Camera suggestions

Kilby

Hey everyone,

I wanted to ask for some recommendations for a new camera. Here is what I'm looking for...

As my fiance and I prepare to take our honeymoon in June we realized that our point and shoot is finally dead and needs to be replaced. I'd love to be able to find something that I could use both for normal everyday photography as well as something that might double as an upgraded AP camera (currently just using GoPro HD). I would probably stay away from something as large as a traditional DSLR (don't think I can handle that payload right now), but I could probably go with something as heavy as the Sony Alpha NEX-5K, but that is probably the limit (i'm flying a tricopter, so less props to support the payload). Something that can also shoot video would be a plus, but not required.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I usually spend hours researching this kind of thing myself, but I trust the experience of this crew and would love to hear what is being used by others.

jes1111

Canon S90 - tiny, really good lens and sensor, perfect for the pocket and great for AP. Since Canon released the S95 (which only adds HD video) the S90 is available at deep discounts. Go S95 if you want the HD video.

Next step up: Panasonic GF-2 - interchangeable lenses, Four Thirds size sensor, etc. Why not the Sony NEX5? Because it doesn't have video out and only has infra-red remote, whereas the Panasonic has standard video out and mechanical remote capability.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
great summary jes1111. that's the market in a nutshell, including the video-out summary.

newbs, video-out allows you to shoot while also displaying a live view of what the camera sees. if the camera can display it then you can also wire it to a video transmitter and watch from the safety of your position on the ground. it's a big help for setting up photos, unless of course you can harness the force like our resident Jedi master, RHP

Kilby

Thanks, Jes1111. I just took a look though and Amazon actually sells the s95 cheaper than the s90. I wonder why that is?

Also, does the Cannon have a timed picture mode where it will snap off photos at a preset time interval? This is how I do my AP with the GoPro currently, I just set it up to snap one every 2 seconds and then I don't have to have a servo on-board to push the button.

Bartman

i believe Droider was in search of an answer for that same question. he'll check in at some point and probably answer very promptly. you can also PM him by finding one of his posts and clicking on his name in the left column. a small window will open when you click his name, just click on private message and shoot him the question directly.

CopterCam

The S90/95 is ideal for AP for all the reasons previously stated. When looking for Video out some cameras will support this in preview but not in 'record' mode. This may not be a problem for AP but for AV the image will be lost, so certainly useless for FPV.

I have used various cameras from the Lumix range from Panasonic and there was a hack available to enable live Video out in 'Record' mode for the older models but with the current models such as the LX3/LX5, this to my knowledge, is not possible. Such a shame because these particular models are superb in every other department.

Sid

Kilby

Fortunately, I have a dedicated camera on-board for FPV, so the video out feature is not a deal breaker for me.

After looking around some I found this review of the s95 that had me a little worried. I know that you can't go by just one review, but I can't imagine this guy made everything up, there has to be some basis to his statements. The one thing that worried me the most was the lack of auto focus while capturing video. Has anyone had any experience with that?

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2Q3CWOXGN4VD6/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R2Q3CWOXGN4VD6

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Also, does the Cannon have a timed picture mode where it will snap off photos at a preset time interval? This is how I do my AP with the GoPro currently, I just set it up to snap one every 2 seconds and then I don't have to have a servo on-board to push the button.

No is the answer to that one.. not that I could find anyhow. I thought I found one in the form of a Ricoh CX4. The one thing it did not tell me on all the reviews and stuff was it was limited to 10 shots at five second intervals. I believe the easiest way to achieve what you want is to get a Canon and use the hack that installs new functions one of which is timelapse/interval like the GoPro which you can set up. RTryder has one that he uses.

Not sure the compact Canons shoot Raw though. If this is not important I believe it is the easiest solution.

I have the NEX5 and Gentled trigger system. works well and the image quality is outstanding. I looked at the Panasonic G2 but I thought they had removed the input for mechanical triggering and it is heavier than the Nex5.. Could be wrong. I love the Lumix cameras, I have a TZ10. The video is amazing and it autofocuses. Unfortunately there is no way of taking stills remotely with it.

I have not gone down the FPV route of framing shots, I position the ADX3 and then start taking the photos from different highest and different angles. If I build a heavier lift MR I will go down the Canon 550d as it is called over here, anyhow the same one Bart has.

Hope that helps

jes1111

Some people just can't be satisfied... that guy on the Amazon review wants all the features/facilities of a top-of-the-line DSLR in a camera the size of a cigarette pack! Sheesh!

btw, autofocus for video is a bad idea. Even if it worked properly (which it wouldn't - it will "hunt" as objects move in the frame), video is much better/easier with manual focus.

All the facts and opinions that matter on the S90 and S95 at DPReview.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
No is the answer to that one.. not that I could find anyhow. I thought I found one in the form of a Ricoh CX4. The one thing it did not tell me on all the reviews and stuff was it was limited to 10 shots at five second intervals. I believe the easiest way to achieve what you want is to get a Canon and use the hack that installs new functions one of which is timelapse/interval like the GoPro which you can set up. RTryder has one that he uses.

Not sure the compact Canons shoot Raw though. If this is not important I believe it is the easiest solution.

Hope that helps

Yes, a Canon that will load CHDK is the way to go, you can then run the configurable intervalometer script to get as many shots as you like at whatever interval you want to use. You can get all the info here... http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK along with a list of supported cameras.

CHDK also allows the small P & S models to shoot RAW if that is a requirement and it does a lot of other things that I never knew I needed a small camera to do. Honestly I don't use most of the capabilities, just being able to set my SX 200 up to continuously shoot stills while in flight is enough for me.

If you want a good camera for not a lot of $ there's still deals to be had on the SX 200 out there and it has very similar features to the S90 but with a 12 megapixel sensor, I bought mine refurb instead of new and got it for right around $200.

Ken

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I would like to revive this thread with a new comparison. Canon's t2i/t3i vs. GH2.

I own a Canon 7d and am very happy with it in every way. But I decided to go with the GH2 for my AP/AV work as it is a bit lighter and supposedly has less rolling shutter issues along with NO moire. But after trying it out, the first things I realized were that I had to convert everything to view on the mac. Mac's dont understand .MTS files. They can be directly imported into almost any NLE or AE but I dont like having to start a project just to view what I shot. With this major issue aside I am not thrilled with the video. Everyone says how sharp and great this thing is and I have seen wonderful video but most of my footage has horrible gradient banding issues. Also, it shoots 1080 60i not 30p so things need to be de interlaced to view it on my monitor properly. Another conversion! I am hoping there are some magic settings to get better video. As my paying jobs are AP and not video it is less of an issue but I do want to use the video for personal use. But having a Canon and glass I am considering returning tha camera and going back to the t3i. Does anyone other than Jeff Scholl use the GH2 for AP. The other thing that I am thinking is that in order to get smooth video we need 60 fps. So that eliminates most any amateur camera from 1080p. There is the panasonic TM 90/900 that has 1080 60p but that is video only. Hmmmm.... The Sony Nex 7 is coming out soon and that will do it all, I think. Help! I only have another week to return this.

krleas

FPV Freak
I have Sony Nex5 on quad AD4 HL, i can say only this. ITs awsome, hardly waiting for new one with 1080 60p.

Stacky

windhorny, is your AP work stills or video or both?. Have you considered getting a dedicated video camera for the video work?. If you are using a stills camera with video ability you will still need to land and switch to stills if in video mode so the advantage of having one camera that does both is only in money saved. You are most likely to get better quality video from a decent dedicated video camera if you can afford to have both options.
I have the t3i and to be honest its not much of an improvement on the t2i, in fact its got the same sensor. It now has a flippable lcd viewer which is probably the major change, the rest of the changes are subtle things.
There is a conversion tool that most video guys use for Mac and its called mpeg streamclip if you havent heard of it. I use it a lot, especially for batch processing.
Im interested to know where moire would be a problem with AP?. I havent come across that as an issue yet so a heads up would be handy thanks.

Bartman

I would like to revive this thread with a new comparison. Canon's t2i/t3i vs. GH2.

I own a Canon 7d and am very happy with it in every way. But I decided to go with the GH2 for my AP/AV work as it is a bit lighter and supposedly has less rolling shutter issues along with NO moire. But after trying it out, the first things I realized were that I had to convert everything to view on the mac. Mac's dont understand .MTS files. They can be directly imported into almost any NLE or AE but I dont like having to start a project just to view what I shot. With this major issue aside I am not thrilled with the video. Everyone says how sharp and great this thing is and I have seen wonderful video but most of my footage has horrible gradient banding issues. Also, it shoots 1080 60i not 30p so things need to be de interlaced to view it on my monitor properly. Another conversion! I am hoping there are some magic settings to get better video. As my paying jobs are AP and not video it is less of an issue but I do want to use the video for personal use. But having a Canon and glass I am considering returning tha camera and going back to the t3i. Does anyone other than Jeff Scholl use the GH2 for AP. The other thing that I am thinking is that in order to get smooth video we need 60 fps. So that eliminates most any amateur camera from 1080p. There is the panasonic TM 90/900 that has 1080 60p but that is video only. Hmmmm.... The Sony Nex 7 is coming out soon and that will do it all, I think. Help! I only have another week to return this.

wouldn't recommend a t3i. it's the same as the t2i except for the moveable LCD and other subtle changes.

i'd pull the LCD altogether if i could to save weight but there's no sense in having it moveable for AP/AV if it costs more.

my two cents. after dinner i have to make a list from this thread of all the terms i don't understand so i can research them.

bart

mbsteed

aerial video centric
I have been thinking of either the Panasonic TH700/900 or the Canon Vixia G10 as video cameras, if a person just wants video this is probably the way to go. I suspect the quality of the video is on par with the t2i or even 7D but with less weight. I have a G10 or S90 for stills.

On the issue of bringing in 7D video in have you tried FCPx? I suspect it would work but don't know for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

jes1111

I'd agree that a dedicated video camera is likely to give better results. Interestingly, since a camcorder is likely to be lighter than a DSLR, it will be more difficult to isolate it from vibration. Good idea seems to be to strap your batteries to the mount to supplement its mass - whatever anti-vibe devices you have should then work better.

Bartman

jes1111,
i'm breaking from conventional wisdom after today. i flew a gopro and it had a pretty smooth ride. vid is in the vid thread.
bart