Forming you own Protection Domes.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Guys this is just cool stuff !

The prices on these Domes normally and the shapes one could make I personally think make this a very fun project !

Boris

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
As far as i know its all the same lexan and makrolon just product names, the actual material is polycarbonate or ?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Not only domes but it would be cool to make a little acrylic adapter plate to use one of these at the end of the booms and cover it with a polycarbonate clear transparent shape:

View attachment 8229

At the same time why big domes. Make them formed to your components you have on your center plate. Only couple cm bigger than the components but double the strength. Would probably still be lighter and give more protection than these huge domes.

Boris

Attachments

• 26424.jpg
    26424.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 203

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Funny you posted this Boris, I've been working on a dome for my XY8 and have finally started pulling plastic. The plug is a material called Dura Bond that is normally used for spackling wall boards. The plastic is clear PETG. The only thing I'd recommend is that the plug be as perfect as possible. Every little dimple, scratch, dust spec, etc. on the plug shows up in the finished dome.

I like the extra space around the components as it gives some room for the dome to crush and not affect what's under it. The dome in the picture is more of a test run as the new frame plates are a slightly different shape.

View attachment 8235View attachment 8236

Attachments

• DSC03996.jpg
    DSC03996.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 344
  • DSC03997.jpg
    DSC03997.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 307

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Very nice Bart. Just for the fun of it I think I am going to try it out.

Do you think that sticking the Frame with the plastic into a normal kitchen oven would also work ? Just don't want to deal with another thing standing in my apartment :)

Agree on the space for a crush zone when it comes to a tower build like in your foto. I just think when it comes to a setup like this:

View attachment 8238

a complete dome is a overkill.

The shape you are pulling the plastic over it clay or ?

Thanks for the info.

Boris

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 299

Bartman

it wasn't shown in the photos but i made a frame to hold the plastic sheet so it cold be heated and then dropped in place over the mold. the frame fits in my kitchen oven and I use the broiler to heat the plastic. if you let the plastic get too soft you may see webbing develop in your parts so only heat the plastic enough to get the results you're looking for. it may take a few tries to get it just right. i've pulled six domes so far and there have been a few duds including one that i had to cut off the plug. compressed air blown under the molded plastic seems to be the best way to get everything separated.

for your heli i probably wouldn't make a tall dome but i'd want something that has enough room for air to move around and a crush zone above everything.

Bart

Bartman

The shape you are pulling the plastic over it clay or ?

the plug material is Dura Bond, it's like spackle that you would use to smooth out seams in wall-boards but it comes dry like plaster and chemically sets instead of just drying. it's hard and doesn't shrink much as it sets. i originally sculpted a mold with foam and wood then laid up fiberglass over the top of it to make a female mold. when that was done i poured the Dura-bond plug and spent some time smoothing it out after it cured. it's not the best material for the plug but it's been ok.

bart