Beginner Seeking Advice [Aerial Film/Photo]

PCMAerial

Looks like no purchase for today. Refund hasn't come back in, so the $$ will be tied up until I get the refund from UAV Products. Praying I can find another f550 kit thats actually in stock by the time my refund is fulfilled. Frustrating, but everything happens for a reason

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Looks like no purchase for today. Refund hasn't come back in, so the $$ will be tied up until I get the refund from UAV Products. Praying I can find another f550 kit thats actually in stock by the time my refund is fulfilled. Frustrating, but everything happens for a reason

Hang in there. It's coming. Very soon!

Jaybeast

@motopreserve, yes the crane gimbal is a servo gimbal and while they are out of vogue, it does provide a few benefits as a starter gimbal.
First it was relatively inexpensive when I bought it used over a year and a half ago. Second, it's fairly light and doesn't need a separate control board. This was important since overall weight of the rig is a concern. Third, it can fit a gopro or my Sony nex and attach and balance easily on the f550 frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
@motopreserve, yes the crane gimbal is a servo gimbal and while they are out of vogue, it does provide a few benefits as a starter gimbal.
First it was relatively inexpensive when I bought it used over a year and a half ago. Second, it's fairly light and doesn't need a separate control board. This was important since overall weight of the rig is a concern. Third, it can fit a gopro or my Sony nex and attach and balance easily on the f550 frame.

That's great to know Jay. I had just mentioned that I didn't know of a gimbal that could handle both cameras. But it makes sense that a servo might be able to handle the difference in weight. Although I've read the posts, I have never been one of the people to trash-talk the servo gimbals out of hand. The only drawback I can see now is that the entire industry steam-rolled past that technology so quick that they've probably stopped innovating in that area.

How does it handle it when you swap cameras? Do you have to adjust for it in the FC software? I'm assuming you run DJI FC?

thanks!

PCMAerial

May have to look into that for a gimbal that supports my GoPro and lumix .

Still no refund from UAV products, now playing the waiting game while my $$ is up in the air. Bummer, will keep checking!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
May have to look into that for a gimbal that supports my GoPro and lumix .

Still no refund from UAV products, now playing the waiting game while my $$ is up in the air. Bummer, will keep checking!

Did you see the place I linked above that has the f550 in stock? They are selling a kit with the gimbal - but I think the gimbal may come separate - so maybe you can ask them to split the kit???

PCMAerial

Where did you find this gimbal at? Would love to find something that I can start out with a GoPro, and transition to a better camera (Nex/gh/etc) without purchasing two gimbals. Thanks!

Stacky

That's great to know Jay. I had just mentioned that I didn't know of a gimbal that could handle both cameras. But it makes sense that a servo might be able to handle the difference in weight. Although I've read the posts, I have never been one of the people to trash-talk the servo gimbals out of hand. The only drawback I can see now is that the entire industry steam-rolled past that technology so quick that they've probably stopped innovating in that area.

How does it handle it when you swap cameras? Do you have to adjust for it in the FC software? I'm assuming you run DJI FC?

thanks!

The servo technology had been used for years in gimbals. It wasnt a case of the industry steam rolling past the servo technology, more the industry finding something that finally solved many of the issues caused by servo based gimbals. There is still some innovation going on with the Ecilop guys latest efforts however most are moving towards the development of the far better for video brushless based systems.

To the OP, if you are only wanting to take still photos then a servo based gimbal will do the job perfectly and will provide the option to buy just one gimbal for the 2 different camera sizes you want. However if you want to take video as well and heading down the brushless path, the best approach would be to start with a gopro brushless gimbal but to know that ultimately the cheaper option will be to buy a gopro brushless gimbal and then when you want to upgrade for the NEX to then buy a NEX brushless gimbal. Trying to buy one gimbal for both cameras could cause more hassle than its worth and possibly ultimately be more expensive than 2 appropriate sized gimbals. Balancing of brushless gimbals is vital for quality video.
To get quality video from a servo based gimbal takes an awful lot of time and a decent chunk of money.

Trying to cover 2 options with one gimbal if video is part of future needs is probably going to be a harder and costlier option.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'm with you Stacky. I was talking more about the MR industry - which in the scheme of things isn't that old itself really. I know the servos have been used for longer than the brushless type - but brushless is where this particular industry is headed (I'm not sure about the other industries that utilize gimbals), with a bullet. When looking at the cost coming down so quick - it's safe to assume that almost every pilot will be able to have at least a 'decent' gimbal for a reasonable price, if you can't already.

Obviously the controller side will continue to grow and mature as well. It seems to me the code side vs the mechanical side will be the thing that keeps changing and difficult to keep up with.

Unfortunately I'm not someone who can help iron out code kinks :)

Jaybeast

I agree with you guys about going the way of the brushless gimbal, especially if you're shooting video. There are way more options available today for much less money than there were a couple of years ago when I was buying.
I also chose a servo based gimbal because it was less complex of a setup. Getting very familiar and adept with a basic system felt more important. After all, what good is having high-end components if you can't control your MR.
I think I mentioned this earlier but a servo gimbal doesn't need a separate controller or power source... Just plug it into the Naza for 2 axis support. This works for me since I mainly shoot stills.

chipwich

I prefer not to candy coat it. Servo gimbals suck. I spent the better part of a year trying to get the jitters out of one, swapping servos, staying up all night tinkering with settings both in my transmitter and FC, relocating it, trying different landing gear, and basically pulling my hair out. I was never so happy as the day I sold that thing as part of a landing gear set. OK, the birth of our first child and the day that I returned my Comcast cable boxes to become a cable cutter are pretty close :) The Tarot T-2D and the DJI H3-2D are basically plug and play, with the Tarot slightly less friendly due to the motor interfering with the USB interface and memory port side of the camera. Forget about hauling a bigger camera with you F550. Save your lunch money and build a bigger platform once you've out-grown it. You'll learn a lot with your F550, and then can migrate the FC and FPV gear to your next rig.

Jaybeast

Chipwich,
Do you have any experience with brushless gimbals that can accommodate a Sony Nex size camera? Are there any that might be a direct plug into the Naza or would I need a separate controller? I'm controlling the pan/tilt of the camera from my rx but want roll to be handled by a controller.

PCMAerial

Got the ARF f550 kit! Hyped

-f550 frame
-30A ESC's
-2212 Motors
-10" props

Do I need any additional wiring or connectors to solder this kit together? Never soldered before, just want to make sure I have everything needed on the first purchase

Ordered a 4s LiPo to connect. Thanks for the gimbal info also, purchasing one tomorrow!

Jaybeast

Congrats PCM!
You're gonna have a blast putting this together. Take it slow and be methodical.
One small note- dji recommends using a 3S lipo with 10" props and 4S with 8" props. If you bought the F550 kit it should include both prop sizes.

Also, the kit will include all necessary wires to assemble. You should confirm your lipo has a deans plug so you can connect it to the power plug on the 550.

Good luck and feel free to ask for help.

-J

chipwich

Chipwich,
Do you have any experience with brushless gimbals that can accommodate a Sony Nex size camera? Are there any that might be a direct plug into the Naza or would I need a separate controller? I'm controlling the pan/tilt of the camera from my rx but want roll to be handled by a controller.

I don't have any personal experience, but would probably go with the FoxTech Falcom Pro, just because it's likely to be sorted out and has decent support. This one looks like it could be good for the money.

chipwich

Got the ARF f550 kit! Hyped

-f550 frame
-30A ESC's
-2212 Motors
-10" props

Do I need any additional wiring or connectors to solder this kit together? Never soldered before, just want to make sure I have everything needed on the first purchase

Ordered a 4s LiPo to connect. Thanks for the gimbal info also, purchasing one tomorrow!

Your bottom plate serves as the PDB, so you won't need anything extra. Search for the Aerial Media Pros F550 build video. It's a couple of years old, but the best one that I've seen. I would suggest soldering a couple of JST male pigtails to connect FPV, a brushless gimbal, or LEDs. I ended up taking mine apart and soldering the LED leads for each arm right where the respective ESCs connect to the PDB, but you could just solder one JST and connect a LED harness. It depends on how you like your toast. LEDs are optional, but they really help with orientation, especially for new pilots.

Good luck and post any build questions.

PS: Jaybeast is correct. You should run 8" props with a 4S lipo. It will feel sluggish with the 10" props with a 4S. They are cheap and you will be breaking them on a regular basis. That's good, because rather the plastic props break than something expensive :) They should be hand tight only, and whatever you do, don't use threadlock on plastic parts, including props. The threadlock degrades the plastic turning them into missles :O

Last edited by a moderator:

PCMAerial

Your bottom plate serves as the PDB, so you won't need anything extra. Search for the Aerial Media Pros F550 build video. It's a couple of years old, but the best one that I've seen. I would suggest soldering a couple of JST male pigtails to connect FPV, a brushless gimbal, or LEDs. I ended up taking mine apart and soldering the LED leads for each arm right where the respective ESCs connect to the PDB, but you could just solder one JST and connect a LED harness. It depends on how you like your toast. LEDs are optional, but they really help with orientation, especially for new pilots.

Good luck and post any build questions.

PS: Jaybeast is correct. You should run 8" props with a 4S lipo. It will feel sluggish with the 10" props with a 4S. They are cheap and you will be breaking them on a regular basis. That's good, because rather the plastic props break than something expensive :) They should be hand tight only, and whatever you do, don't use threadlock on plastic parts, including props. The threadlock degrades the plastic turning them into missles :O

Awesome! I'm going to pick up my soldering iron today to get things setup for when the kit comes in. I'm definitely going with the LED's for that reason alone. Orientation.

So I'm looking at some 8" APC props, and 4s 5100mAh LiPo.

Props: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/in...uct_info&cPath=53_56_138_302&products_id=2046

Battery: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1408

These seem compatible? I'm guessing the deans connector is included on the battery there in the picture? Do I need another connection on the rig for the battery

Can't wait to start putting this kit together. Couldn't do it without this website. The controller went out of stock before I ordered (my luck again) so I'm back looking for another FrSky Taranis X8r Combo as recommended by Scott. In the meantime I'll setup the rig. If I can get these props/batteries aligned we'll be good to go!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think all the batteries from RMRC come with deans. They will look brown/maroon in the photo. It should say it in the battery info.

If the f550 comes with that - stick with the same. Most people steered me early on toward XT-60, but there are countless Deans fans out there - so you should be all set, and not resold wrong battery leads w
having never soldered might be your best bet :)

the taranis sold out???

PCMAerial

I think all the batteries from RMRC come with deans. They will look brown/maroon in the photo. It should say it in the battery info.

If the f550 comes with that - stick with the same. Most people steered me early on toward XT-60, but there are countless Deans fans out there - so you should be all set, and not resold wrong battery leads w
having never soldered might be your best bet :)

the taranis sold out???

Awesome, I think the deans connector is included on the battery. So I'm almost done piecing all of the other parts together. Would everyone say there is enough wiring already in the kit for someone who has never soldered, or if I need extra wiring/harness/connectors? Not sure if I'll be clipping and re-soldering, or if it's not that bad.

Got a call yesterday my f550 kit was shipped but the Naza v2 wasn't in stock (my luck again), so I opted for a refund and got another GPS shipped same day. Back on track lol. Taranis sold out at the website I was looking at, so I'm searching for another source preferably in US or with decent shipping rates if overseas.

Almost there!