DJI A2 Hands-on

kloner

Aerial DP
i can't get my iosd mark II to talk to the a2..... is it normal for that to work effortlessly? no logs, no data

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Ed... I don't know how this forum handles shills but members need to be aware that your compensated by DJI and Empire Hobby to post on all the forums you can in support of their product. All of your product is provided to you FREE of charge.
Anyone can search your posts and see that you never post an issue although you do post them to the DJI Team. I think it would be in the best interest of the forum and it's members to know when you post it is in the best interest of DJI

Shill: A shill is a person who publicly helps a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with the person or organization."Shill" typically refers to someone who purposely gives onlookers the impression that they are an enthusiastic independent customer of a seller (or marketer of ideas) for whom they are secretly working. The person or group who hires the shill is using crowd psychology to encourage other onlookers or audience members to purchase the goods or services (or accept the ideas being marketed). Shills are often employed by professional marketing campaigns.

How do I know this? I was on Team DJI as is Ed and 3 others until they required that we keep all issues off the forum and not report anything negative. To me that is not tech support. That is a cover up and I will not be both a member and a shill for anyone. If anyone feels this information is false I have every e-mail that the Team copies us on. If you want to know who the other members are, just PM me.

Forums should be a place to come for honest information about a product. Not to be filled with false information from compensated members.

I cant`t talk for ED. But to tell the truth I was aware that he is somehow linked to DJI, makes it obvious from the posts in Rcgroups. Don't know if he gets paid or just parts for free, but at the same time he has spent a lot of time in the forums and has helped people! I have also seen him announce and admit to obvious bugs etc. So personally don't see it as that dramatic !

I think i have stated this before, but I also have the "luck" to get stuff for free from DJI to test and report back and start threads concerning their product ! By reading through my threads though i guess you can see that i take a objective stand and state if something doesn't work for me !

Taking up the A2 on my x8 the first time on sunday and my AQ x8, keep you fingers crossed that they come back in the same state :)

View attachment 14849

Attachments

• P1010288.jpg
    P1010288.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 256

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
i can't get my iosd mark II to talk to the a2..... is it normal for that to work effortlessly? no logs, no data

Ill try it out later and see what happens with mine. With WKM there wasnt any real hassle to get it to work. Could be thought that the OSD need an upgrade thats not out yet !

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
actually no i wont fly on sunday, heard some other news that flips are still present i just cant risk it ! The gear is just to expensive for such stunts !

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Guys who has an overview, whats really the issue now ? Flips issue with radio other than s-bus or traditional connection ? Faulty GPS units etc.

As far as I remember WKM issues were given once with a fault FW on the GPS units that couldnt not be updated, thus new version were sent out. Whats happening now people are getting normal flips in attitude mode or in GPS mode.

For me my PPM Radio issues are not given anymore after updating my Jeti receivers and the newest A2 FW it seems to work on the desk.

Thanks

Boris

flybee

Guys who has an overview, whats really the issue now ? Flips issue with radio other than s-bus or traditional connection ? Faulty GPS units etc.

As far as I remember WKM issues were given once with a fault FW on the GPS units that couldnt not be updated, thus new version were sent out. Whats happening now people are getting normal flips in attitude mode or in GPS mode.

For me my PPM Radio issues are not given anymore after updating my Jeti receivers and the newest A2 FW it seems to work on the desk.

Thanks

Boris

Hello Boris!

I had a FOD at 17.11.2013 with my HighEnd machine (SkyJib X8 / Herkules III / KW 10 ...)!
Currently I have sent all available data to DJI! Also the hardware is on the way!
I will give you information when I have a feedback from DJI.

Best
Bernie

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I would have a hard time considering that the radio our used protocol could be the origin of the problem. Wrong ppm input leading to a flip would be strange. Would mean bird goes to manual and gets a full stick input. If the flips are similar to the previous wkm episode than they are much to extreme to be false stick info input !

Thanks flybee. Found a second user in a German forum who sent in his stuff and he will also report back !

Boris

Tahoe Ed

I have not been able to fly my A2 much. Weather issues in Vegas and my work schedule. I did have one flip on my S800 while taking off in GPS. It was recommended that I try ATTI to try and isolate what is going on. I am currently flying with my Futaba 8FGS using the internal receiver. It will be next weekend until I will be able to fly again. Doing some family time this weekend and no multi-rotors were harmed during this time. My firmware is the v2.0. I don't think it is a firmware/software issue and not everyone is experiencing it. It could be some faulty GPS units. My first A2 would not enter into compass calibration. Never figured that one out. I just replaced the unit.

fxdog

Hi Guys, Im new to this board. Just got around to putting my A2/Evo together and on my first test flight It wanted to flip on take off. I checked all the normal stuff and everything is hooked up correct. Also I tested the motors via the iOS app and all the motors trigger in the right order and turn in the proper direction. So i'm at a loss what to due next. The only thing I'm not clear on is the flashing green light from the IMU. Should it be constant? Can anyone with a properly working A2 check the normal operation of the status light on the IMU? Its on the right side; kinda hidden. The manual makes no mention of its operation. I tried contacting DJI and my dealer but its been over a week and no info.

It tries to flip both in GPS mode and Alti mode

thanks,

richard

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Guys, Im new to this board. Just got around to putting my A2/Evo together and on my first test flight It wanted to flip on take off. I checked all the normal stuff and everything is hooked up correct. Also I tested the motors via the iOS app and all the motors trigger in the right order and turn in the proper direction. So i'm at a loss what to due next. The only thing I'm not clear on is the flashing green light from the IMU. Should it be constant? Can anyone with a properly working A2 check the normal operation of the status light on the IMU? Its on the right side; kinda hidden. The manual makes no mention of its operation. I tried contacting DJI and my dealer but its been over a week and no info.

It tries to flip both in GPS mode and Alti mode

thanks,

richard

Hi Richard, normally there is no "tries to flip" in a FOD, its just happens and you cant prevent it, there is no way to take the throttle away to stop it from doing it ! Take this though with a grain of salt since i haven't experience it with the A2 yet and only refer how it was with the WKM.

Although flying DJI FCs from the beginning till today I am not sure what the status LED in the IMU indicates and request for clearing it up werent answered from DJI. If anyone knows would be cool to drop a line !

Think it also necessary to keep it in perspective so this is a classical flip of death:

What mode are you trying to take off in GPS Attiude manual etc ?

Boris

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
It shouldn't want to flip on take off. Don't worry about the green light in the IMU. That's not your problem. Did you calibrate it before the test outside with everything plugged in? In the assistant is the correct orientation of the IMU checked and the correct hexacopter setup (I think hexa V for S800)?

When you say it wants to flip, are you slowly increasing the throttle and it leans a little bit to one side? They don't like being controlled on the ground. When it wants to flip apparently it really flips, and hard. At least that's how people have described it.

100% sure your transmitter is giving the correct controls in the assistant and the little sliders are moving the correct way for each input?

Oh, and hows your center of gravity? All balances nicely in the middle I hope when you balance it on your fingers.

Cool?

fxdog

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your input. I will triple check everything again and if the problem continues I will post a video. One thing I know the center of gravity is off; I don't currently have the gimbal installed and the battery alone makes it rear heavy. The only thing I would add is I also have an older S800 and it flies fine without the gimbal (out of balance) and the flip direction seems to be random and not based on the balance. I do plan on balancing the evo but wanted to do an early test.

here is a video buy another A2 user that acts the same way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jOvVGyu-PI

cheers,

Richard

fxdog

Hi Richard, normally there is no "tries to flip" in a FOD, its just happens and you cant prevent it, there is no way to take the throttle away to stop it from doing it ! Take this though with a grain of salt since i haven't experience it with the A2 yet and only refer how it was with the WKM.

Although flying DJI FCs from the beginning till today I am not sure what the status LED in the IMU indicates and request for clearing it up werent answered from DJI. If anyone knows would be cool to drop a line !

Think it also necessary to keep it in perspective so this is a classical flip of death:

Boris

Hi Boris,

Thanks for the video. I'm not getting a FOD. I can't get off the ground. I'm gonna check over everything again but I still would like to know what the status indicator on the IMU means.

thanks,

Richard

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
hmm in die video you posted above from another users it looks to me like a wrong orientation of the IMU ! Since there is no more arrow on the A2 imu, you are 100% sure you have it in the right direction in the Assistant ?

Boris

Boris

This video literally makes me sick. I can feel for the owner and not only could he have been seriously hit had it taken off for his face, there's hundreds in repairs needed.
Of course the bricks acted like a magnet... It could have flipped into the grass and been limited to broken arms. There are dozens of videos posted with the Wookong doing the same.
To release product after product after product with issues is beyond me not to mention the same damn issue the Wookong had.

maxwelltub

Ya I'm not making any claim about changes or improvements, I just clarifying what was happening in that video of the fod.