DJI F450/NAZA Flyaway

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Onestop,

As you stated the connections are “pretty good”, which easily implies “not good enough”, especially for an integral and important component such as the GPS. The unit I received only has one end of the supplied wire with a “clip” to secure it into the Flytrex unit. The NAZA GPS unit B A R E L Y even holds in with its own tension, FAR INSUPERIOR to what is actually required.

My opinion is based off my own, first hand use, not swayed by anything such as a “bottom line” of the accounts ledger. The unit needs to be improved and a way for the GPS wires to be secured PROPERLY.

Did I contact Flytrex or my dealer? No, why should I? Why should I keep this obvious problem under wraps so retailers can continue to sell a flawed product?

I currently have the GPS antenna wire taped into the Flytrex and will give it a try again, and even with this design, it’s not “tight”. It is my intention at the first indication of GPS malfunction that GPS/ATT switch is getting set to ATT and it’s coming home under my own control. Flytrex should NOT be considered “safe to use” when you wish to have a “Fail safe” mode with your NAZA. At this point, when the Flytrex installed I consider my Naza a “With-out RTH” device (due to the Flytrex).

The simplest solution would have been a “T-Connector” that fed BACK into the Flytrex, not THROUGH the Flytrex.

Don't get me started on being REQUIRED to use Facebook to sign into their website to upload/use the device... Their solution was to create a "blank" account just to log in. (blatant disregard to FB's policy).

Corey

Hot glue is your friend and has always been the heli flyers friend.

coreyperez

I've just got back in from my 8th and 9th flight (flight 5 & 6 with it installed). Still not getting any data. Solid GPS lock again this time.

My computer said that the "drive/volume did not contain a recognized file system". I had just formatted it before going out yesterday when it wasn't working on the aircraft. At that point my computer recognized it as a available drive... Re-formatting it again.

A friend who is just starting the MR adventure pointed out "Don't you already have a Gamin wrist mount GPS?" So, next flight ill include my Garmin. At least I know that will work. Granted, I won't get a "Badge" but I also know it won't wipe out my GPS link.

You can't say I haven't been trying..

Corey

(Edit: CRAP! I forgot, Flight 3 & 4 I had forgot the SD card, so those don't really count)

Last edited by a moderator:

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Onestop,

As you stated the connections are “pretty good”, which easily implies “not good enough”

There is no need to twist my words, I am trying to help you out.

Did I contact Flytrex or my dealer? No, why should I? Why should I keep this obvious problem under wraps so retailers can continue to sell a flawed product?
Why should you? do I really need to tell you why you should contact your dealer or flytrex?

I currently have the GPS antenna wire taped into the Flytrex and will give it a try again, and even with this design, it’s not “tight”. It is my intention at the first indication of GPS malfunction that GPS/ATT switch is getting set to ATT and it’s coming home under my own control. Flytrex should NOT be considered “safe to use” when you wish to have a “Fail safe” mode with your NAZA. At this point, when the Flytrex installed I consider my Naza a “With-out RTH” device (due to the Flytrex).
Safety is now a concern of yours, previously you stated your GPS was not working (No Lock) yet you still flew. Now you are talking about safety! You noticed a problem and still went into the air, I think you should never of put it in the air if you knew you had a problem. Lets not play the victim here ok.

Don't get me started on being REQUIRED to use Facebook to sign into their website to upload/use the device... Their solution was to create a "blank" account just to log in. (blatant disregard to FB's policy).

Facebooks policy if I remember correctly is not to create multiple accounts, Flytrex is doing nothing wrong, they are calling a facebook API to access YOUR basic information, are you that important you feel the need to not share your BASIC information? I use the same API on my own forum to allow users to log in to my forums, there is no harm done.
You on the other hand broke Facebooks policy, no one else. If you did your research as mentioned before, you would know a Facebook account was required.

Good luck with your issue, hope you feel the need to contact your dealer or Flytrex.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
corey....it does sound like you might have a defective unit. but flytrex requires facebook to access customer service?

coreyperez

Alright, alright...

It was my fault! Below is my final email (regarding my Core problem). Its corrected, recording and I'm happy! (Unless I missed it, they need to update the information about required file system!!!)

Corey

Amit,

It’s been some work, (nearly 20 unsuccessful flights) but I’ve finally solved the mystery on my end. There were numerous problems, most of which I’m sure were my improper cable configuration.

The final solution:
This has to be plugged into the GPS, not PMU that the GPS is plugged into (I accidently used the wrong cable).

My Naza would typically get GPS lock, but sometimes wouldn’t, the Core never recorded flights. I never was aware until removing the Core that there was a LED indicator (nowhere mentions what the light is signaling). I’m not sure if there was any light indications when it was mounted inside the frame of the F550. Upon changing configuration (cable) I noticed two flashes, pause, two flashes…

The Core requires a file system (on the SD Card) of “FAT”, not NTFS (which I typically use).

I had tried FAT, FAT32, ExFat and NTFS previously with no luck, in hindsight the issue was the cable wasn’t connected properly.

After numerous different SD Cards (different classes, different manufactures, different formats) I’m successfully using a (Either Class 4 or 6) Sandisk 1GB MicroSD with a file system of FAT.

The only issue I still have is the NAZA GPS cable is unable to be properly secured in the Core. My current solution is using some tape to secure it to the core with a constant check before pre-flight (why it is currently mounted on top right next to the GPS). When it was in the frame, it was very hard to visually check that the cable was properly secured, and the main reason I used the wrong cable initially.

Thanks for your assistance, I’ll continue to keep an eye on the plug as I’ve tried numerous different methods to remove tension, and the current solution (while appearing to pull the cable out) actually is binding it, thus providing tension.

One last question. I showed a friend of mine (Currently in Korea as well) how fancy this device is now that I’ve got it working. My question is, what is your timetable for producing this device for different flight controllers? What information does this actually need from the Naza system? Could the end user just plug in a Naza GPS (with power) while it is attached to a different flight controller? It is my impression that the Core is figuring all the information out on its own, only using the Naza GPS for signal. I’ve currently got another multirotor (Quad with KK2.1) and looking to get a TBS Discovery with XAircraft SuperX and would love to have this on those aircraft as well. Could I possibly just branch power and GPS signal to the Core for GPS tracking?

Thanks,

Corey

I think everyone with a DJI product needs to write their name and address on their heli. This just happens way too much. Sorry you lost it but thankful no one got hurt.

Agreed! I think this should be a general rule for anyone flying at the edge of line of site or in an area where you cannot walk and get your craft in the event of a crash. Great rule that I use for all of my craft :)