Connectors for 8 awg

Bowley

Whats the best battery connector to use with 8 AWG wire? seems 5.5mm bullets is really the only option. Not comfortable soldering that size of wire onto Deans.
could do with some advice

Thanks

Steve

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Steve,

The trick with Deans connectors and heavy guage wire is to have the wire ready to melt onto the Deans tab before placing it on the tab. Get it hot to the point that the solder is fluid, put it on the tab and get the iron on it, when the solder on the tab melts add a little more solder, count to two and pull the iron. i kept the iron on there a little too long in the video.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowley

OK so I'm going to make up an adaptor, Ive done 12 and 10 looks do'able from Barts vid but I think 8 AWG is just pushing it a bit for a Deans

If you must use 8 awg, which I consider excessively larger for anything smaller than a Nuclear Power facility ;-)....... I would avoid using the Deans plug. The airgap between terminals is too small and there is not spearating insulation except for your heat shrink which is not intended to function as an insulator but just for protection and cosmetics.

ChrisViperM

After a lot of tryal and error, I use EC5 plugs for fat cables. There are 2 different types on the market....some got "banana-style" and some got "bullet-style" males. You want the bullet style:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-EC5-Bullet-Connectors-Plugs-Male-Female-Losi-/280741842660 ...this link is just to show how they look like....you get them a lot cheaper if you Google around.

If the wire is still too thick, just tin the end with solder, let it cool and use a Dremel tool to make the diameter to your needs.....works perfect.

One last trick: If you stick the connector in their plastic housing, wait a little bit after soldering to let it cool down just a bit, but insert them as long as it is still reasonable hot.....makes inserting easyer but will still hold them in place.

Chris

Bowley

Think I'll go along the same lines as you guys for my 4S stuff. EC5's or PRC6's
Thanks for the advice.

Bowley

Attachments

• 258000002(1).jpg
    258000002(1).jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 302

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i believe those connectors do not have specific battery or heli side pieces. As such they should be kept away from small children who might decide to connect two batteries together which could possibly start a fire very quickly.

my son almost did this about 18 months ago with two Turnigy batteries that had the standard connectors on them which also don't have specific battery or heli side parts.

i gotta say, i crack up at people that claim Deans are no good. they might not be the best and for years they been a hell of a rip off but to say they're no good goes against years of successful use by thousands and thousands of people of all skill levels. i'm still trying to decide what connector i'll be using when i switch to 6S packs this season.

don't know why Zippy uses 8 AWG, it's overkill.

Bowley

I know, its crazy, my 4000 4S Gens Ace have 12 AWG,, no problems there. Never had an issue with Deans but I think I'll go with EC5 or HXT6 for my 4S stuff. warning noted, thanks.

kloner

Aerial DP
Deans work great, they just have a rating, and it's 60 amps

The way i think Barts gotten away with it is you run two, one on each pack, your rig under my weight/prop/motor regularly hits 120 amps, it's about 48-49mph.......... if an fpv guy was going to run it on up to 140amp that i see regularly trying to make it go faster for extended lengths of time, said guy wouldn't be too surprised if it browned out......... Yours is right on the edge in the 4s configs your flying it. Russian Roulette comes to mind

I was building my ZXL, carries 2650 6s packs times 2,,,, i did a new deans connector the way i always have and the dumb thing would contact, not make contact (double boot plugged in, reboot touched). In a ship like that, it's the difference of being able to fly 15 minutes or 30 minutes............ and who would know which way it would be on any given day..... that was the last straw

5000mah, 40c would be a pack capable of 200 amps,,,,,,,,,,, should they put 14g so it's easy to solder or 8g so it can carry the rated output? Electronics is math, not guessing. Components to make a certain amp output have to have certain sized components to do it

Last edited by a moderator: