DJI A2 Hands-on

sochin33

Are these FODs also happening with WKM and A2s that are on non-S800 frames with non-DJI motors/escs ?
What does DJI do when you have a documented FOD such as Boris showed ? Do they replace under warranty ? How about other damage such as gimbal, camera ?

Im getting more and more worried about my upcoming WKM X8 that I will receive in two weeks.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Sorry guys I have to clarify this !.

When the S800 came out the first preorder were delivered, there were issues with the ESCs. They didnt cause an FOD but they ran on high temps, so DJI sent out new ones and one had to switch them or repair the "faulty" ones by desolderng some resistors and using small wires instead etc.

Than there was the issues that several users reported FOD like in the video before. The reason for those were the GPS unit newer GPS units that were just released had an issue because the FW was faulty. Thus not all users experienced the problem since some still had older GPS units and in general the FOD didnt always happen with the faulty GPS untis.

DJI perfrormed 72 Hour tests like in the video:

Which eventually let them replicate the FOD and find the issue in the GPS units. It didnt matter if WKM was in GPS mode or not the FOD just happend also in attitude mode.

I dont want to cause a hysteria There is no worry that the FOD is present at the moment with the WKM. There is the possibility though that the A2 might suffer from it since several users have reported flips. A major difference though between the WKM and the A2 though is that if I understood it correclty DJI can update the FW of there individual components which was nocht possivle with the WKM. The reason why back than they sent out new GPS units and ddnt just create a update tool for the FW in the GPS units.

In the first place I posted the FOD video just to clarify what a FOD really is ! Its just important that a FOD is characterized correctly otherwise all of a sudden a ghost is created which doesnt help in the finding the real problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

fxdog

hmm in die video you posted above from another users it looks to me like a wrong orientation of the IMU ! Since there is no more arrow on the A2 imu, you are 100% sure you have it in the right direction in the Assistant ?

Boris
Quick update. So i found the issue. I had the gains set to default which is NOT what the manual recommends for a EVO. Once I plugged in the recommend gains then the problem was fixed. So far, knock on wood, it flys really nice. It feels more responsive then my S800 and I really dig both the bluetooth IOS app and the OSD II. I know the OSD has been around awhile but I had neither on my S800. Thanks again for all your help. Once I get the Gh3 zenmuse working I will report back.

Richard

kloner

Aerial DP
got my iosd mark 2 working with the newest iosd firmware. the osd works killer now, but it quit making logs. Anybody know what thats about?

rilot

Does anyone know when the A2 firmware is going to come out of beta? I'm a little nervous to maiden my S800 EVO on beta firmware. Or am I being silly?

ddikie

Does anyone know when the A2 firmware is going to come out of beta? I'm a little nervous to maiden my S800 EVO on beta firmware. Or am I being silly?

Not sure when but i have had about 30 flights on the A2 beta with no issues so far..fingers crossed!

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast

I have experienced DJI to be fair when you can proof that a crash or flip happened do to a bug in their software ! So if you fly it make sure to film it so you have proof when something happens !

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
ddikie, do you experience the problem that you have to recalibrate the compass on a regular basis otherwise you get yellow flashed and the motors dont start ?

Boris

ddikie

I recalibrate the compass at every new flight location even if its just a few Km away from the last shoot...never had the flashy yellow lights... the motors always start..had a few issues with getting into calibration mode but have figured that out now..after 6 ups and downs pause and then your good to calibrate...

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
yeah think something is wrong with my unit. Every reboot or lets say reboot over a period of time I get the yellow flashes and now all of a sudden i get green yellow which mean abnormal compass data. Think its better to get a new GPS unit

Boris

AirCamPro

We have been using the A2 for a few weeks now, two issues are concerning us.
1:- We have set voltage first level protection to LED Warnings & GH - Landing, When the A2 enters this mode the S800 EVO has stopped it's coarse, lowered the landing legs, hovered for a while then slowly descend.
About 5 to 6 meters from ground the motors dramatically reduced power and EVO simply dropped. Smashing the landing gear, our gimbal, lens 2x props and 2x arms. The Lipos measured 24% at this point.
We are not sure if we managed to switch to ALT or Man in time to save the system, if we did we did not manage to power up in time.
2:- 2nd EVO Sometimes when taking off the A2 tilts the EVO sharply forwards then up. This we suspected a re-call. This went away for 4 flights then flight 5 the A2 upon takeoff flipped the EVO over forwards taking out 2x Arm and 2x props and damaging the gimbal.

Moral is unless you want 2x S800 EVOs and gimbals lying in a heap at the back of the workshop DON'T FLY BETA firmware.
Clearly we are not very happy as both the EVOs were booked out for jobs next week, we should have stuck with the WM instead which we are VERY pleased with.
Next week we will be testing the Ace Wavepoint.

Regards
Anthony

Last edited by a moderator:

jazzboy

We have been using the A2 for a few weeks now, two issues are concerning us.
1:- We have set voltage first level protection to LED Warnings & GH - Landing, When the A2 enters this mode the S800 EVO has stopped it's coarse, lowered the landing legs, hovered for a while then slowly descend.
About 5 to 6 meters from ground the motors dramatically reduced power and EVO simply dropped. Smashing the landing gear, our gimbal, lens 2x props and 2x arms. The Lipos measured 24% at this point.
We are not sure if we managed to switch to ALT or Man in time to save the system, if we did we did not manage to power up in time.
2:- 2nd EVO Sometimes when taking off the A2 tilts the EVO sharply forwards then up. This we suspected a re-call. This went away for 4 flights then flight 5 the A2 upon takeoff flipped the EVO over forwards taking out 2x Arm and 2x props and damaging the gimbal.

Moral is unless you want 2x S800 EVOs and gimbals lying in a heap at the back of the workshop DON'T FLY BETA firmware.
Clearly we are not very happy as both the EVOs were booked out for jobs next week, we should have stuck with the WM instead which we are VERY pleased with.
Next week we will be testing the Ace Wavepoint.

Regards
Anthony
Yikes, that's a lot of damage!

AirCamPro

Still not had any reply from Dji regarding the above issues.

Today we have a new one. In Alt mode we are getting 2x continuance green flashes and in GPS mode 2x Blue continuance flashes. The small status LED next to the USB port is red (indicating abnormal). Nothing has changed with the system all was working well up until today.
I can't find any reference to this sequence in the manual. Any ideas. The only thing I can note is if the throttle is at 50% (center) this changes to 1x Green or 1x Blue. To me this would appear to relate to POI mode or Ground station mode warning that the throttle is not set at mid position. However it is neither in POI or connected to ground station. Connecting to assist shows no errors and all looks well.

Any ideas? (v2.00 beta)

Joepapa

Good lord...Im flying the A2 and couldn't be more pleased. The WKM doesn't compare. Have you considered raising the GPS antenna higher? In the software, under tools, you can monitor GPS and IMU data in real time. Wave your cell phone over the antenna, and the GPS will go wild. These things need to be away from everything. Once, on the WKM, I had the GPS ant too close to the batteries, and it wouldn't even go into GPS Atti.

kloner

Aerial DP
the latest firmware isn't beta, 2.1

love that a2, but that said i'm gonna start looking more open mindedly at other options. Got a super X sitting here,,,, need new, like a new piece of tail

I only calibrated once in 40 flights, never seen weird lights, it always just works.