F450/NAZA Flyaway

Tahoe Ed

Pleleades,

It is really easy with the Futaba. I have posted several links and I think a video on it. It has been a while so I am not sure and I am getting ready to go to bed. Also you have the option to set one of your mode switch positions as Failsafe.

Pleiades

First of all good deal on getting her back, that's awesome.

A question, I was looking at the Flytrex data too and was wondering if the altitude height is correct. Is the spot where it crashed really 500' higher than where you took off from? I'm asking because I'm interested in Flytrex now myself, just needs a way to transmit the data back real time and it'd be perfect. Imagine if it could, you would have known exactly where she went down. Flytrex would sell a bundle of these things if they can figure that out.

Lastly I set up a RTH switch on my T8FG Super, I can help. Give me a bit to type something up and add pics The RTH switch wasn't too hard, I even figured out the timers on a switch which was a bit harder but once I knew what was happening much easier.

By the way for the switch confusion what I plan to do is put different color shrink tube on some of the switches and jotting the color code on a card I can attach to the Tx handle until the switches are second nature.

You're right...Ive reviewed the data again and even taken my handheld GPS to check the altitude...The Flytrex is some 100m out....but the GPS data is spot on.

Also thanks for that info re setting the Tx...I'll have a go over the weekend

I have always put a label on my RC planes and multi's with my name and phone number and offer an unspecified reward.
It's helpful in getting it returned but also a double edged sword since it may come back with a letter from an attorney attached.

sledge57

You're right...Ive reviewed the data again and even taken my handheld GPS to check the altitude...The Flytrex is some 100m out....but the GPS data is spot on.

Also thanks for that info re setting the Tx...I'll have a go over the weekend

If you run into any issues pm me and I'll see if I can help.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Now Ive had time to think and review the Flytrex data Im pretty sure that the quad was behaving normally.
I reckon the problem was with the nut behind the Tx.
When it was so far away and I realised that I'd soon lose visual contact, I started to panic.
I thought I flipped it into Home lock, but Im pretty sure that I got the switches mixed up and put it into Atti
The quad did what it was told and carried on its merry way until I switched the Tx thus triggering RTH.
Obviously the Lipo died before it got back.

Ive had a look at the damage and have only had to order 4 new arms and one motor so I consider I got away fairly lightly.
All this has been a big wake up call to me, and I thank you guys for being so supportive.

I must learn how to program a failsafe switch on the Futaba 8FG
....can anyone point me in the right direction?

Just one pointer, get a label maker and mark what switch is programmed for what! when you get in a panic, calm yourself and select the correct switch and mode.

I have one switch dedicated for Failsafe and marked as that, one 3 position is marked Man, Atti, GPS. Another is markers for IOC, Off, Course lock, Home lock. One momentary switch for timer reset and the list goes on. It will help you, trust me.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Just one pointer, get a label maker and mark what switch is programmed for what! when you get in a panic, calm yourself and select the correct switch and mode.

I have one switch dedicated for Failsafe and marked as that, one 3 position is marked Man, Atti, GPS. Another is markers for IOC, Off, Course lock, Home lock. One momentary switch for timer reset and the list goes on. It will help you, trust me.

No way I am going to do that, means I would have to remove my goggles to read a label, best to just know what all my switches do instinctively.

Pete

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
No way I am going to do that, means I would have to remove my goggles to read a label, best to just know what all my switches do instinctively.

Pete

HAHA... I don't have the Goggles as yet, but it is a good idea if you panic.

topshots

Pleiades,

Just a word of warning, you should keep your aircraft below 400ft in Oz. Looking at your flytrex data your aircraft was in the middle of the approach path to Devonport airport, and at 1500ft would have been mighty close to an aircraft using the airport.

If you are going to post info of your flights above 400ft maybe remove your name and address of the flytrex website.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
yikes! please not again!

by the way, in looking at your heli, if the receiver wires on the Futaba are like the Hitec wires, then the antenna is only the last couple of inches and the rest of if is just lead to get it somewhere where the short ends can be placed. i might be wrong but if not, then those long pink tubes aren't necessary.

bart

Hi there! I am really sorry about your loss! I had a friend with the same issue and since then he has bought a cheap "spectrum analyser." We found out that at that park we were flying we get some odd bursts of a frequency the NAZA does not like. They are cheap and really worth it if you are flying multiple places or in crowded areas. Best of luck!

P.S. I use DJI arms and I right on my arms "Reward if found" along with my phone and email. It worked with my old planes and hopefully if it happens to me someone will want the "reward." :)

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
+1 on a frequency scanner. I have the RF Explorer 2.4GHz for only about £100. Great little gadget for piece of mind.

philg

I like a good ending to a sad story,the beast is back in yours hands with only minimal damage,nice.
Most of us have been there with a fly off of some description,makes the heart skip a beat that`s for sure.

coreyperez

Pleiades,

I just got my Flytrex and was getting ready to put on my 550 and thought that maybe the unit is messing with the GPS signal. How many flights have you had successfully before/since you used the flytrex.

Thanks,

Corey

coreyperez

Well I just gave the Flytrex a try. I was woefully umimpressed with the connectors/plugs that were included. Once I hooked up the Naza to the computer to ensure calibration I got a GPS error. I figured it was because of the flytrex and dismissed it after checking the connections. I checked solar data and seen there was rated as "Storm" but figured I'd give it a try anyway. So I took it out and realized right away there was a problem. I couldn't even get to the GPS calibration mode (flipping between GPS and ATTI/Manual at least 5 times). I tried this numerous times with no luck. I so went flying anyway. the Naza reported GPS signal issues the entire time but I flew it anyway.

Long story short, the poor design of the connectors etc (at a minimum) caused the GPS to not work in my instance. When I got back I noticed the GPS wire had wiggled out of the flytrex during flight. 100% no-go for my intended future use. There is no way this is acceptable to be a "in-between" link between something so vita AND be the weak link.

I also did not have any recorded data when I went and pulled the SD and went to upload it, the entire card was blank.

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND AGANST using the Flytrex. Poor design and development, poor instructions and a huge weak link in a vital system.

$50 wasted.

Corey

Last edited by a moderator:

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I know a lot of people that use Flytrex, never have I heard of the complaints you are referring to. In fact I started selling them, which makes me wonder, did you email flytrex or your dealer about the problems? The connections I feel are pretty good at least in the one I have, maybe the unit you have is defective? Contact your dealer or Flytrex before giving them such negative results.

coreyperez

Onestop,

As you stated the connections are “pretty good”, which easily implies “not good enough”, especially for an integral and important component such as the GPS. The unit I received only has one end of the supplied wire with a “clip” to secure it into the Flytrex unit. The NAZA GPS unit B A R E L Y even holds in with its own tension, FAR INSUPERIOR to what is actually required.

My opinion is based off my own, first hand use, not swayed by anything such as a “bottom line” of the accounts ledger. The unit needs to be improved and a way for the GPS wires to be secured PROPERLY.

Did I contact Flytrex or my dealer? No, why should I? Why should I keep this obvious problem under wraps so retailers can continue to sell a flawed product?

I currently have the GPS antenna wire taped into the Flytrex and will give it a try again, and even with this design, it’s not “tight”. It is my intention at the first indication of GPS malfunction that GPS/ATT switch is getting set to ATT and it’s coming home under my own control. Flytrex should NOT be considered “safe to use” when you wish to have a “Fail safe” mode with your NAZA. At this point, when the Flytrex installed I consider my Naza a “With-out RTH” device (due to the Flytrex).

The simplest solution would have been a “T-Connector” that fed BACK into the Flytrex, not THROUGH the Flytrex.

Don't get me started on being REQUIRED to use Facebook to sign into their website to upload/use the device... Their solution was to create a "blank" account just to log in. (blatant disregard to FB's policy).

Corey

Last edited by a moderator:

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I know a lot of people that use Flytrex, never have I heard of the complaints you are referring to. In fact I started selling them, which makes me wonder, did you email flytrex or your dealer about the problems? The connections I feel are pretty good at least in the one I have, maybe the unit you have is defective? Contact your dealer or Flytrex before giving them such negative results.

Had three flyers out using Disco Pro's with Flytrex's installed and they all worked flawlessly doing some speed runs, all of us were doing over 70mph and no issues.

Pete