Camera gimbal stabilisation system

Macsgrafs

Because you have made the wrong assumption that where and how you mount the imu has no bearing, I will once again say it. it is the fundamental element in how inner axis systems work. when I get unsavory remarks from people the first thing I do is research their work, if it is typical amatuer stuff then their is no point in talking because they have nothing to give back in return I learned that a long time ago. This business is all about takers!!! If I tell you how to do it you will go around telling the world that you created it.

Denny, I dont think anyone made the wrong assumption, but your previous answers were very contradicting, hence why I sent you a PM, which I hope you will reply to!!!

so let's see if I have understood you this time, apologies if not. You are saying mount the IMU on the main MR & control your gimbal that way, but what happens if its a 360 degree pan gimbal....the servo wires will rip off?

Ross

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
ross
mount it to a plate on the camera mount that is representative of level in 2D when the kopter is level in 2D (pitch and roll) but not on the camera tray.

Macsgrafs

Attachments

• gimbal1.jpg
    gimbal1.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 322

Bartman

i believe so yes but more isolated from the movements of the mount if you could. could you put it on the kopter and then just limit the pan of the camera?

Macsgrafs

i believe so yes but more isolated from the movements of the mount if you could. could you put it on the kopter and then just limit the pan of the camera?

I did think this Bart, but then it would take away my 360 degree ability, which i need for high speed panning as in some sports scenes (I live on the coast).

Ross

DennyR

George is a lovely straight guy who will do everything he can for you. His product has to try and deal with a lot of variable issues that are beyond his control. He must be under considerable stress as he also has a very demanding full time job.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I did think this Bart, but then it would take away my 360 degree ability, which i need for high speed panning as in some sports scenes (I live on the coast).

Ross

In the absence of any physical or photographic evidence I remain unconvinced and will wait for tangible results from three different camera mounts, each with a different stabilisation drive and each with a different IMU mounting aspect. I do accept that with the level of technology we are currently using the results are never going to be more than reasonable at best but I still look forward to seeing photographic proof of the differences between OFF and ON axis mounting of the IMU.

Last edited by a moderator:

krachbummente89

Hey there,
im new here and i don't want wo annoy with an offtopic post or something, but i'm having some real troubles with my picloc3x...
The biggest problem is, that with the new firmware installed ( HD55 x3) my computer doesn't allow me to switch on "continous updates"...otherwise the picloctool crashes.
Even after going back to the HD55 firmware ( the version i had installed on it before) my computer gives me the same errormessage: the value 6000 is invalid.
I hope that someone of you can help me out.

RotorTalk

No Longer Active
George Mamo is nothing less than a luminary in this field. What he's designed is groundbreaking. He had to manually fix/alter the first batch he had from China and had a load of issues to sort out - as well as a day job. His first priority was and still is his existing customers - quite right too. AS I understand it he is about to do another production run with the new partner in China. Yes he has a had a few firmware issues but if you take a close look at his videos you'll see that where he's headed, no one else is remotely near. As and when George's 2nd production run is available I will be the first to buy one.

As for other options right now?:

1.) PhotoHigher are imminently releasing their own servo housed controller
2.) HoverFly have a dedicated gimbal controller coming out in 2 months
3.) DJI will build one into their new ZenMuse gimbal and already have it in their Wookong-M controller (you need Futaba S-BUS for Octos)
4.) The FeiyuTech FY-30A seems to jitter on a AV200 with the new Savox digital servos... I'm not sure this unit counts as a controller
5.) Separate tail gyros
6.) separate multirotor controller

Bartman

George Mamo is nothing less than a luminary in this field. What he's designed is groundbreaking. He had to manually fix/alter the first batch he had from China and had a load of issues to sort out - as well as a day job. His first priority was and still is his existing customers - quite right too. AS I understand it he is about to do another production run with the new partner in China. Yes he has a had a few firmware issues but if you take a close look at his videos you'll see that where he's headed, no one else is remotely near. As and when George's 2nd production run is available I will be the first to buy one.

As for other options right now?:

1.) PhotoHigher are imminently releasing their own servo housed controller
2.) HoverFly have a dedicated gimbal controller coming out in 2 months
3.) DJI will build one into their new ZenMuse gimbal and already have it in their Wookong-M controller (you need Futaba S-BUS for Octos)
4.) The FeiyuTech FY-30A seems to jitter on a AV200 with the new Savox digital servos... I'm not sure this unit counts as a controller
5.) Separate tail gyros
6.) separate multirotor controller

You forgot to mention that Mikrokopter has camera stabilization and control in their flight control board. With a capable mount the Mikrokopter flight control can provide very competent stabilization.

RotorTalk

No Longer Active
You are absolutely right... although I detect a move toward dedicated gimbal controllers in the long-term. The probable reason I didn't mention MK was because of the premium they add to their pricing if you use the controller for professional work ;-) Plus - I chose DJI...

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Well there is another system you left out - probably because no one has ever heard of it - if you want to keep things really simple. Go look HERE.

Last edited by a moderator:

Macsgrafs

Well there is another system you left out - probably because no one has ever heard of it - if you want to keep things really simple. Go look HERE.

I can forsee problems with those servos..namely if you move them a small amount like on a gimbal, they centre to the new position!!!

Bartman

the little gyro/servo's have a limited tolerance for gearing with a range from 1:2 to 2:1. with that, deadband becomes an issue because it's tough to filter it out with gearing at 2:1 so you'd have to address it some other way.
any wiggles about the center and the video will show it.
all in all it's a slick idea if you ask me. thanks for mentioning it MBF.

Bartman

Here's an interesting story on the GS-1 servos from Dunehaven systems. I read the guy's website where he describes his professional design services for electronics software and hardware. I emailed to ask about the servos and in the follow-up I suggested that a video only, HDMI to analog converter with a small footprint would be a very marketable and worthwhile project. His reply didn't address a single issue with the request but instead said,

"I guess if it was me, I'd switch to a camera that outputs composite video."

His name is Scott Armitage and he seems to be yet another d-bag floating around the internet universe.

Thanks but no thanks on the servos ****head.

Bart